Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why isn't she sleeping??? Fussy and restless all night long.

My DD is nearly 10 months old. She was a decent sleeper when she was little, but now she is waking constantly. She is restless and fussing a lot. She doesn't really seem like she just wants to nurse, she will latch on then pull off soon after. She will nurse like a full meal a couple of times in the night, but she wakes up way more than that. It's so weird, it's like she doesn't want to be asleep or something, I don't know how to explain it. We co-sleep usually, but lately I have been trying to put her in the PnP (where she naps) to see if maybe she will sleep better in there. But no. It's the same. Last night she went to sleep at 7, and woke up at 8:30, 10, then we spent what felt like a very long time with a bunch of restlessness, me switching her back and forth, moving her to the other breast (though she wasn't nursing really). At 1:15 we were actually awake for a while (or at least I was, she was fussing) and I had to walk around with her to get her to stay asleep. Finally at 2am she was out, and in the PnP. She actually slept maybe till 5, then we were back to my bed with restlessness and nursing. I feel like a zombie.

She takes great naps in the PnP. The morning nap is about 2 hours and afternoon about 1.5 hours. She is very very tired when she goes to bed at 7pm. She is generally a very happy baby all the time (except at night). She rarely fusses or anything and is super easy. She has a huge appetite and eats 3 full meals a day. She has been really cutting back on nursing during the day, yesterday she nursed when she woke up in the morning, before each nap, and before bed. I was thinking she was waking a lot at night to make up for not nursing in the day, but she doesn't really seem like she wants to nurse in the night. She is very healthy and 25lbs 4oz. She did just get another tooth but it's out now and this is still going on. With her other teeth we didn't really have a lot of trouble anyway, so I tend to think that the night waking is something else. I don't have a lick of caffeine ever, not even chocolate. I just can't figure out if I am doing something wrong, or what is going on. This lack of sleep is seriously affecting me, I am so tired and I have zero energy to do anything. Today DS is sitting in front of youtube watching tractor videos because I can barely peel myself off the couch. Help! What should I do? I would generally say she is too young for night weaning but what do you think? DS woke up a lot too but he would just nurse back to sleep (he just wanted the boob all night, lol) DD is different in that I can't seem to get her to stay asleep!

Advertisement

Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why isn't she sleeping??? Fussy and restless all night long.

Probably just a developmental thing. . .my babes often get fussy and have restless sleep right around a dev milestone--learning to crawl etc.

any possibility she is sensitive to something else in your diet? dairy perhaps? but if she slept okay before I'd think it's just developmental. Or could she be teething?

I cosleep and it can be challenging to get enough rest!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Alikhlas
Registered Users
seller

My dd is same age and just went thru the same thing. Waking every 30 min sometimes....I thoughtbit was getting better when she started sleeping 2 hours at a time, but last night she was up again crying till dh walked with her then she latched on and slept for a while. I'm sick so I'm not getting any sleep and it's not helping :/

She was also nursing less and eating something every hour in the day so I'm thinking maybe a growth spurt? Also she's starting to take a few steps so the developmental aspect is there too.

All I can say is I hope it gets better soon bc I feel your exhaustion. And I found keeping a consistent routine helps....it'll take 4-5 days for it to kick in for hee but eventually some good will come.
Alikhlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Going through the same thing with my almost 11 month old...when talking to other friends I've found that its common around this age. DD is really trying to stand and walk, and it seems like she just wants to practice all the time and not sleep. You're not alone!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes! The developmental thing totally makes sense. She started crawling less than 3 weeks ago, and is standing and cruising around all over! It all makes sense now! That's what it feels like in the night, like she just wants to be moving around somewhere. Hopefully it will pass soon. I'm totally useless on so little sleep, lol.

You would think I would remember this stuff after 3 kids. I guess ODD and DS did the same thing.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
cdwelton
Registered Users
seller

My DD has been doing this for 4 months now
Old 03-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Did someone already mention the 9month sleep regression, which typically coincides with new and exciting developments?
Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This may seem far out there; but ds2 was waking like CRAZY sometimes twice an hour, and I had to actually get up and walk/bounce him around the room... Talk about zombie! Then I happened to try a new baby food for him...that had whey. Suffice to say he had a nasty reaction! I'm or sure if it's possible for you, but I realized during those fussy months I had been eating more dairy than previously, and it must have Ben hurting him
Now he's sleeping better-- or was! Lol he's teething now and has no pain tolerance. He woke up yesterday morning screaming at me when his Advil wore off. He'd l do that even before I was fully sure it was from a tooth, so you never know, maybe there's another one following the last? Just throwing ideas! sent from iphone
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
This may seem far out there; but ds2 was waking like CRAZY sometimes twice an hour, and I had to actually get up and walk/bounce him around the room... Talk about zombie! Then I happened to try a new baby food for him...that had whey. Suffice to say he had a nasty reaction! I'm or sure if it's possible for you, but I realized during those fussy months I had been eating more dairy than previously, and it must have Ben hurting him
Now he's sleeping better-- or was! Lol he's teething now and has no pain tolerance. He woke up yesterday morning screaming at me when his Advil wore off. He'd l do that even before I was fully sure it was from a tooth, so you never know, maybe there's another one following the last? Just throwing ideas! sent from iphone
I'm already off dairy completely and DD hasn't ever had any. She is super kicky at night whenever I eat even butter. Darn kid! I miss cheese! I've been super careful but I didn't consider that it may be something else that I've added to HER diet. Corn? Or wheat? I better investigate.