Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
Mama-of-Three
Registered Users
seller

Alphabet chart on the wall, even if you don't do anything with it they like to look at it; as you read to your child, ask to find a particular letter on this page , or ask what ls that letter; alphabet tiles in tub; as you draw with your child, write some words (or 1 word) to label the drawing; show your child how to spell her name - she will probably master those letters first; get dr Seuss abc.

This is basically the list of what I did with my ds1; he is now 4.5 and reading, with no formal lessons other than pointing out letters and sounds in what we were doing anyway, and taking his interest cues. I am hoping to be able to pay attention to ds2's cues! Oh - I honestly think sesame street helped too. We didn't have a tv at the time but we did watch the "letter of the day" podcast that sesame street puts out.

Fun!!

Advertisement

Mama-of-Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Simple activities for teaching alphabet?

My DD is 17 months and knows her alphabet and numbers - she picked it up from natural teaching moments of pointing at letters on store signs and in ABC books and other activities like that. She loves to read! She has a foam floor puzzle with letters and numbers that she loves. She also loves to play with the LeapFrog Fridge Phonics set! She will watch educational videos on YouTube (like the Alphabet Train).
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
CutiePatootiesMama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all of the great ideas! Looks like she's getting an alphabet themed Easter basket
CutiePatootiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DS has the leap frog alphabet fridge letters and loves them. He gets to put them into the big magnet and hear the sounds that letter make or push the button and hear the whole alphabet. He is 25 months and knows all his letters by sight and has for quite awhile now. He did it in a fun way in his own and loves pointing out letters.

He also loves Super Why on sprout. He gets really excited when they find letters and sing the alphabet.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Tweedledum
Registered Users

A simple, cheap way that DD liked learning her letters as a toddler was yarn letters. I took 4x6 index cards and wrote the capital and lower case letters in glue then went over them with yarn. We would look at the letters and talk about them periodically. She liked the tactile input. To organize them, I just hole-punched on the side and put them on binder rings.

We also did an alphabet chant: a as in apple /a/ /a/ /a/ (short a sound) b as in ball /b/ /b/ /b/... you get the picture.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
bobbyjk
Registered Users

My Mood:

also wanted to add that DD loves to chalk outside so sometimes we'll sing and write the alphabet (well she makes lines LOL) but then she'll pick out the letters for me like with the blocks...throw some chalk in the Easter basket
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Alphabet hopscotch
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote