Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #131
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

[QUOTE=MamaCrunch;14893091]I only have 3 hemp inserts and 2 hemp/hemp fleece stay dry doublers (that are a little bulky)... should I just bite the bullet and use the Borax and hope I don't get issues from those? The rest of everything we have (aside from pockets and covers, which we wash separately) is all cotton.
I would persionally just use the borax because of price, but if you can swing it,calgon may be a better option for you.
I am VERY happy that we have ammonia free diapers!! I have a good feeling about this all now!

Oh, also, is there any issue with using Borax and Oxy in the same load? I am really liking the Oxy... I do do 3 separate loads though, so maybe I could use the Borax in the main long load with detergent and just use Oxy in the rinse cycle? (it's a full cycle, so it would rinse clean after)[/QUOTE]
You could try the bolded. Borax is actually very simular to oxy. If it were me, I'd drop the oxy if I were useing the borax or just do the bolded. Whatever you may think will work the best. You could give it a try and see how it goes.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #132
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

I think I'll just try the Borax and see how it goes with the hemp... We use econobums for DD during the day and the workhorses or pockets for both at night. We don't use the hemp often during the day, when we do use it, it is usually for nights or long car trips (hemp inserts in the pockets or hemp stay dry doubler in the workhorses), so I worry if the hemp will have skin contact issues after being washed with the Borax with them being used for longer periods than if they were our daytime diapers, but hopefully my routine offers plenty of rinsing to get it all out. I'm all about natural as possible and I try to keep things as low cost as possible... which is often conflicting... ugh the price of organic food! LOL but actually works in my favor for cleaning/washing supplies it seems... LOVE my vinegar and baking soda! And we make our own dishwasher detergent as well, so we already have Borax on hand for that.

How much should I be using per load? (Assuming I have about ~10 prefolds and 4 workhorses or pocket stuffings... we wash the covers with their clothes unless they're particularly gross...) I do a cold cycle with nothing, HOT/COLD wash with Arm&Hammer F&C tot he 2 line, then a cold or warm cycle with nothing. Still tweaking the cycle with this washer...
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #133
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have used Arm & HAmmer for a few washes now and it seems to be better! I just got A&H free yesterday and washed with that tonight. I had a Swaddlebees Simplex that had a nasty diarhea on it that i forgot to rinse so it has some stains still but it didn't smell! I was able to stick my nose up to it and no stink! This is HUGE for us. So I am really hoping this is the detergent i needed!
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #134
branfam
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Whew, what a workout! I can't remember what kind of water you said you have. I would prob start close to line 1 and work from there. Make sure you are getting plenty of good sudsing going on, but not too much. Then you will be able to slowly tweak it after that. It's important to use enough. You also don't want to end up with darn detergent buildup though.

Can't wait to see how it goes!
I think our water is pretty normal. Maybe a little hard but not to much. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again!

PS. I got a bunch if new dipes from DS and FB. I am working on stripping them right now. They were smelly... :/
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #135
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

That's something I keep meaning to bring up too... Our diapers have NEVER had a smell out of the washer or dryer! The ONLY smell once they are peed in and in the wet bag... I hear a lot of people complaining about ammonia smell out of the washer/dryer, but I've NEVER had that, even the ones that instantly gave them blistering rashes, singed my eyeballs, and about knock you out from across the house... as soon as they get washed, you can shove them into your nose and smell NOTHING... Until they get peed on...

Anyone else have spoiled diapers that only pitch a stink when they get peed on? LOL
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #136
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch
That's something I keep meaning to bring up too... Our diapers have NEVER had a smell out of the washer or dryer! The ONLY smell once they are peed in and in the wet bag... I hear a lot of people complaining about ammonia smell out of the washer/dryer, but I've NEVER had that, even the ones that instantly gave them blistering rashes, singed my eyeballs, and about knock you out from across the house... as soon as they get washed, you can shove them into your nose and smell NOTHING... Until they get peed on...

Anyone else have spoiled diapers that only pitch a stink when they get peed on? LOL
Yes! We've had them stink out of the washer or dryer but I throw them right back into the washer w/more detergent (it's only happened when I was skimping on detergent). And our only stink has been w/overnight diapers.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:00 AM   #137
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The ones we go used a while back that had ammonia, back when I wasn't stripping every used diaper, smelled great until William urinated into them. They had all been washed with extra bleach and a sanitary cycle. I now strip and bleach all used and havn't had any issues since. Not after treating them. I had it happen a cpl times and just do it as a precaution now.

