Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Punkin Handmade Diaper Share Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Jenny - SO CUTE. I LOVE the red flannel one and the jungle print. And I have snappied flannel before and it can totally be done. You just have to kind of shove them in a little when you're putting them on because they don't hook quite as easily as on other materials. But they hold just fine once they're on, and with newbies you don't have to worry about them getting away while you're doing it

Where did you get the pattern again? Did you have to pay for it? I have never sewed a diaper in my life, but those little things are just so cute I can't stand it. And I could get a ton of flannel blankets at Goodwill for super cheap, so I am a little tempted to try...
I'm using the free Darling Diaper pattern....the larger orange one. There's no directions that come with it, and seeing that I've never made a diaper before, I've done a bit of researching and reading tutorials of other mamas who do it. I tried a few different techniques until I found the way I like best, and now am continueing on with that route and hoping it works! I think I'll make some thin-ish lay in soakers b/c I just have no idea how absorbant they will be. I've heard of some mamas laying a few wipes in there for a few light layers for extra absorbancy. But I think I'll do something with at least one more layer of terry.

Advertisement

zacifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Two more done last night.
Flannel inner/outer. 3 layer sewn in terry soaker.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #23
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Jenny, those are so cute....I need to get started but I'm sewing non diaper stuff for myself and my older kids.mostly for Easter/ Spring, and DS needs play shorts. hoping my energy will reapear soon.

How did you figure out how long to make the leg elastic on the free DD pattern? I looked at it but didn't see in recs.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #24
MomdeIsla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

double post
Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #25
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Michelle, I just stretched the elastic as hard as I could from the marked starting point to the ending point. I didn't do that at first as I was sure they'd come out uneven, but when I went by other's measurements, it wasn't working out. So I resorted to the stretch version and it works fine every time.

Here's 3 more I made today. Felicity wanted to help me. The kids keep asking me who I'm making these for. I wasn't going to do gender specific fabric until I has used up all the gender neutral stuff (we're team green) but of course, she wanted to make two girly diapers. Neither girl prints are my fav AT ALL, but no complaints here. All this fabric was free!

The pink frog one has a full inner hidden layer of flannel, which I really liked so the rest will be made that way too. The other two are just flannel inner and outer with 3 layers terry soaker sewn in. Oh, the pink one has the same sewn in soaker too.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am absolutely amazed at how many diapers you are making while homeschooling your kids. Not to mention being pregnant! They look wonderful and I'm sure they are going to be great!
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
Keme
Registered Users

My Mood:

All of these are fabulous, I LOVE the fish and the monkies
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #28
zacifer
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIpiccolo44 View Post
I am absolutely amazed at how many diapers you are making while homeschooling your kids. Not to mention being pregnant! They look wonderful and I'm sure they are going to be great!
In all honestly, the kids have been sick so last week we didn't do too much in depth homeschool. And today I did 3 dipes b/c my mom decided to take Logan to the art gallery as a sort of date/field trip while Kian napped. And Lissy had been asking to help so I took advantage of that time with just her and I so we got 3 done. Plus, remember, my DH works out of town all week so that leaves me the evenings to sew or watch TV and I don't love TV.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
Cupcake213
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That is so awesome!! I wish I was as talented as you are!!!
Cupcake213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

SO CUTE Jenny! Funny story - I googled the darling diaper orange pattern, and one of the top links was your recent thread on DS in the craft section! I showed DH the cute pics of newbies from that thread, and he loved loved loved them. Normally neither of us is a huge fan of newbies in cloth because it always looks like they are being eaten by the diaper, but these ones looked like they fit great! If I can work up the motivation, I may make a few for this little one to wear until s/he fits into my infant prefolds...