Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Just found out we have restrictions on our land! ERRR!

This property was sold to us as agg. never mentioned the restrictions. Aparently we can not have split hooved livestock! We are in the dang country, gimme a break! Some dumb-a** bought all the land out here (happening a lot lately) and broke it up into mini-farm plots, then called it some subdivision. Stupid land flippers. We go to pu a copy of the restrictions today. We can overturn it if 75% of the residents out here agree, which they all have them anyhow or told us to just go ahead. BUT..... we would need a lawer! No way could we ever spare $100 towards one. AHHHHHH!

We wanted some cows and pigs for the freezer. DH was going to get his hunting permit this year for hogs and deere, but I love fresh home grown pork. And the cows would have really helped us out.

We bought this place to become more self sustainable. What's the dang point now! And i have been begging hubby for a milking goat.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
kej
Registered Users
seller

Re: Just found out we have restrictions on our land! ERRR!

Are you positive you need a lawyer? Could you find a lawyer to barter with and trade him beef or pork once you've been successful?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

boo
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We only have enough acrage for a bull and heifer whick we would have bough young. We were hopeing to get an offspring each year to butcher every other year or something. So it would be a while. I dought I could find one up for that wait? The zoneing lady I spoke with said we would need a layer. I though it could be something done at the city councel meeting. I had no idea this sort of thing was so complicated. I figured a petition would be good enough. Good grief, we're in the country, it's not a subdivision just because they call it one on paper. It's just a big crock and I'm soo sad/irritated.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am so sorry, mama. Keep pushing, though. Do as much as you can, because you never know how far you can get without the lawyer. Maybe you will meet likeminded neighbours and such who can help out, too. A lot of people are changing restrictions around self-sustainability, so you never know what can happen.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think this is a situation where I will have to put the social anxiety on the back burner and just go talk to all of the neighbors. It may help! Thanks moma!
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #7
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I think this is a situation where I will have to put the social anxiety on the back burner and just go talk to all of the neighbors. It may help! Thanks moma!
You can do it!
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
fantasia1117
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What happens if you have the livestock in question?? Would one of your neighbors have to complain?
WOHM Mama to my two boys DS#1 (12/30/2007) and DS#2 (10/7/2010). Married to my amazing DH since 7/23/2005.
fantasia1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have something like this on our property too. We live in a so-called "upscale" named acreage subdivision where the zoning only allows us to have 2 animals for the first acre we own, then one animal for each additional acre. So technically we can only have 5 animals which I'm going to be 7 times that with our chickens alone! BUT, the neighbors have to make a complaint for the county to bother trying to enforce anything. Our place is very private, where the neighbors wont even be able to see what we have in our backyard. Yes, they'll hear noises, but I'm hoping it won't be enough to annoy them. Plus, the neighbor beside us has a home business with a big sign at the entrance to our subdivison as well as a sign in her front yard, and home businesses aren't allowed here either. We're only allowed to have 3 outbuildings total, and half the neighbors out here have more than that. So I think everyone just kind of does what they want anyways, and as long as you don't annoy your neighbors with it nobody cares or complains.

Could it be like that maybe where you live?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it is that way here! All the neighbors DH spoke with said it was acruddy rule and not a sole caler. To just get the animals and nobody would complain. I guess if we had the animal and we did somehow get a complaint, then we would have to go to the butcher early? Or rehome. Why do these people buy land in the middle of nowhere and try to make it a so called subdivision? makeing more money on the land or something? I just wish this was disclosed at the closing of the home. I specifically asked if it was zoned agg and we could have animals. This was the reply, "Oh yea hunny, you can have whatever you want here". So we didn't look for restrictions on the deed.