View Poll Results: What would you do
Cerclage 6 15.38%
No cerclage 23 58.97%
Wait and have emergency cerclage if needed, or other intervention, knowing the risks are higher 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
lemurkinsmommy's Avatar
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lethbridge AB
Posts: 2,242
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

The records of your birth will be at the hospital you delivered at and you can get them, you might need to pay for them though and I do agree seek a second opinion and ask alot of questions.

Advertisement

__________________
Rosina, mommy to L (02-08-07) A (17-02-09) & A (05-06-12) the lights of my life, married to B my superhero!
lemurkinsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #32
lemurkinsmommy's Avatar
lemurkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lethbridge AB
Posts: 2,242
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eguisgirl View Post
I agree with this post (I am also an L&D RN) with the exception that I would *not* have a doula read your chart for you. They are not medical. They are excellent labor support and birth professionals but they are not medical and therefore would not be able to interpret your chart (not only that, but I believe it would be out of their scope of practice and this raises some liability concerns).

Good luck making this decision!!
As a doula I agree with this!
__________________
Rosina, mommy to L (02-08-07) A (17-02-09) & A (05-06-12) the lights of my life, married to B my superhero!
lemurkinsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #33
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,069
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria View Post
Thanks .

I have been talking to doctors and midwifes and this is a decision I have to make. I feel I've been given great advice on this board with so many women I respect for several situations in my life and this post is seeking more advice. E.g pulling my old records to have more information about DD's birth for more clarity on things that don't add up. Also, getting a second opinion and hearing stories about people who have had the cerclage. I had no considered these things and for that I'm thankful for the responses.
You should be able to get your records from your GP as well. My entire chart was transferred to my GP once I was no longer under the care of my midwives. If I were you, I would have that chart viewed by both another Ob Gyn and a team of midwives and decide from there. I think you will get a very rounded perspective of what could have been going on and what that means for this pregnancy.
__________________
Please excuse my spelling- I am typing with one hand and trying to hold on to my sanity with the other.

Last edited by Kirsie; 03-21-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Kirsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #34
MinkaK's Avatar
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vegas :)
Posts: 11,439
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

From what you have said, I wouldn't do a cerclage. You were 37w with your pregnancy. I had my DS1 at 37w4d, I went to an appt and they found me to be at 6cm-so essentially in labor- and no one has ever mentioned that I need a cerclage for previous pregnancies. ( I had previously been hospitalized for preterm labor with that pregnancy). I would much prefer to have my cervix monitored. ( My mother had a cerclage with my second sister. The labor went so quick she went through the stitches. THAT scares me.)

Second pregnancy I was 36w3d when she was born ( first baby got stuck, so this one was preventive to 'get so big' induction)
Third pregnancy I was 38w3d and was induced with pit by request.
__________________
Alana
Mama to my sweet babies 2007, 2009, 2011 and someone new in 2014
MinkaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #35
vmomma's Avatar
vmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 5,477
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
That is too little information and we are not doctors. I wouldn't be getting advice from an internet message board on something so serious. I think you should talk to a few professionals for more opinions if you want further advice.
This exactly

Sorry you are having to make this decision, mama! If you were to post your question on an Incompetent Cervix board, you would get the exact opposite response! Women who are very educated on the cerclage, it's risks and benefits would most certainly recommend a preventative cerclage vs. a "wait and see" approach. From your history, it does sound like you your cervix is somewhat weak, or "incompetent". I have IC, and had a preventative cerclage with my 25 weeker.

The risks you listed for the cerclage are risks, but the chance of those things happening with a "preventative cerclage", are VERY slim. However, if you wait until your cervix thins and the uterus is larger, the risks go up significantly. Also, automatic bedrest is not necessary with a cerclage. Only if you start to shorten will you need to rest. You may be looking at certain bedrest without the support of the cerclage. Many women with a cerclage do not need bedrest. It really depends on how weak your cervix is. Most cases of IC show itself by 20-21 weeks, so I would assume you should do very well if you choose a cerclage.

My cervix is just about as bad as they get, and even the preventative cerclage could not keep my cervix long enough. However, with it, I would have certainly lost Violet. My water broke at 23 weeks because my cervix was so short, so I tend to agree with your doctor that you were lucky to make it as far as you did without complications. I have an abdominal cerclage with my current pregnancy and have not done 1 day of bedrest!

The surgery was very easy and I had no complications as a result of the cerclage. I'm curious as to why your risk of C/S would be higher? Generally, the cerclage is removed at 36-38 weeks and you will go into labor just the same.

The other option, of "wait and see", would involve a lot of monitoring as well. You would still need to see a specialist and have your cervix measured at least every 2 weeks. The problem with a weak cervix is that it thins and dilates FAST and it's painless! You probably won't have bleeding or contractions. That's part of the phenomenon! You may have a long closed cervix at 18 weeks, and when you go back at 20 weeks, it may be gone and it will be very risky to have a cerclage done at that point.

