Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #11
Layney82
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is tap water okay?

I always used tap water, but i boiled it until DS turned 1. Our water supply is safe, but contamination can always happen, so I boiled it anyway. I just boiled it in a regular kettle for 10 minutes, then put it in his bottles/cups in the fridge every morning.

Advertisement

Layney82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
lovegift822
Registered Users

Enjoyed reading everyone's helpful tips. Looking forward to striking out into the formula world with our adopted baby girl when she finally arrives. Trying to learn all I can now.
lovegift822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just use plain tap water.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
lilmomma83
Registered Users

We also just use tap...funny. drives my MIL crazy lol
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
04liquidS
Registered Users
seller
seller

We've used tap water since DS was born. I even checked with his pediatrician and he said it was fine. My mom thought I should boil the water though.
Delayed/selective vaxing, APing, BWing, ERFing, CDing & non circing SAHM to Owen Rylan born 7/13/11 & #2!

Fur mom to Lucy, Gunner, Pookie and Briscoe.
04liquidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Boiling water doesn't really do anything but concentrate the chemicals in it. It evaporates water, but not the chemicals so it becomes more concentrated. I used formula for my son from about 9 months on and I always used tap water. But I found out later of all the harmful effects that fluoride can have on children and pregnant women. Do a little research and see cause that's something that I never really thought about. Our whole family now only drinks bottled water.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #17
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

We use tap water for formula. For our oldest we used jugs of water because we had a well and I hadn't had the water tested at all, plus it was super irony and sulphur-y and it was super gross to drink. But for my second and now this baby we have municipal water so I just use it straight from the tap
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD started on formula supplementation at 5 months and we always used tap water. My parents have a well and we used well water (not boiled) for her bottles there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMommyLife View Post
Boiling water doesn't really do anything but concentrate the chemicals in it. It evaporates water, but not the chemicals so it becomes more concentrated. I used formula for my son from about 9 months on and I always used tap water. But I found out later of all the harmful effects that fluoride can have on children and pregnant women. Do a little research and see cause that's something that I never really thought about. Our whole family now only drinks bottled water.
Boiling water is to kill the germs/bacteria in the water, not to remove the chemicals. If you want to remove chemicals you have to either filter or distill. Also, not every water district adds fluoride, ours doesn't.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #19
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

99% of the time we use tap water that has been filtered through a Brita. I have never boiled the water. In a pinch I have used straight (non-filtered) tap water without issues.
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #20
ALNaturMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you have nitrates in your water, no way, because that's toxic to babies. I live in an area where we get water from a lake/river that has conventional agriculture runoff, so we used ready-to-feed formula, or the baby water from the stores. There's no good way to remove nitrates at home that is proven enough for me. If there are no nitrates in the water, then I don't see a problem using filtered tap water beyond the newbie stage.
ALNaturMom is offline   Reply With Quote