Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need help finding girl clothes

My dd is really tall for her age, or rather she has a super long torso! She wears a 5 slim with adjustable waist band for pants, but she prefers skirts and dresses. For shirts if they are the right size 5-6 they are way too short and show her tummy if she moves at all. If I size up they dont fit everywhere else Where can I get longer tops and dresses that will still fit her everywhere else?

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Gap has clothes that really cater to this. My little sister has this problem as well. When she was little Gymboree had clothes that fit her well. I hope this helps!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need help finding girl clothes

Gap and Gymbo are way out of my price range for a 5 year old, but thanks!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
rottenapple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is in the same boat- she's way tall all over!! These are my 2 solutions for you, for cheap (hopefully)
Mine wears a lot of her old "dresses" like the cotton play dresses from carters or wherever as tunic tops with leggings or bike shorts underneath. She gets away with wearing regular smaller sized leggins (like 3T) as capri length under her old dresses that now look like tunics. For dresses that you want to look like dresses, I find that buying her about a size 6 with the ties that tie in back fit well because you can tie it to adjust her skinny self.
The other day DD was wearing a pair of DS's 24 month cotton pants as her capris-
Good luck mama!!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Lots of cotton dresses here to hide the belly. I hate when shirts and such are noticeably too big in the shoulders, so larger shirts are generally a no go.

I have a long torso like my daughter and my mom made most of my clothes growing up, which is only helpful if you can sew.

When I needed dresses to be dressy, we always did the empire waist so that the difference in normal waist clothes and my actual waistline wasn't obvious.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenapple
My DD is in the same boat- she's way tall all over!! These are my 2 solutions for you, for cheap (hopefully)
Mine wears a lot of her old "dresses" like the cotton play dresses from carters or wherever as tunic tops with leggings or bike shorts underneath. Good luck mama!!
Oh yeah! And this!

We totally do this. I bought a 2t dress last year for this year and now it barely covers her bottom. But it fits her chest perfectly and looks like a little top. Lots and lots of these. Which is great for recycling clothes. Dresses last year - shirts this year (doesn't work with all styles, obviously).
Old 03-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was going to suggest Gap as well. My DD is now 9, and we still struggle with this. Sometimes her tops are just boxy to be long enough. I'd also suggest tunic tops w/ leggings for spring!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love Land's End jersey dresses, tunics and legging. I shop the sale section with codes.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bike shorts or leggings under dresses. Extends the life of dresses too!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
mom2cse
Registered Users
seller

I also find that Kohls has a few shirts with stickers marked "extra long". I have found these few and far between in the store, but they have fit wonderfully. I never tried looking on their website, but I may try that soon and let you know if I have any luck.
mom2cse is offline   Reply With Quote