I saw someone mention progesterone and that the cerclage was old school. That is not true at all. Progesterone may be given along with the stitch to prevent contractions, just in case, but 17P was designed to prevent PTL, not IC. There are some studies that say it 17P may help with cervical length, but the data is not enough to support it's use. I am on the progesterone injections (17P) with this pregnancy as a precaution. No harm in that, but that alone certainly does not fix my weak cervix!


If you would like any more information, please don't hesitate to send me a PM. I just wanted to give you some info from the other side I wish you the very best in your pregnancy!!

Check out this forum that I found very supportive with my cervical issues! The women on the forum have a wealth of information and experience when it comes to IC, and the cerclage! Good luck with your decision.

http://ic.hobh.org/forums/index.php
__________________
MELISSA, PT Baby RN/Wanna be WAHM Married to Ryan MOMMY TO 25 weeker, VIOLET RAINE 4-13-09,and Juliet Coral 5-15-12
vmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #36
EuphoricDysphoria's Avatar
EuphoricDysphoria
Registered Users
Formerly: laubear
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,080
My Mood:
Update

I spoke to another specialist and she told me the fact that I made it to 37 weeks means more than dilating early. She didn't think it was necessary to have a cerclage put in place. She even said a midwife is fine.

Im going to try and get one more opinion before making the final decision in 3 weeks.
__________________
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -- Ambrose Redmoon
EuphoricDysphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #37
fish3737's Avatar
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,882
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmomma View Post
This exactly



I saw someone mention progesterone and that the cerclage was old school. That is not true at all. Progesterone may be given along with the stitch to prevent contractions, just in case, but 17P was designed to prevent PTL, not IC. There are some studies that say it 17P may help with cervical length, but the data is not enough to support it's use. I am on the progesterone injections (17P) with this pregnancy as a precaution. No harm in that, but that alone certainly does not fix my weak cervix!
This was me - I did not see that she had an incompetent cervix - but just that she had PTL. I was commenting on the PTL. They used to use the cerclage with PTL all the time. They recommend progesterone shots now if you have no cervical issues (my cervical length is fine - no leep procedures or other stuff) - I just like to dilate and efface early and have a prior history of it.

That is the old school part I was commenting about.

Mama - glad you can go with your midwife.

This poster - I'm so glad you are doing so well with this pregnancy - it is such a relief to have a "normalish" pregnancy after experiencing a stressful one.
__________________
Julie - SAHM to Daniel 11/06 - 34 weeks, Elizabeth Anne 5/08 - 35 weeks Katie Marie - 3/10 - 36 weeks, 6 days
fish3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #38
FerventlyDreaming's Avatar
FerventlyDreaming
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,693
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

I have not read everyones response but I will tell you why I had a preventative cerclage and why I recommend it if you think you have an incompetent cervix.

My first I lost due to a placental abruption at 21 weeks. At 15 weeks with my second I saw a high risk Dr/ Perintologist and decided to stay with her. They could see my cervix was short but not too short yet. Well it went back and forth until it got down to .5 cm at 21 weeks when they checked. I was sent in for a cerclage right away. It was scary and painful. I had contractions for the rest of my pregnancy and at 35 weeks DS had to be delivered.

With this pregnancy I knew I would have a cerclage right before 14 weeks. It was easy and I went home the same day (stayed a week with the emergency cerclage). Although I am not to lift anything heavy or do too much bending I am not on bedrest. (I was on bedrest for 20 weeks with DS) This is turning out much better so far and I wish they had just done it early with DS. The risk to you and baby is much smaller now than if you wait and need it in an emergency situation. It sounds scary but it is really not too bad.

You have to decide what is right for you but for me there were definitely more benefits than drawbacks. If you don't do the cerclage I would def want to be checked as often as weekly by vaginal ultrasound. The abdominal ultrasound is not as accurate.
__________________
[SIZE="3"]Megan, Wife to Ron, Mommy to Ben 5-7-09, Grant 4-22-10 Abby 6-16-12,Alex 6-15-15 You're so beautiful to think of, but so hard to be without, E no longer in our home, always in our heart

Last edited by FerventlyDreaming; 03-21-2012 at 07:09 PM.
FerventlyDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #39
Almacham
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slytherin House
Posts: 15,946
My Mood:
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuphoricDysphoria View Post
Update

I spoke to another specialist and she told me the fact that I made it to 37 weeks means more than dilating early. She didn't think it was necessary to have a cerclage put in place. She even said a midwife is fine.

Im going to try and get one more opinion before making the final decision in 3 weeks.
Good luck.
__________________
Sarah, mom of many
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #40
an_aurora's Avatar
an_aurora
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,425
Re: I have a scary decision to make...

oh great update!
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.