Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BIG babies

Oh wow! She's so cute.

My 13 month old weighs 28 pounds and is in 24 month size clothing. She's huge. I feel for you, mama! Your poor back... I know mine aches after a day of holding my super clingy chub chub.

Hey... at least it's good exercise, though!

I'm going to share a secret with you all... I use my fat baby when I want to "lift weights". I also lay on my back and place her so she's straddling my legs, so I can do leg lifts with the extra weight to help tone up faster. She giggles and screams that ear piercing happy baby squeal the entire time because she thinks I'm just playing with her lol.

Advertisement

Last edited by Almacham; 03-20-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Almacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dd2 was a big baby(10.6lbs at birth) and has stayed a big girl. Although she finally made it on to the charts in the 95% on her 4th bday lol. I ditched the baby bucket at 4mos b/c her 20lb self plus the bucket was way to heavy lol And no, one monster baby doesnt mean they will all be monster babies or minis will lead to more minis Dd1 was the complete opposite. While she was 8.6lbs at birth she had fallen off the charts by 6mos and didnt hit 3% again until her 3rd(or was it 4th?) bday. She's now 7 and just hit 40lbs a couple months ago lol As long as the ped isnt worried then I say just enjoy the chub!

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas, I'm feeling a bit better. I sometimes go into panic mode, especially when I see her with other babies around her age who are so much smaller than her and get to worrying that something is wrong. Then again, I look at those big chubby cheeks, which become 10 times cuter when she flashes a big 5-tooth smile, and know that I'll really miss the chunk someday!

I also think my worry could be a cultural thing... we live in a pretty diverse area and she has often drawn a crowd of people wanting to hold her and exclaiming over what a "healthy" baby she is lol. Then when we go home to visit family, I mostly get "is her doctor concerned about her size?! Is it because she's still breast feeding?!?!" Sigh.

And yes, I also feel robbed when it comes to clothes. She seems to skip several sizes overnight. So much money wasted on the in-between sizes...I learned in the first 3 months that it's pointless to buy ahead!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Hey... at least it's good exercise, though!

I'm going to share a secret with you all... I use my fat baby when I want to "lift weights". I also lay on my back and place her so she's straddling my legs, so I can do leg lifts with the extra weight to help tone up faster. She giggles and screams that ear piercing happy baby squeal the entire time because she thinks I'm just playing with her lol.
Me too! DH and I pass her back and forth and use her for various weight bearing exercises lol. This always causes extreme giggling and is usually the only cure for when she is teething and inconsolable...I sleep very well on those nights!

I've always been skinny-fat and before DD had pretty much never been able to do a real pushup. I can knock them out like crazy now
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #15
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tharen was big but not quite that big. It was a shock after Kearnan who was the other extreme (like falling off the edge of the chart barely 18lbs at 1year). Tharen was probably 28lbs at 8months and then he started walking. That slowed him way down pretty fast and while he is still getting taller quickly he isn't putting on the weight like he used to. I used to get the nastiest comments from people when I was out with him. They would ask me how old he was and when I told them they would take on this rude tone and say "He's big isn't he?" As if I was doing something horrid to him. Yes he is big thanks, he is also exclusively breastfed. He was 8lbs 9ozs, 22inches long with a giant head at birth thanks very much. He crossed over the 30lb line before he hit 1yr but he had slowed down so much that it wasn't as remarkable. I didn't have a hard time wearing him, I had been doing italmost constantly since he was born so I just built up the stamina I guess. I did have to use a Mei Tai though, couldn't get by with one shouldered carriers. I kept carrying him until he was 3 and almost 40lbs. To tell you just how much he slowed down he is only 47lbs now at 6 but he is well over 3ft tall. He is just really slim and muscle packed now. I can still wear him and do from time to time but not every day like I used to.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #16
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids gain weight super fast in the beginning, but slow down at 6 months. BUT, they started crawling at 6 months and so slowed down on the weight gain. I'm sure the fact that your LO is not moving yet has a big part to do with why she is still gaining. Once she gets mobile and starts moving around, I'm pretty sure her weight gain will slow down or even stop for a while and she will just grow "up" instead of "out" LOL!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #17
ericsmom99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 2nd child was a huge baby. He weighed 36 pounds at a year and was still 36 pounds at 15 months. I was so excited that he had finally slowed down only to take him to the doctor at 18 months and find out he had gained 5 more pounds!! He remained a "thick" child till he was about 11. Now this kid is 14 and skinny as a rail!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have had some pretty big babes.

My second was 40+ pounds at a year. She remained chubby until last year when she turned 13. Now she looks like a darn supermodel.

My son was 38 pounds at a year. Then 45 by two years. He is now 8 and skinny skinny.

My newest is 16 pounds now at not even 4 months old. So I assume she will follow the same curve.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #19
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for the responses! I'm feeling much better
Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Jessi621
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's how my first and 2nd were, well, kinda. They were always super chunky, but not necessarily tall. With my oldest the ped sent us to a nutruitionest and checked her thyroid and all, but everything was fine. By 2 I'd say she was no longer fat, just chubby. She stayed chubby til about 3. Now at 7 she's pretty slim. When my son chunked up the same way we didn't worry at all. He thinned out a little faster, but I think it's more just cause he was taller. Now at 3 he's a little taller than average, but not at all chubby.

Funny thing is, my 2 chunkers were born at 6.1 and 7.6 (ds was 19lbs by 6wks) but my now 19month old peanut was an 8 pounder. You just never know how they're going to grow.
Proud Army wife and sahm to The Chickie 2/26/05, The Monkey 6/13/08 and The Little Miss 8/15/10 Due in Aug with #4
Jessi621 is offline   Reply With Quote