I think it's like washing cd's, so much varries. Some will have a smell out of the wash, the dryer, or when used. Not all "smell" is created equall, lol. You have detergent buildup, ammonia buildup, or bacteria buildup. Sometimes more than one or even all can go together. The minerals from hard water can buildup as well, all giving off diff odors at diff times.

It was a great point to bring up
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #138
natalee_ava
Registered Users
seller

Thanks so much for all the great advice!
I have had ammonia issues in the past with my flip organic inserts that we used with my ydd overnight and I resorted to the fish tank tablets to give us some relief. Seemed to work well enough for the short time we used them after that but the tub routine sounds like a better way to go this time with my ds's dipes. We are not dealing with ammonia right now but instead my ds has irritation on his inner thighs that I worry may have something to do with our wash routine. I had stopped washing on hot b/c of the worry that I may unnecessarily fade my fitteds (GMs) and now I am concerned that buildup might be causing his serging (thigh) sensitivities. He has not always been sensitive to serging so I was confused when he started to get the red thighs. Do you think buildup could be a culprit?
Either way, I am doing a bathtub strip right now with all my flip inserts and GMs. I filled it with super hot water and it is still too hot to stomp in just yet. I need to go out for a bit and if it is cold when I get back, do I drain it and add more hot or just add hot to the cold water? I will have to drain it at some point tonight b/c my kids will need to use the tub. And do you think the overnight soak is crucial to getting everything out? Or is that most important when you have serious smell/burn issues? Thanks again for your help!!!

ETA: Oh and I meant to add that I have a TLer (10 years old and on its last leg) and have been using Purex F&C. I also have Arm & Hammer F&C. I used to use Tide F&C powder until I ran out and they stop carrying it everywhere I looked. I almost bought the Tide F&G powder at Target when I saw it the other day but wasn't sure if that was the same as the old stuff. I never really had problems with powder but am def open to trying liquid if it washes cleaner. I don't bleach (again for fear of ruining my pretty fitteds) but do use Ecover softener to keep the fitteds soft. I also worried that the ecover could be the problem since I didn't start using that until recently. I just really don't want to say that it is a definite serging sensitivity b/c I have too many serged dipes to try and sell and start over.

Last edited by natalee_ava; 04-03-2012 at 10:57 AM.
natalee_ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #139
branfam
Registered Users
seller

So I put the girls in cloth last night and NO smell! And no burn!! Yay!! No to see how long it last...
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #140
american_mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalee_ava View Post
Thanks so much for all the great advice!
I have had ammonia issues in the past with my flip organic inserts that we used with my ydd overnight and I resorted to the fish tank tablets to give us some relief. Seemed to work well enough for the short time we used them after that but the tub routine sounds like a better way to go this time with my ds's dipes. We are not dealing with ammonia right now but instead my ds has irritation on his inner thighs that I worry may have something to do with our wash routine. I had stopped washing on hot b/c of the worry that I may unnecessarily fade my fitteds (GMs) and now I am concerned that buildup might be causing his serging (thigh) sensitivities. He has not always been sensitive to serging so I was confused when he started to get the red thighs. Do you think buildup could be a culprit?
Either way, I am doing a bathtub strip right now with all my flip inserts and GMs. I filled it with super hot water and it is still too hot to stomp in just yet. I need to go out for a bit and if it is cold when I get back, do I drain it and add more hot or just add hot to the cold water? I will have to drain it at some point tonight b/c my kids will need to use the tub. And do you think the overnight soak is crucial to getting everything out? Or is that most important when you have serious smell/burn issues? Thanks again for your help!!!

ETA: Oh and I meant to add that I have a TLer (10 years old and on its last leg) and have been using Purex F&C. I also have Arm & Hammer F&C. I used to use Tide F&C powder until I ran out and they stop carrying it everywhere I looked. I almost bought the Tide F&G powder at Target when I saw it the other day but wasn't sure if that was the same as the old stuff. I never really had problems with powder but am def open to trying liquid if it washes cleaner. I don't bleach (again for fear of ruining my pretty fitteds) but do use Ecover softener to keep the fitteds soft. I also worried that the ecover could be the problem since I didn't start using that until recently. I just really don't want to say that it is a definite serging sensitivity b/c I have too many serged dipes to try and sell and start over.
I have recently been using Arm & Hammer with success!
http://deals.mamapedia.com/?ref_id=3...ontent=hotmail
american_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote