Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Calling all stroller experts!

We are a multi-stroller family and I need help re-stashing!

Currently we only have our Bugaboo which I mainly use for walks around the neighborhood. I had planned on replacing the City Mini I just sold off last week with a new one. I have an (almost) 4 year old and a 10 month old. Here's what we need:

2 good quality jogging strollers. DH wants a double b/c he thinks it will be cheaper, but I'd rather have 2 singles. No way I could push both kids while jogging and I've heard that the side by side doubles tend to pull toward the side with the larger child. I love the tandem Phil and Ted's but I don't think it's really meant for jogging. Are any of the Phil and Ted's actually jogging strollers?

Something for regular trips to Disney World. Ideally, I'd love to just use my city mini, have DD1 walk, and wear the baby in the ergo when DD1 needs a break. We did this with our bugaboo yesterday at the parks and she was fine. However, the thought of wearing the baby for extended time in the summer is not really appealing to me or DH. We are considering a sit and stand for this. I don't want anything to complicated or bulky to close if we need to get on a tram or bus. We do not want to take 2 strollers to Disney!

We will most likely be selling the bugaboo once we have the others I have a love/hate relationship with this one!

Advertisement

kts1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Anniee19
Registered Users
seller

Re: Calling all stroller experts!

I just sold my Mountain Buggy and a Quinny to get a new Phil and Teds Explorer. I don't need the doubles seat yet, but we plan on having another baby in a year or two and the store threw it in for free. I can't comment on how heavy or hard to push it would be with 2 children.

Anyways, I've only had the Phil and Teds for a week but I love it so much. It is just as easy to jog with as my Mountain Buggy was. I love the fact that is isn't huge and adding the doubles seat doesn't make the stoller any bigger. I used my aunt's Explorer in California on vacation and loved the stroller so much that I had to get one for myself.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
noahs naturally
Registered Users
seller

I'm by no means an expert, but just wanted to share that we found our City Mini Double to be indispensable at Disneyland for our 3 & 1 yo. The light weight and huge sunshades came in handy, and we kept drinks, blankets, and warmer clothes for nighttime tucked in the storage basket underneath; we just hung the diaper bag from the handle, even though you're not technically supposed to. And I like how easily it folds if we had needed to collapse it. It carried everything we needed for a full day out, and we just reclined it all the way for both kids' naps. From what I've read about Disney World, strollers for even older kids (5-6 yos) are considered a must because of how exhausting and spread out everything is. If I were you, I would see if I could test out a City Elite Double with both kids in it; it might be easier to jog with than you think. With my BJCMD, I haven't noticed any drifting to one side, though as the kids get heavier it's harder to lift it to go up curbs. Hills with both kids is starting to get challenging, but on flat roads I haven't noticed any difference. How were you planning on jogging with both kids with just a single stroller?

The Phil & Ted Explorer was so tempting due to its small footprint, but I decided it wasn't for us since the kids like to sit next to each other and see things, and I like that both seats recline and each had full-coverage sunshades, which is why we went with the bulkier side-by-side. Have fun researching your options, and good luck finding something that's perfect for your family's needs!

ETA I reread and saw that you are considering 2 jogging strollers, so I assume you only go jogging when DH is around. If that's the case, just have him push the double stroller!

Last edited by noahs naturally; 03-19-2012 at 12:56 PM.
noahs naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniee19 View Post
I just sold my Mountain Buggy and a Quinny to get a new Phil and Teds Explorer. I don't need the doubles seat yet, but we plan on having another baby in a year or two and the store threw it in for free. I can't comment on how heavy or hard to push it would be with 2 children.

Anyways, I've only had the Phil and Teds for a week but I love it so much. It is just as easy to jog with as my Mountain Buggy was. I love the fact that is isn't huge and adding the doubles seat doesn't make the stoller any bigger. I used my aunt's Explorer in California on vacation and loved the stroller so much that I had to get one for myself.
I'm leaning towards this a bit if it can be used to jog with 2 kids. We could still use it as a single when DD1 outgrows strollers.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just got the P&T's Explorer and love it so far. Using it with a toddler and nb. Very easy to handle even with both of them and a diaper bag. Only thing I've noticed is that with it set-up for a nb (with the extra seat on the front not the back) it tends to be top heavy, b/c the toddler is way up front. I found that going down a curb it wanted to tip over sideways (not a good thing!). But I think once the baby can sit up and use it with the extra seat in the back it will be fine.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
kts1120
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does anyone know if the explorer and/or the vibe are really jogging strollers? Everything I'm reading only refers to "all-terrain".
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
nkmcginty
Registered Users
seller

my sis in law has the phil and ted vibe and uses it as a jogging stroller. she said it works great! i love hers so much, i plan on getting one before this newbie gets here in september. also i think i remember someone telling me that when you see "all terrain", that means its suitable for jogging. i can't remember if the front wheel locks or not, like a typical jogging stroller would. do you have a store near you that sells them so you could try both out in it and see what you think?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Explorer feels much like the BOB to me, in the way it handles, I'm sure it could be a good jogging stroller. It has wheels that need to be filled with air like a bike--one component of jogging strollers--and does have a locking front wheel. Not sure what the differences are in the Vibe though.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
adahsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that it really depends on what you want out of a jogging stroller. If you are going to run short distances on smooth, level paved surfaces I think it would be fine. If you are running more than a mile or two, on gravel or dirt or on uneven pavement I think you want a larger, fixed wheel jogger. I found the P&T to be pretty miserable for real running, but awesome for long walks.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Anniee19
Registered Users
seller

I've only used my Explorer for short jogs, but I think it handles great and we live on a dirt road. The front wheel does lock very easily.
Regarding the Vibe, I have read a lot of mixed reviews but almost all Explorer reviews I have seen are positive.