Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #121
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Yeah, I don't get it either... even when we stripped with Dawn and tons of bleach and vinegar split into like 7-8 loads... it would be right back... we were stripping every other day for at least a month... DESTROYED my diapers... all my Pull is worthless, even my PFs are shredding from how much we stripped! But the ammonia remains! LOL

I don't think it was built up over time because we never had any issues at all and then when we started using the new Purex, it was overwhelming immediately...

We have a water softener, but apparently it's not softening as much as I thought it was... what softener additive would you suggest?

I swear between the animals needs, diaper needs, and family medical needs, I'm going to end up with a degree in chemistry, biology, and nursing! LOL

Advertisement

MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #122
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your welcome hun. Hey, I bet you hear all the time how much you look like Betty Paige (sp?) Love the pic!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #123
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel the same way about the degree, haha!

Well calgon is just perfect for lime hard water and does work great for all other hard waters. BUT, borax is all natural and simply way cheaper and works great! I adore the stuff! You can find a wealth of info on both of their webpages to see if you prefur one over the other.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #124
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Well I would prefer Borax and I already have it on hand, but I heard that it's bad for Hemp? Or something along those lines...
Old 04-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #125
branfam
Registered Users
seller

I have finally finished getting my diapers so square one. Hopefully! I had to bleach my MF and other inserts twice and do TONS of rinses. But they don't have any smell! I am going to put them in cloth tomorrow night and see how it goes. Hopefully no more ammonia!

But I am a little worried b/c I wont really be washing with that many diapers when its wash day?!?!? I'm not sure how much detergent I should use. I am thinking when its time to wash I will only need to do a small or the one between small and medium. So should I do half way between the 1 line of soap? Or less then that?
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #126
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whew, what a workout! I can't remember what kind of water you said you have. I would prob start close to line 1 and work from there. Make sure you are getting plenty of good sudsing going on, but not too much. Then you will be able to slowly tweak it after that. It's important to use enough. You also don't want to end up with darn detergent buildup though.

Can't wait to see how it goes!

Krystal:
I'm not sure about hemp. I hear so many rumors about poor ol borax and that's a new one for me. You could most deff just call or email them and tell them the situation, explaining you have hemp and don't want it damaged. It's worth the call. You would be amazed how much more info you will get out of calling a company!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #127
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

DS woke up this morning DRY and BARELY even smelling like pee!! We haven't been able to get sposies yet, so I put him in a pocket stuffed with a flat and a prefold style doubler, FINALLY a solution where he wasn't leaking at ALL... AND NO STINK!!! The diaper was HEAVYYY too, so not like he just barely peed, but I literally had to almost touch my nose to the diaper to even smell the pee smell! There was NO ammonia AT ALL!!! So nice to know that something got clean!

Unfortunately DD wasn't as lucky... she was in a pocket stuffed with just a flat and she had some ammonia smell, enough to twinge the nose for sure, but no burns (she was slightly pink, but not red) and she didn't seem sore. I think hers might be a little from concentrated pee though, she would NOT drink her water yesterday! She's so stubborn! LOL

ETA: I did a quick search for Borax/Hemp and from what I can tell, the issue is that Hemp absorbs a little TOO well and it can be really hard to rinse the Borax out of hemp, causing buildup and possibly irritation from borax residue against the skin.

Last edited by MamaCrunch; 04-02-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #128
aqua-bg
Registered Users
seller

I think I have read through first 16 pages of this thread. Very helpful. Thanks.

My concern: i have a top loader and I wash every other day. I have a combination of AIOs, prefolds, pockets and couple of fitters. My pockets and AIOs are leaking which is making me want to quit. so I want to try tide and see how that goes. I prewash cold, hot wash with detergent and rinse again. Just finished my 2nd bag of rockin green. Hard rock.

I was using RG so far (4 months of CD) and I am going in for tide today. I will also get some clorox bleach. So pls help me out. Which tide should I get? The Tide ultra original powder or liquid

Last edited by aqua-bg; 04-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
aqua-bg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #129
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
DS woke up this morning DRY and BARELY even smelling like pee!! We haven't been able to get sposies yet, so I put him in a pocket stuffed with a flat and a prefold style doubler, FINALLY a solution where he wasn't leaking at ALL... AND NO STINK!!! The diaper was HEAVYYY too, so not like he just barely peed, but I literally had to almost touch my nose to the diaper to even smell the pee smell! There was NO ammonia AT ALL!!! So nice to know that something got clean!

Unfortunately DD wasn't as lucky... she was in a pocket stuffed with just a flat and she had some ammonia smell, enough to twinge the nose for sure, but no burns (she was slightly pink, but not red) and she didn't seem sore. I think hers might be a little from concentrated pee though, she would NOT drink her water yesterday! She's so stubborn! LOL

ETA: I did a quick search for Borax/Hemp and from what I can tell, the issue is that Hemp absorbs a little TOO well and it can be really hard to rinse the Borax out of hemp, causing buildup and possibly irritation from borax residue against the skin.
Great info about the hemp!

I'm so excited you have some clean diapers! Yippeey!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua-bg View Post
I think I have read through first 16 pages of this thread. Very helpful. Thanks.

My concern: i have a top loader and I wash every other day. I have a combination of AIOs, prefolds, pockets and couple of fitters. My pockets and AIOs are leaking which is making me want to quit. so I want to try tide and see how that goes. I prewash cold, hot wash with detergent and rinse again. Just finished my 2nd bag of rockin green. Hard rock.

I was using RG so far (4 months of CD) and I am going in for tide today. I will also get some clorox bleach. So pls help me out. Which tide should I get? The Tide ultra original powder or liquid

If they are leaking out of the legs, it's probibly repelling. Have you tried a good dawn strip? It could be the detergent just didn't rinse out well. I had a long conversation with tide a while back and they say for most water tpes, the liquid will simply rinse cleaner. I have always used the original liquid. Nothing fancy. It just works so I stick with it. I can't say what would work for you for sure though. Ever moma will have very diff results. There are sooooo many factors that go into it. I can only tell you what works for me. Once you get it, if you run into any other questions, i would be more than happy to try and help. I'm sorry your having trouble moma. You will find your perfect routie. It just takes finding the best for you detergent (tide is a good place to start), and how much. A warm quickwash before you run the main wash will really help pull out the excess urine and bm. Otherwise, your routine sounds good.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #130
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

I only have 3 hemp inserts and 2 hemp/hemp fleece stay dry doublers (that are a little bulky)... should I just bite the bullet and use the Borax and hope I don't get issues from those? The rest of everything we have (aside from pockets and covers, which we wash separately) is all cotton.

I am VERY happy that we have ammonia free diapers!! I have a good feeling about this all now!

Oh, also, is there any issue with using Borax and Oxy in the same load? I am really liking the Oxy... I do do 3 separate loads though, so maybe I could use the Borax in the main long load with detergent and just use Oxy in the rinse cycle? (it's a full cycle, so it would rinse clean after)