Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyIvy
What kind of crafts are good for an 18mo old? My 4yo DD will basically do anything, but finding something for my DS has proved challenging. He's in the "eating everything, especially crayons" stage, so coloring is out of the question. Lol.
We color (17month), but I have to give 1 crayon at a time cause she's in a stage where she likes to see how many things she can hold at a time and will grab all the colors and walk off.

Finger paints... (chocolate pudding or yogurt if you're worried).

Random things from pinterest - this drop things in a water bottle and then fill with water and swirl.

She's very into playing with the water faucet now so I just ordered a water table, but a big bowl and cups and funnels would work. Or the bathtub.

Developmental therapist suggested dry beans for sensory fun, so will be getting some and filling up her infant tub with those.

Um... We go outside a lot. Even when it's cold.

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you fill your day?

Make some play clay! It's non toxic, but it really doesn't taste very good!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
SugarAndSpiceX3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyIvy View Post
What kind of crafts are good for an 18mo old? My 4yo DD will basically do anything, but finding something for my DS has proved challenging. He's in the "eating everything, especially crayons" stage, so coloring is out of the question. Lol.
Fingerpaint/Paint for DD and let DS "fingerpaint" with vanilla pudding tinted with food coloring

You can make the "playdoh" with the flour recipe so if he eats it, it won't be too bad.

We decorate cookies a lot, or I'll make a pan of rice krispies and let the kids cut them out with cookie cutters

Container garden/ant farm/butterfly garden

Fruit Loop Sand- Have kids divide colors, let them crush in baggies, and use as sand art in various containers or baby food jars.

Pasta Jewelry

Tissue Paper Vinegar Art- coat white construction paper lightly with vinegar and cut various shapes out of colored tissue paper. Stick the tissue paper on the construction paper. When it dries the tissue paper will fall off, but the dye remains...almost as fun as painting, and a TON less messy.

Paint Bread- fill small cups with milk, add food coloring. Paint on the bread, making sure it doesn't get soaked. When finished, toast, and wah-la, colorful masterpiece, craft, and snack.

Make a bird feeder using peanut butter and the preferred feed of your local birds

Really there are 1000 different things. We live in the country, so we are outside a lot. Bubbles, sidewalk chalk, ect. Sometimes I hide items and the kids hunt them. Sometimes we go on a nature scavenger hunt. We do a lot of cooking and gardening, even container gardens are simple. We do basic science experiments. However both DP and I work usually more than full time, so my problem is the exact opposite. I'm trying to find time to even do these things.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I definitely have days like that. And we are literally an ADHD household. Walks, drives (especially if I get overwhelmed), trips to Wal-Mart (my kids' favorite place, lol), walk to the park, go to the gym (need to get back on a schedule with that), read books. Wagon rides, play in the back yard (have lots of cars and slides), try to get them to play independently while I clean (notice I said 'try' lol), sing songs, ask them questions (body parts, colors, numbers, etc), occasional playdates at the mall or bounce house, baths, having them
"help" me clean.

Some days I do really well. Others are a loss, lol. We probably have the tv or iPad going too often. Give my 2yo an iPad and he will be on Netflix watching ironman within too minutes.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try to find some programs/groups in your area. I felt very much like you initially, but over time we found a weekly playgroup, which led to making some friends and then additional weekly playdates that really keep everyone involved and engaged.

We try to do one major event per day - playgroup, swimming, long walk and play at the park, museum or mall in the winter - then lunch, naptime, and at-home activities in the afternoon - water table, waterbeads in the bathtub, train table, coloring, even jumping on the bed. Once DH gets home, we do a small outing like a walk in the neighborhood or some time on the swings across the street, then dinner and books/quiet play until bedtime.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #16
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We LOVE peanut butter play doh in our house. It's messy but the kids love it and it tastes good. I saved our old shower curtain liner that I use for a drop cloth and let em go. We also paint with pudding which you can add food coloring to vanilla if you want different colors. I took our 2 youngest 2 to pick out flower seeds today and they're planting some flowers tomorrow afternoon This weekend we're potting seeds for mothers day gifts. Our YMCA kid watch room has a short but wide crate of dry rice that the kids love. One thing that my kidsLOVE to do is clean. If I give them a cleaning rag with water/vinegar on it they'll wipe down the woodwork and the door handles for me
Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #17
jacquelinemarie82
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I suggest starting a preschool program for your kids...maybe do 30 minutes a day or maybe 2 30-minute segments for your older one.

I am doing this with my 2 year old. First we sing songs, then read, then do our worksheets for the day. (usually 2) We print off the 1+1+1 blog site. That has really helped give us some structure to the time we spend together.

Then I try to do one other activity during the day such as her indoor sandbox, making cookies/bread, playing baby dolls, puzzles/felt board, chalkboard, etc.

Also, make sure that any day you can, go outside! Even if you have to bundle up and come back in after 15 minutes.

You might also try to find a mommy and me exercise video or kids exercise or dance video so you call can do that a few times a week.

I advise finding indoor activities because trips to the zoo/museum/etc. are not normally done everyday! It costs money for many of those things if only the gas money to get there. Kids don't have to be constantly entertained or having trips however having no structure or activity will make them whiney and begging for your attention due to boredom.
jacquelinemarie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try to limit it to 1 "major kid-centered event" per weekend (I WOH) and one errands-etc trip per day. DD is 14 mo.
I have discovered that a trip to Petsmart is a parents dream come true on a rainy, cold afternoon. DD loooooves to look at the fish, birds, small mammals, and every dog in the place. Most owners - once they see DD giggle, clap her hands, and say "Do-Do!" - will let her pet them. We have dogs at home and I'm always right there so I don't have a problem with it.
Seriously can turn a 15 min errand (dog food) into a 1.5 hour field trip.

I am also at the point where most arts/crafts projects result in DD having crayon stuck in her teeth, so I love the idea of PB play dough. Off to google...