Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Typical 7 year old behavior? Arguing about EVERYTHING???

I'm seriously about to lose it with my 7 year old. He argues with me or contradicts me about EVERYTHING. It is driving me insane.

Just from today...

He wants to go outside, I say "Put your other shoes on it rained last night so the grass is wet." He looks outside and says "Well the sidewalk isn't wet, I don't think it rained." It freaking rained, the grass is wet, don't argue with me just DO IT.

We're at the junk store, I grabbed a cart with a stuck wheel. I push it a little, realize the wheel is stuck and I say "Just a sec, I need to switch carts, this one has a bum wheel." He looks down and says "No it doesn't they all look fine to me." Well one wasn't rolling so it may LOOK okay but it wasn't functioning.

Today I'm standing at the pantry door and say aloud "Hmmm...what is for supper." and he says "Spaghetti!" and I say "We don't have any pasta sauce." he says "Yes, we do! It's right there." No...that is Salsa. Considering I'm the one that buys all the groceries and puts away all the food I'm fairly sure I have a better grasp of what is in my pantry than you do!!

That's just from TODAY...

It is getting so old...

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Derby_Mama
Registered Users

Re: Typical 7 year old behavior? Arguing about EVERYTHING???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
I'm seriously about to lose it with my 7 year old. He argues with me or contradicts me about EVERYTHING. It is driving me insane.

Just from today...

He wants to go outside, I say "Put your other shoes on it rained last night so the grass is wet." He looks outside and says "Well the sidewalk isn't wet, I don't think it rained." It freaking rained, the grass is wet, don't argue with me just DO IT.

We're at the junk store, I grabbed a cart with a stuck wheel. I push it a little, realize the wheel is stuck and I say "Just a sec, I need to switch carts, this one has a bum wheel." He looks down and says "No it doesn't they all look fine to me." Well one wasn't rolling so it may LOOK okay but it wasn't functioning.

Today I'm standing at the pantry door and say aloud "Hmmm...what is for supper." and he says "Spaghetti!" and I say "We don't have any pasta sauce." he says "Yes, we do! It's right there." No...that is Salsa. Considering I'm the one that buys all the groceries and puts away all the food I'm fairly sure I have a better grasp of what is in my pantry than you do!!

That's just from TODAY...

It is getting so old...
I have one of those at home too! I am happy to hear I am not alone..however it sucks that you are dealing with the same thing! Mine is a smartypants and always has something to say about EVERYTHING!!!

I am interested to hear if we are alone in this or not
Derby_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like my 13 year old. I'm sorry to say it's probably more personality than age.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
The last one he could have thought it was pasta sauce since it is a jar of red stuff.

The rest of it - pick your battles. Learn to ignore some stuff and not get into a "i'm right battle" with him. It isn't worth the energy.

If he thinks it hasn't rained let him out in his other shoes. The worst that will happen is his feet get wet.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
Derby_Mama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
The last one he could have thought it was pasta sauce since it is a jar of red stuff.

The rest of it - pick your battles. Learn to ignore some stuff and not get into a "i'm right battle" with him. It isn't worth the energy.

If he thinks it hasn't rained let him out in his other shoes. The worst that will happen is his feet get wet.
Yes..I agree with this. Most of the time we ignore and let it slide, even though it's hard sometimes it is just not worth it. I am a control freak and that is the hardest part of being a parent, letting the small stuff go. I honestly think half of it happens to see what kind of response/attention he can get.

I learn something EVERY DAY from these kids
Derby_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post

Yeah, the last one is a mistake, it's just the arguing with me...I said we don't have ragu...that means we don't have any ragu.

The shoes...he has shoes that I don't mind getting soaked and caked with mud...and then he has other shoes. He was wearing the shoes I'd prefer not end up soaked and caked with mud...because then I'm stuck washing shoes.

I try not to battle with him, I usually just repeat what I said and ignore him arguing with me...it's just annoying as all get out to have him argue with every word out of my mouth
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD tries to do the same thing. There is a line between learning/maturing and talking back. I don't allow talking back. Sometimes I'll say to her how that was sassing, other times I'll let her learn the hard way (she insisted it would be fine to wear a pair of shoes outside, they got dirty like I said they would, she couldn't wear them to a party the next day b/c they were drying from being washed).

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

no... but I'd say "find the sauce" or "fine, you push the cart" or "if you come in with muddy shoes that are ruined you will be doing X amount of extra chores to buy new ones".

I have a low tolerance for that kind of attitude. If they think they're right, then prove it and have fun with that.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #9
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine is 6 and WHINES! She's not allowed to have any friends over for awhile now because I'm tired of her fighting with her friend every single time she's over here. This friend lives right next door so they'll still see each other but just not over here!

And the toddler is getting into more stuff too! I SO need to find a job!!!
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #10
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Dealing with the 'I know everything's here too.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote