Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Simple activities for teaching alphabet?

My dd is 19 months old, and without me realizing it she has learned to recognize three letters of the alphabet. I am a little ashamed to admit...I think she learned the first 2 from Nick Jr.. Now that I know she can learn them- and is proud of herself when she does...I'm trying to continue teaching them to her. Of course, I'm not forcing anything or making it a big deal, but I'm just trying to think of simple fun games we can play that incorporate letters of the alphabet. For now she is learning to recognize them with her bathtub letters and alphabet blocks (I'll just ask her to find me the letter "S" or whatever). Are there any other fun activities I can do with her that will help her recognize letters?

Advertisement

CutiePatootiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Simple activities for teaching alphabet?

If she likes to read, I suggest getting a copy of Dr. Seuss's ABC. My DS is about the same age your DD, and after several weeks of reading it with him and having him repeat the letters after us, he started identifying all the letters out of the blue! We weren't even really trying to teach him the alphabet; we just like to be really interactive in our reading, and evidently DS was paying attention! It's pretty incredible what little minds pick up.

So now I'm on the hunt for good number learning books, too.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
mamaspice
Registered Users

I like making letters out of playdough or writing them in fingerpaint (or pudding).

Think about big movements when forming letters bc fine motor skills are not developed yet.

Playing with alphabet magnets can be fun too. Fridge or cookie sheet and big enough not to be a choking hazard (or with supervision).
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is 24 mos. She doesn't know her whole alphabet yet, but she does know a good portion of it. We read w/ her a lot, she has a baby laptop that does alphanumeric stuff, a wooden block abacus for letters & numbers, the Leapfrog Fridge Phonics (friends had it & DD LOVED it), & we sing the alphabet pretty frequently (she sings all.the.time. frequently just the "Q, R, S, T, U, V....Q, R, S, T, U, V..." loop over.and over.and over.). She'll go for days, or even a couple of weeks w/o being interested, but then that's all she'll want for 3 days.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

Reader Rabbit and Leap Frog Letter Factory

Leap Frog Letter Factory is a great movie and super common lots of people use it to help learn letters.

Reader Rabbit is AMAZING - they have computer games from preschool on up. The games are easy to play and FUN!

ETA- I totally just noticed you are looking for more NON-media related things. I think I should mention that we use these programs hand in hand with reading books, having foam letters, singing the alphabet, colouring letter pictures etc. BUT if you are ok with using media and/or are pushed for time the two programs I suggested really are GREAT.

Last edited by mg5g; 03-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Zoethink
Registered Users
seller

My mom taught my brother the alphabet by writing the letters on paper plates and then throwing them like frisbies all over the yard. Then she would tell him, "go find 'P'", and he would run off and bring her "P". He was a bit older than your Dd but it doesn't use any fine motor skills. Hth!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

get a big bottle of colored gel from the dollar store and put it in a big baggy and you can draw letters on the bag with you finger (does that make sense we love it here)

print off the letters and laminate them.. then you can use all kinds of things to make the letters- playdough, string, line cars up in the letter shape, etc on the letter card mat. they can also trace on them with a draw earse markers etc...

print or cut out letters and glue things from magazines or other things on each letter and hang them up (we glued acorn tops on a letter A, feathers on the letter 5, car stickers on the letter C, etc)

you can make a letter book and add to it of things that each letter starts with...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Check out a variety of alphabet books from the library

Find letters on road signs

use icing in a baggie with the tip cut to pipe letters on cookies or graham crackers for a special dessert
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a poster of the alphabet, very kid friendly and ds1 likes to sing the song while pointing to each letter. I also made ABC flashcards (super simple letters, no pictures) and I will put 4 in a row (not in order) and give ds1 a fly swatter and have him swat the correct letter that I say. Reading and just going over the alphabet all the time works too.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We point out the letters wherever we go.

I started with

A for Abby (or child's name)
M for Mommy
D for Daddy

Then we added
E for Emily (her best friend)
G for Grandma
P for Papa
B for Baby
L for (DFS's name)

and then branched from there so each one added was significant for something.

To teach writing them, we practiced lots of ways...drawing in the sand, with sidewalk chalk, with water and a paint brush on construction paper (dries so you can reuse it lots of times) or the chalk board, and lots of workbooks.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 03-20-2012 at 10:14 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote