Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Croup...not going away??

Friday night we went to the ER with our ds C. He is 2. He woke up at midnight and was gasping for breath. To me it sounded like a severe asthma attack. My ds had asthma as a child as did my brother and 2 of my aunts. I remember listening to my brother wheeze and cough and this sounded very similar.

At the ER they gave him a decadron steroid shot and 2 breathing treatments called duoneb (not albuterol). When we went home he was still wheezing slightly but better. They said it was croup...last time he had croup it was almost gone the second day and completely done the third day.

Yesterday I took him to my ped's office because he woke up wheezing again. Of course...when he got there he wasn't wheezing anymore. She said to give the steroid 24 hours to work. She gave me nothing more.

Last night he started wheezing again. This morning...still wheezing. It's not as bad as it was Friday night...but he has never sounded like this before. He doesn't seen terribly bothered my it...but I am.

If I take him again tomorrow then I will have another copay and I'll miss a day of work. Should I take him or see if it clears up??

my iPhone tries to read my mind...and it's usually off

Advertisement

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

If he's still sounding bad tomorrow, I'd call the office & ask what they advise. Some health insurance companies offer a 24 hour nurse line for questions. Maybe see if your ins company has a website that may have more information about if yours offers that so you could call to ask anytime.
My son was diagnosed with croup on a Tuesday & by Friday was admitted to the hospital for a few days with pneumonia this past December. It just kept getting worse.
Do you have a nebulizer at home or any meds for that?

Last edited by ssand23; 03-18-2012 at 08:55 PM.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Croup...not going away??

Kearnan had croup a couple of weeks ago and it took well over a week to actually go away. That being said Kearnan is 10 and never actually got strider, he just had a nasty cough. I only took him to the doctor because I thought he had a sinus infection and if he did I wanted to start him on antibiotics so it would get cleared up (in my experience sinus infections just don't go away on their own). If your child is experiencing strider and the normal tricks (steamy shower for 5 minutes followed by exposure to cool air like cold night or an open freezer) don't work I would go see the doctor for a follow up. It is possible that your child has been misdiagnosed or that he needs further treatment.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I plan on taking him in again tomorrow. I do have a nebulizer and gave him a treatment today. It didn't seem to help at all.

I think part of it is allergies...my dh has been struggling with his terribly. But my ped won't write an rx because I can get it OTC...but all the OTC brands don't seem to do anything for Carson.

I was just surprised they didn't give me anything to take home from the ER or from my ped's office!!! I even asked if there was anything and she told me to give him mucinex...which isn't labeled as "safe" until the child is 6.

Grrrrr...I haven't slept well in 3 nights and I'm getting crabby.

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is nothing you can give children for croup, it is a virus. There is a children's mucinex though, you can buy it at the grocery store around here. You really need to talk to the doctor and find out if it is something other than croup and if there is something else you can do to treat. Other wise a nebulizer or any of the other meds really won't do anything you just have to wait it out. The pedi told me that ibuprofen would help reduce Kearnan's fever and some of the swelling in his throat that restricts breathing and causes coughing.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my DD had croup with scary sounding stridor, her ped prescribed dexamethasone (oral liquid) to alleviate it. I thought she was having an asthma attack because it wasn't just the seal like cough and he explained that asthma is more in the bronchial tubes while croup stridor is up in the trachea. I have zero experience with asthma in my family.

The medication wasn't to heal the actual cause of croup, but to allow her to breathe.

It's really weird. My oldest, who has allergies, never had croup at all, but my younger two (who don't have allergies) have it about once a year. DH also goes to the doctor every year or so thinking he has strep and is diagnosed with a throat infection and prescribed stuff to gargle. I'd never heard of such a thing before.

I don't have any advice to give you. I just thought maybe my sharing would help in some way. It is scary when they can't breathe right and you can't help them-especially when they get upset and it becomes a viscious cycle.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thanks guys. I thik he's doing better this morning. He's still sleeping which is huge!!

I am not a big "give them medicine" person..unless they really need it. I guess I felt that the ped I saw just brushed it off as "no big deal" while my son is sitting there struggling to breathe.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
aries416
Registered Users
seller

For my dd, croups lasts weeks. It's awful.

The first time, she was just getting Prednisone and albuterol. The second time she got the same treatment as your son and they told me I could give her breathing treatments with albuterol at home. It does clear up, it's just slow.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Anyone know how long it is contagious?? I am staying home from work today but if I need to stay home another day I will need to make some major arrangements!!

He still has short bouts of wheezing usually I'd he gets riled up or upset but it goes away quickly. He goes to an in-home daycare.