Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

Thinking ahead to summer and my snow white baby girl.

Hi Mommas!

I need some help with my snow white DD and the summer rays. I tan easily and almost never wear sunscreen and my dd is very fair skinned so I'm not sure exactly what the best way to prevent sun exposure?? I'm really not crazy about slathering her with sunscreen but will if it's the best way to prevent sunburn. We are also an outdoorsy kind of family so I expect to be outside as much as possible.

If you have fair skinned children what do you use to limit UV exposure?

Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Angel89411
Banned

I burn easily. I have to wear sunblock and a hat really helps since my scalp burns (ouch!). I tend to wear pants or capris the first part of summer. With fair skin, it needs to be a gradual thing. Like if I spend several hours in the sun my first time out, I will burn no matter what I do. So I try to only spend 1-2 hours out at a time. Once my skin builds a little color, I can go a little longer. I tend to try to stick to places where I can easily retreat to the shade to watch my family play.

Married since 1-23-07. 2 beautiful sons born 4-24-08 and 11-3-11. 1 baby waiting in heaven since 1-13-11.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Long sleeved rash guard when swimming and just limiting exposure and sunscreen when she is gonna be out in the blazing sun. There aren't a lot of options.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

I'm looking into the rash guard. Aren't they super hot? I can't imagine wearing long sleeves when it's 90 degrees outside. But I guess that's better than getting a sun burn.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
craigwick
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thinking ahead to summer and my snow white baby girl.

I dress the kids and myself in long-sleeve cotton shirts and either cotton pants or capris, plus hats if we are going to be in the sun for a long time. DH thinks I'm nuts and that they will overheat, but they are fine (we drinks lots of water) and on the super hot days I keep them inside during the heat of the day anyways.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For anyone, fair or not, darkening of the skin(tanning) is damage to the skin. I have my daughter wear long sleeved rash guards. The kind with the mock turtle neck. She always wears it for swimming. I also have her wear it outside to play.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Jrsfitpromo
Registered Users

So glad I found this post. I am fair/medium skinned, but tan within minutes of being outside. And by tan, I mean, BLACK. My husband on the other hand...isnt so lucky. He gets red, splotchy, and sometimes even boils from the sun I know our daughter, born this upcoming July, will have his light skin, and was wondering what to use on her as well. We use BLUE LIZARD on him, its the only thing that works. They make a baby version, so I might try that. Living in Florida, we love to be outside, so I know this will be one of the hardest tasks lol
Jrsfitpromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our family is the pasty pale family. I used rash guards for swimming for the kids, and used sun lotion on everyone. Hats if you can get them to keep them on are great.
When they are very young we would keep them shaded in the stroller to lessen how much sun lotion we used. But I'd still put some on them. I loved long cotton pants on my guys when they were babies, like karate pants, loose with elastic waists, not tight like leggings or anything.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for everyone's responses!! I think rash guard is the way to go. I'm off to FSOT to see if I can snag some used ones...that is unless you Mommas have 12 month ones you're no longer using and are interested in selling
Old 03-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is a red head with almost see through pale skin. I use sunscreen, a wide brimmed hat, rash guards and we try really hard to stay out of the blazing sun, especially from 12-4 in the afternoon. She is almost three and never had a sunburn. I am the insane sunscreen mother around here. LOL!