Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

BIG babies

Anyone have one?

This probably seems petty, especially because there are mamas who are worrying about slow weight gain, but my child is growing out of control and my back KILLS. She has been way off the charts since her 2 month appointment and hasn't slowed down a bit. I was first told she'd slow down the weight gain around 6 months, when that didn't happen they said 9 months, at my 9 month appointment I was told she probably would crawl soon (nope, still not crawling) and wouldn't gain much more weight for awhile, but she has hit yet another growth spurt and I am soooo sore!!! She is a week away from being 11 months old and 35 lbs as of last week. No idea how long she is now, but she is super tall, too.

Finding diapers that fit is a nightmare. Finding clothes that fit properly (chunky butt combined with cloth dipes, budda belly) is even harder. Wearing her is next to impossible, but she loves to be held all the time.

I have no idea where she gets it. DH and I are both slender and are both a little taller than average, but not super tall. Both of us were average sized babies and there are no big babies on either side of our family...in fact, she outweighs her younger cousins (3 years old) and is catching up to the oldest (5 years old).

Okay, petty rant over. I'm very glad my baby is healthy and happy, just hoping someone else has been in my shoes and can assure me that my child will not outgrow me by 2 years of age

Advertisement

Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
jeanalamae
Registered Users
seller

Location: We are in the Navy but we are moving to Monterey CA in august!
Re: BIG babies

Not sure but my 9 month old is 27lbs and super tall and outgrowing the rise on everything! She was 8lbs 2 oz at birth and went up quickly from there!!!! My husband and I are both thin and tall too
jeanalamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
doodah
Registered Users
seller

oh wow....I thought I had big kids. 35 lbs at only 11 months? My four year old is very good sized and is about 40 lbs...

I am absolutely no expert but maybe you should schedule her yearly checkup a little early and discuss her eating habits and milestones with her ped?
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
seacat
Registered Users
seller

DS2 is three months old and 16 pounds and 27 inches. He's now wearing size 12 month??? None of DS1 clothes are the right season and they were born at the same time of the year. He also cut two teeth this week. He just wants to be bigger than DS1 who just turned two and is only 25 lbs.
seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
oh wow....I thought I had big kids. 35 lbs at only 11 months? My four year old is very good sized and is about 40 lbs...

I am absolutely no expert but maybe you should schedule her yearly checkup a little early and discuss her eating habits and milestones with her ped?
We were just in last week for a cold. Dr says everything is fine and isn't the least bit concerned. She doesn't even eat much and never really has... she was EBF until 6 months or so, and is still breast fed and eats like a bird when it comes to solids. It's craziness.

Also wanted to add that while she's a chunk, she's not disproportional... she is obviously chubby thighed and chubby cheeked (see avatar, although that was months ago!) but wears her 35 lbs rather well That is another thing her ped pointed out.

Last edited by Teexie; 03-20-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanalamae View Post
Not sure but my 9 month old is 27lbs and super tall and outgrowing the rise on everything! She was 8lbs 2 oz at birth and went up quickly from there!!!! My husband and I are both thin and tall too
We are friends with another tall, thin couple and they also had a pretty big kiddo

Outgrowing the rise was a big issue for us! I just discovered happy heiny's (sized, not OS) and they fit great Still haven't discovered a good brand of pants, so please share with me if you do!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Oh wow.. that is big! I feel bad for your back too.

I had a daycare baby who was close to 30lbs at about nine months. But, it was all fattness...so, once she was very mobile, she thinned out to a beautiful 30 lbs at 4 yrs. She's been 30lbs for three years. LOL

And, when all that fatness burned away, she had big round beautiful blue eyes... we just couldn't see then under her puffiness... she wore 2-T clothes, and we'd get her capris for pants for her, and then just tank tops for dresses in the summer.

My own daughter was pretty big, but not actually heavy... just sturdy. She started out being one of the tallest kids in her pre-K class, and by 2nd grade was one of the smallest kids. So, that whole "Take their height at age 2 and divide, then multiply, then add, then subtract and that's how tall they will be" doesn't work. Otherwise she'd be 6ft tall by now.

It does feel like you've been robbed though, doesn't it? She's so perfect and wonderful, but you are missing out on all those tiny baby clothes... it's sort of unfair. I remember feeling really sad when my daughter outgrew her newborn clothes within a week. I felt like something had been taken from me.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I thought my kiddo was huge! She hit 28ish lbs under 12months and is always over 100% for height and weight. But yours is even bigger!!

Like yours, mine didn't really eat a lot. I would go to ask the ped about it, they'd interrupt and be like 'eating you out of house and home?' and I'd be like 'um, no... She hasn't increased her eating since she was 3months old'. Her growth was magical.

Anyways... I feel ya. For us, though, it did slow down a lot after a year old. She's walking, running, eating tons more, but weighs exactly the same. Has grown a couple inches.

She was in 18 month clothes at 9months and today was wearing a combo of 3t/4t and will be 18months next week.

So, for pants, I go up a size to fit over the diapers or do babylegs under dresses. Dresses are really the way to go. As long as they aren't too small, they work. Some of her shirts are dresses she wore last year. They are cute and cover the waistline which keeps from the weird shirt/pants bulge I don't like.

No advice on diapers. But just to say - it does slow down after that 12month growth spurt.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
DS2 is three months old and 16 pounds and 27 inches. He's now wearing size 12 month??? None of DS1 clothes are the right season and they were born at the same time of the year. He also cut two teeth this week. He just wants to be bigger than DS1 who just turned two and is only 25 lbs.
DD was around that size at that age, too. Relieved to hear that one big baby does not necessarily equal a big sibling. DD is our first and we are planning on having more, but honestly I'm so exhausted I don't think I want to do it again.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I do feel robbed though in the ability to shop sales. You can't predict these kids. I bought 2t dresses last summer for this summer and she wears atleast one of them as a shirt now

And I was going through all her old clothes the other day and remembering the 1, 2 or 3 times she actually got to wear a lot of it. Made me sad and made me hope for another girl so we'd get some more wear in them