Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Micah's not surprisingly quick entrance

My EDD was March 12th, based on ovulation, so I was confident in my dates. Also, my daughter was born at 40 weeks almost exactly (a few hours after), so I didn't count on being a week overdue! My mother came to stay with me 3 days before my due date, and wasn't leaving until he was born, so we all started to get a little stir crazy. We tried to distract ourselves with shopping and meals and playing outside with my two-year old, and I was happy that I felt fine and not super pregnant, but we all just wanted to meet him!

5 days after my due date my midwife offered to let my husband and I use the birth tub at the birth center to get aways from everything and relax with the awesome tub and essential oils. I did start having some mild contractions 10 minutes apart that night...but they fizzled out, much to my dismay. I woke up just as pregnant as I was the night before.
The next night I started having mild contractions again 10 minutes apart. Both my midwife and I were pretty confident that when labor actually kicked in, that it was going to go really fast. My first birth was about 5 hours from first contraction to birth. This baby seemed to be in a good position (other than a fist that he kept next to his head constantly), and he was at 0 station, so he didn't have too far to go. Despite that, my cervix was still posterior on the night of March 18th, and only about 60% effaced. I knew that those measurements didn't mean a lot, but I was starting to understand why women would say they felt like they were going to be pregnant forever! It makes no sense...but that's just the way it feels.

The contractions fizzled out again that night, and I cried myself to sleep at 2:30 am. My husband was super nice and tried really hard to remind me that he was definitely going to be born soon, so I appreciate that so much.

I woke up about 10 minutes before 6 am with a much stronger contraction than I had been experiencing. I looked at the clock for the next one- 6 minutes apart. Went to the bathroom- 5 minutes. Sent the midwife a message- 4 minutes. Yikes. Lit the candles around the tub, ran the water, and woke up my mom. My labor with my daughter was pretty easy. This one...not as much. The contractions were much stronger and I had to really focus to make it through them. Within 30 minutes the contractions were 3 minutes apart and getting more intense.

The midwife's assistant and fellow midwife arrived around 6:45 and started setting everything up. They listened to the baby's heartrate while I laid in the tub and took my vitals, but otherwise left me alone, which is exactly what I wanted. My mom and husband sometimes came to check on me, but mostly I just laid on my side in the tub and listened to Coldplay on my phone. No position was comfortable, so I chose the path of least resistance! As the contractions became more intense, I started to sing along with the songs to distract myself; breathing just wasn't helping enough. I started to feel a bit sick and figured I was getting close to transition. My midwife arrived around 7:30 am and I could hear her telling her assistant to get some things ready and I knew she felt he would be born really soon. Even though she wasn't talking to me, it was really encouraging to hear that.

My midwife asked me if I was feeling pushy and I didn't really think so, but I decided to check. I pushed a little with the next contraction, and then again with the next one. I started to feel like I couldn't make it through the contraction; coping was getting REALLY difficult, even though singing was still helping. Then I felt a pop- my water broke! I never felt that with my first! Immediately after my water broke, I was pushing. The midwife heard immediately what was happening and reassured me that everything was fine and great. She never told me what to do, just that I was doing great. I told her I didn't know what position to be in; she said “nothing is going to be comfortable, just pick one!”. Yeah, that was probably true. So I laid back down in the tub and just kept pushing.

I totally forgot how crazy weird it feels to have a human being come out of your body. The rational part of my brain was thinking “OMG how can that happen there is no way a baby can fit through there I'm going to hurt myself.!!!”
The birthing part of my brain was saying “GET IT OUT GET IT OUT GET IT OUT!”.

I pushed for about 10 minutes (seemed like less!) and felt his head crowning. I attempted to breath through some of it out of fear that I was going to tear...but wasn't really successful. My midwife knew that I had caught my daughter in the hospital and that I wanted to do the same thing, so she tried to get me into a position that was better for that, but I was NOT about to move from where I was, so I just ended up helping to catch him. His head was born, then in the next push, the rest of him slid out. What a relief that was! It's insane that any of that happens! He was born at 8:21 am, about 2.5 hours after I woke up. 7 pounds, 2 ounces. Interestingly enough, his gestational age assessment was 38 weeks, even though he was 1 week overdue by my date of ovulation. I know that he wasn't actually a 38-weeker, because I already had a positive pregnancy test before then! More proof that moms grow babies at different rates, and that babies know when they should be born in a healthy pregnancy. My first was little also, so apparently I just grow them slowly

My midwife and I were both happy to find that I had no tearing whatsoever! I think she was as surprised as I was, considering how fast he came out, and since I was laboring the tub for 2 hours or so. I really don't have any perineal pain; it's crazy! Women's bodies are truly amazingly designed!

He had swallowed quite a bit of the mucous plug in his fast descent, so it took him a few minutes to pink up, but otherwise everything was perfect. We laid in the tub for a few minutes before moving to the bed, and the placenta birthed within 15 minutes, then my husband cut the cord. He looks a lot like my daughter, but less girly! He also has lighter hair and eyes, so maybe he will look more like me. They have pretty much the same nose. He was tongue-tied but that was quickly clipped and he's nursing like a champ in between his long naps.

Having the birth at home was so awesome. No worrying about when to leave, the birth team set everything up, left me alone when I needed it, then took care of us and cleaned up. My brother and his wife came over and made us dinner...it was just great.

My birth pretty much went just the way that I hoped and expected, even though it was more intense than I thought it would be. I think it's probably good for me as a doula to have experienced going overdue and a painful birth, because now I can have more empathy for other moms!

the night before he was born

Advertisement

Last edited by songbird516; 03-20-2012 at 02:07 PM.
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Micah's not surprisingly quick entrance

Congratulations! He is beautiful! Sounds like you had a wonderful birth experience!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow, wonderful birth story!! He is one handsome little guy!! So sweet
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he is so cute! I'm glad it went great for you!
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
CountryChicMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a wonderful birth experience! He is absolutely precious! Congrats!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Great story - thanks for sharing!

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
Almacham
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Congratulations!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

congrats and thanks sooo much for sharing your story!!!
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

:
Congrats, mama! Sounds like a wonderful birth. Beautiful baby!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! We are doing great. I'm still hoping that his tongue tie doesn't cause any breastfeeding issues, since it was deeper than the midwife could really snip. His latch is not as deep as I know it should be, and you can still see a slight tightness in the front of his tongue, but he seems to be getting plenty of milk based on his sucking and his elimination. So I'm really hoping that we won't have any supply issues because of that.