Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tell me about prefolds, so I can order some.

Ok I want to try pf's. My dd is about 20lbs I'm guessing. She wheres a size 3 in a sposie. She is where Flip covers unbutton all the way to the largest size and the Flip inserts layed all the way out flat. So what size do I need?

Also I need to know if you order the organic or indian pf's that are unbleached you can't bleach them right? I use bleach but I'm guessing its because of the microfiber being harder to get clean right?

Advertisement

misty316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
OHIOFIFI
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Tell me about prefolds, so I can order some.

I use Imagine Smart Fit as DS is a chunker, and your DD is about the same weight as my DS -- we use mediums. We mainly do trifolding but I do occasionally like to snappi -- the Smart Fit are cut to fit better in the cover trifolded and are a bit wider to accomodate pinning or snappi. I know a lot of mamas swear by GMD and I know they have a wide baby size as well if your DD is a chunky 20lber like my DS -- I just have never used GMD so I can't comment on the fit, etc.
I have bleached my unbleached Cottonbabies and had no real issues but I only bleach every once in a while. You generally don't use enough bleach to cause bleach marks or anything (I use 1/4 c ). The only concern I would have would be if you use bleach every wash or very frequently, it might weaker the material.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Workinmmama
Registered Users
seller

For my 19 pound 6 month old I use GMD browns and they fit great!
Workinmmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

That is about the size of my son and he is between sizes. You could go with the diaper rite prefolds green edge for a nice trim fit, and they work well in medium covers and flips. Or you could go with the orange edge or imagine larges for fastening. They may seem a bit big at first. I know I have posted lots of pics of my baby lately in some of each of these.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My daughter is 19 pounds and I use the small imagines trifolded in a flip - They are SUPER trim and I have never had an issue with her out wetting the smaller size
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

I would go with medium Imagine Smart fits (yellow edge) or GMD red edge (GMD's medium size).
Old 03-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

I love the Bummis Organics. These are the "old school" sizing that I started with. That sizing is hard to find anymore since most places have gone to the new wider/shorter sizing. I destashed all of my brand new Indian PFs last year so that I could get a whole stash of these - 24 in each size.

I also have Green Mountain Diapers prefolds - they are made with the newer amended sizing. But my favorite - very, very favorite is Zabi Baby. They are butter soft and pin like a dream. And she is a DS mama. Here is the link...
http://zabibaby.com/zabi-baby-indian-prefolds/

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:

A wise mama (actually, two wise mamas) advised me to keep my son in infant size pfs as long as possible, because it is more trim. So that is what we do, with or without a suedecloth sleeve, in a size 2 Thirsties duo snap wrap. I love it and it works for us. My son is over 23 lbs (he was 23 at his checkup in January and hasn't been weighed since then) and 17 months old.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
misty316
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfarm3 View Post
A wise mama (actually, two wise mamas) advised me to keep my son in infant size pfs as long as possible, because it is more trim. So that is what we do, with or without a suedecloth sleeve, in a size 2 Thirsties duo snap wrap. I love it and it works for us. My son is over 23 lbs (he was 23 at his checkup in January and hasn't been weighed since then) and 17 months old.
I like the idea of trim but I would be afraid of leaks. Any certain brand??
misty316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Servant4Christ
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have my 1st pf's on the way to me.... thirsties duo hemp pf's and I can't wait to try them with my new capri covers (also otw!)
Servant4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote