Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Punkin Handmade Diaper Share Thread

Yep, for the orange pattern it should be 7.5in stretched for the back and 8.75in stretched for the legs. What that is relaxed will depend on what type of elastic you are using.

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much Amanda! That helps a ton. Did you feel like buying the pattern was worth it? I'm only using flannel, terry (old towels) and some fleece if I can figure out if what I have is micro fleece or not.....I hear that matters. Anyways, making them for free with materials I've been given or upcycled. Using velcro b/c I don't have a snap system and don't want to get one. So anyways, the dipes will be pretty simple, which is why I went with the free pattern and am afraid that what I'm doing is too simple for needing to buy the full pattern. What do you think?
zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Sweetbabybows
Registered Users
seller
seller

It does have alot of information and different ways of doing things. You probably could find the info online but I like that it's all there and organized and I didn't have to go searching. I don't think it really was that much maybe $10 or $12. I'd say if you plan on making bigger sizes It would be worth it.

I was nervous that I would make a ton of diapers and end up not liking them so I only made dd2's newborn diapers and I still haven't found the time to make the bigger sizes but she's only 9m old so I still plan to make her some more. Especially since the pockets she is using now are getting pretty worn out since they were from dd1. Any way I loved them and as soon as I find out if this bean is a boy or girl I'm starting on a stash.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Amanda, I'll be excited to see your stash. I think I won't buy the pattern. Not to be cheap or anything, but I only plan to make a NB stash for this one b/c we have a FULL OS pocket stash left over from when I was diapering two at once (NB Kian and 2 year old Lissy). Some of those pockets may need to go, but I doubt I'll notice that since we have enough to diaper two. Maybe if I like the NB stash, I'll make more later. I'm like you.....so afraid I'll hate my handsewn diapers.....or they won't work!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
photocowgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacifer View Post

This is my first ever handmade diaper. It needs some work, but its ok for a first attempt. It has an inner and outer layer of flannel, a hidden inner layer of fleece, and a sewn in soaker of two layers upcycled terry towel, and two layers flannel. Its the DD orange pattern and I plan to add velcro later. I did the hidden inner layer of fleece hoping it would add a waterproof - ish barrier so babe could go coverless some to show off the cute flannel prints, but it didn't really work. It held a lot of water when I tested it, but when I applied pressure to the outside of the dipe, it soaked through the fleece. So, I won't be doing that again, especially since I think it made my full body layering too thick and the elastic didn't stretch as well. I'm off now to try diaper #2!
Very cute momma! Looks great for your first attempt and I love the print!
photocowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #16
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here's diaper 2 and 3.

The red one is flannel inner and outer with 3 layers of terry as a sewn in soaker. The cloud one is flannel inner and outer and has a sewn in soaker of one layer of terry and a tacked in soaker that folds in half so it ends up being two layers of terry and two layers of flannel. I don't think I'll do that again though.
I was hoping to make these closureless, though some mamas say you can't use a snappi with flannel. I'm glad I saw another mama doing it so I got a snappi and tried it.

Here's poor Mr. Buns sporting an all flannel dipe easily and firmly held on with a snappi. YAY! That means one less cost with not having to buy velcro. Which leaves me with the only cost of these dipes so far being thread and elastic. !!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here's diaper # 4.

Its flannel inner and outer with a sewn in soaker of 3 layers terry. It was almost perfect BUT....

here's diaper #5

and its perfect!!!!! YAY!!!!!
I've tried a few different techniques and tweaked things a bit, so it took me a few tries but this jungle print is exactly what I was going for. I'm excited to now just sew up the rest of them like this and get a good little stash going.

Anyone else sewing up dipes????
I need some Oct DD sewing companions.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

We will be hopefully, although it might just be covers to go over the prefolds we already have. Although we just learned that we can do a newborn rental system for only $50, so that has slightly lessened my desire for sewing. I am not very talented, but i can usually follow directions. We bought some PUL to try and make covers, so we'll see. Once we get around to that we'll let you know and share pictures, but we do still have like 6 months to work on it!
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Jenny - SO CUTE. I LOVE the red flannel one and the jungle print. And I have snappied flannel before and it can totally be done. You just have to kind of shove them in a little when you're putting them on because they don't hook quite as easily as on other materials. But they hold just fine once they're on, and with newbies you don't have to worry about them getting away while you're doing it

Where did you get the pattern again? Did you have to pay for it? I have never sewed a diaper in my life, but those little things are just so cute I can't stand it. And I could get a ton of flannel blankets at Goodwill for super cheap, so I am a little tempted to try...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
GracieMak'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to, and heaven knows i have enough flannel. but who knows if i actually will. I might be lazy and just whip up some wipes and squares to be used as flats.