Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Re: Dental work on my 3yo? Yes or no? WWYD?

I don't know what I would do. I had brown spots on my front baby teeth in kindergarten and first grade, and everybody asking me about them made me super self-conscious. A few other kids teased me about it, but most of them weren't even mean, just curious. The net result was that I was really shy until the teeth fell out and new ones grew in. I barely said a word to anyone or raised my hand to speak in class, and I think it made me have a hard time making friends early on. That being said, I also wasn't afraid of the dentist the way the OP's son is. So it's a tough call, and I guess it depends if the OP thinks her son would be more traumatized by getting peer attention for his brown spots or by having dental work done.

Advertisement

Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd leave it be for another 6 months and revisit if it upsets him that much. I'd only do it if my daughter was motivated to do it since it is unnecessary.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS went to the dentist to get a few fillings a few months back. He's 4. He was terrified. Extremely terrified. We tried to calm him down but he wouldn't calm down at all. We canceled all future appointments and left.

I'm not saying that no kids should be subjected to dental work. But find the right dentist who works well with kids. The one we had was a different dentist from the one who had told me what would be done. I was told that they would use gas. The dentist came at him with a needle. I was told they'd work on the teeth on the right. He told me he'd work on the left. When he pulled out the needle, I told him to stop and we left.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
DS went to the dentist to get a few fillings a few months back. He's 4. He was terrified. Extremely terrified. We tried to calm him down but he wouldn't calm down at all. We canceled all future appointments and left.
I hope that you didn't just put off the fillings indefinitely and are looking for another, child-friendlier dentist.

There's an interesting/scary article in the New York Times about the increase in use of general anaesthesia for preschoolers with multiple cavities, because parents are becoming less vigilant about their children's dental hygiene.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the help. I have decided to not get his teeth fixed. Because it's just cosmetic, I can't imagine putting him through all of that. It would be one thing if he was bothered by it, but he doesn't care or even notice. If he ever says anything about it we can totally revisit. I would be glad to have it done if he weren't so afraid. I asked a friend IRL today and she had to have him smile at her to see what I was talking about, she had never noticed it before. So maybe I notice it more than other do as well.
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote