Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #141
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by american_mommy View Post
I have recently been using Arm & Hammer with success!
A&H has been doing seemingly well for us too... Purex F&C is what gave us the issues to begin with...

Advertisement

Last edited by MamaCrunch; 04-03-2012 at 11:51 AM.
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #142
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalee_ava View Post
Thanks so much for all the great advice!
I have had ammonia issues in the past with my flip organic inserts that we used with my ydd overnight and I resorted to the fish tank tablets to give us some relief. Seemed to work well enough for the short time we used them after that but the tub routine sounds like a better way to go this time with my ds's dipes. We are not dealing with ammonia right now but instead my ds has irritation on his inner thighs that I worry may have something to do with our wash routine. I had stopped washing on hot b/c of the worry that I may unnecessarily fade my fitteds (GMs) and now I am concerned that buildup might be causing his serging (thigh) sensitivities. He has not always been sensitive to serging so I was confused when he started to get the red thighs. Do you think buildup could be a culprit?
I really couldn't say for sure. You may want to try a warm instead of cold? William developed a sensitivity to the serging about 6 months back, just out of the blue. So I'm not sure if it's laundry related or not? KWIM?
Either way, I am doing a bathtub strip right now with all my flip inserts and GMs. I filled it with super hot water and it is still too hot to stomp in just yet. I need to go out for a bit and if it is cold when I get back, do I drain it and add more hot or just add hot to the cold water?
No need to drain, just add more hot.
I will have to drain it at some point tonight b/c my kids will need to use the tub. And do you think the overnight soak is crucial to getting everything out? Or is that most important when you have serious smell/burn issues? Thanks again for your help!!!
If they have been in the tub for much of the day, I wouldn't worry. The overnight is more for the super buildup or ammonia problems. It's more so you don't take the risk of having to do it again. Better safe than sorry when dealing with all the dipes having ammonia or repelling. You should be just fine.I
ETA: Oh and I meant to add that I have a TLer (10 years old and on its last leg) and have been using Purex F&C. I also have Arm & Hammer F&C. I used to use Tide F&C powder until I ran out and they stop carrying it everywhere I looked. I almost bought the Tide F&G powder at Target when I saw it the other day but wasn't sure if that was the same as the old stuff. I never really had problems with powder but am def open to trying liquid if it washes cleaner. I don't bleach (again for fear of ruining my pretty fitteds) but do use Ecover softener to keep the fitteds soft. I also worried that the ecover could be the problem since I didn't start using that until recently. I just really don't want to say that it is a definite serging sensitivity b/c I have too many serged dipes to try and sell and start over.
I was actually going to suggest a softner. I can't immagine Williams skin without it. With the fittedsand the serging anyhow. I like them as soft as possible.
I have to run PU Cayden from school. LMK if you run into any other questions, ok. I'll answer if I can.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #143
branfam
Registered Users
seller

I have another question when you say you wash every other day how does that look?

EX: I wash on Monday what day should I wash? Wednesday or Thursday?
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #144
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

If you wash Monday, skip Tuesday, wash Wednesday... every other day. At least that's what I do...

First diaper out after the overnight soak with ammonia remover (and LOTS of it) and we have ammonia... not even a night diaper... kids n pets and bleach next I guess... blah! I had a good feeling about this time... but this is just how my day is going today!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #145
branfam
Registered Users
seller

Is it best to wash every other day? Or every 2-3 days? That way you aren't causing extra wear and tear on your diapers?
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #146
homebirthmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Without reading all the other posts, I wanted to ask you what kind of diapers you use? Also, do you use bleach on ALL of your diapers, the pockets and cover with PUL and the inserts too? Or just the inserts/ prefolds? Thanks!
homebirthmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #147
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
If you wash Monday, skip Tuesday, wash Wednesday... every other day. At least that's what I do...

First diaper out after the overnight soak with ammonia remover (and LOTS of it) and we have ammonia... not even a night diaper... kids n pets and bleach next I guess... blah! I had a good feeling about this time... but this is just how my day is going today!
I'm sooo sorry hun! I just can not believe the crap you are haveing to go through!
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfam View Post
Is it best to wash every other day? Or every 2-3 days? That way you aren't causing extra wear and tear on your diapers?
I really can't say because many momas will have no issue with eyery 3 days, but some will. KWIM. It will also depend on how many you have. You want a good size load, just not too many. It would be worth a try I suppose. The only thing to think about is the longer they have to sit (or dry out too), the more condinsed the urine becomes and ammonia salts have more time to form. Also, the bacteria have more time to grow. So for a moma haveing problems, I would suggest no more than 3 for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmomma View Post
Without reading all the other posts, I wanted to ask you what kind of diapers you use? Also, do you use bleach on ALL of your diapers, the pockets and cover with PUL and the inserts too? Or just the inserts/ prefolds? Thanks!
I have just about every type under the sun, including some diff kinds of trainers. It all get's bleached.
HTH!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #148
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

What would you all consider too many diapers in a load? I have a TL and set it to extra large. I wash every other day, that is when the pail is full, and we have about 18 pockets, hemp inserts/prefolds that were used in the pockets, a few AIOs, 2 dozen wipes, and maybe a night trainer or two.
Does that sound good?
When I have my newborn do you think I'm going to have to run two loads?

Thansk!!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #149
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

This is just the worst day for everything... we went to Walmart and could NOT find the Kids n Pets anywhere... I looked everywhere too...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #150
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServingHim View Post
What would you all consider too many diapers in a load? I have a TL and set it to extra large. I wash every other day, that is when the pail is full, and we have about 18 pockets, hemp inserts/prefolds that were used in the pockets, a few AIOs, 2 dozen wipes, and maybe a night trainer or two.
Does that sound good?
When I have my newborn do you think I'm going to have to run two loads?

Thansk!!
That sounds like a pretty big load, lol. I don't know if I would call it too many though. I wouldn't go larger. When the baby arrives, I'd deff do two loads. NB's go through soooo many diapers and you would end up with way too many in there and they wouldn't have enough room to aggitate.
I'm not sure what size your diapers are though. I'd say no higher in the drum than a reg full load of cloths. I wouldn't put enough in there to get to the extra large load line, ya know close to the rim. Diapers need a little more room to move around than cloths do to get good and clean.

HTH hun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
This is just the worst day for everything... we went to Walmart and could NOT find the Kids n Pets anywhere... I looked everywhere too...
Oh no. Did you find a worker to ask? it may have been in an odd place.
It's in our cleaning or laundry isle? Now I can't remember. I need to buymore though. It could also have been the pet section?