Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #151
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

I have been having the WORST day, so I didn't ask, I just wanted to get out of there and go home, I did scour the pet section, laundry section, and cleaning section, even described the bottle to DH and had him go through them again while I looked at shoes to see of I missed it, but he didn't find anything either...

Advertisement

MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #152
3rugrats
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I'm not sure what size your diapers are though. I'd say no higher in the drum than a reg full load of cloths. I wouldn't put enough in there to get to the extra large load line, ya know close to the rim. Diapers need a little more room to move around than cloths do to get good and clean.
I read somewhere at some point no more than 24 diaper items....so does that mean if you have pockets to count the pocket as one and the insert as one?

another question....if you are having ammonia stink, should you just try and up the detergent and add some bleach, or do you need to do the full strip with dawn and then do the detergent with bleach? I think I am using too little amount of detergent AND trying to make it work using a CD friendly detergent but I am thinking I just need to go to Tide already.

TIA
3rugrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #153
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
That sounds like a pretty big load, lol. I don't know if I would call it too many though. I wouldn't go larger. When the baby arrives, I'd deff do two loads. NB's go through soooo many diapers and you would end up with way too many in there and they wouldn't have enough room to aggitate.
I'm not sure what size your diapers are though. I'd say no higher in the drum than a reg full load of cloths. I wouldn't put enough in there to get to the extra large load line, ya know close to the rim. Diapers need a little more room to move around than cloths do to get good and clean.

HTH hun!

Oh no. Did you find a worker to ask? it may have been in an odd place.
It's in our cleaning or laundry isle? Now I can't remember. I need to buymore though. It could also have been the pet section?
Thanks Sarah! That is what I was thinking too but wanted to double check with some other laudry pros!
Our diapers are all OS and only fill the drum a little over half way so they have plenty of room to aggitate. I have no stink or ammonia issues either so obviously they are getting clean.
I am not looking forward to having to do 2 loads though! I may just wash daily.

Last edited by ServingHim; 04-04-2012 at 07:35 PM.
ServingHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #154
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post
I read somewhere at some point no more than 24 diaper items....so does that mean if you have pockets to count the pocket as one and the insert as one?

another question....if you are having ammonia stink, should you just try and up the detergent and add some bleach, or do you need to do the full strip with dawn and then do the detergent with bleach? I think I am using too little amount of detergent AND trying to make it work using a CD friendly detergent but I am thinking I just need to go to Tide already.

TIA
I would think that the diaper and insert together would count as 1.
As far as the ammonia, you need to bleach them, it will kill it.
If I were you I would switch detergent and use the full amount recommended for a heavily soiled load. HTH
Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #155
homebirthmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I know you said everything gets bleach, but I just want to make sure, lol! If I had a cotton and bamboo velour printed fitted, would it ruin the colors/prints? Thanks! I know I NEED to use bleach , but Im scared to ruin the colors and or prints. Thanks for your help!!
homebirthmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #156
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rugrats View Post

The pocket and insert count as 1.

TIA
I would first try the switch to a strong detergent and some momas have cleared up their odor that simple, with some bleach too. Then you can see if will need a strip. Do the easiest first, kwim. You could try more detergent, but to be honest, I'd just finish it up on the cloths. Compleatly up to you. If you need more help with anything, feel free to ask away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmomma View Post
Ok, I know you said everything gets bleach, but I just want to make sure, lol! If I had a cotton and bamboo velour printed fitted, would it ruin the colors/prints? Thanks! I know I NEED to use bleach , but Im scared to ruin the colors and or prints. Thanks for your help!!
The bamboo velour could most deff fade. It's a natural fiber. It's all in what risk you are willing to take and what route you are comfy going. You can always dilute the bleach in a pitcher of water before adding it to the drawer. It will help ensure no splatter bleaching in case your machine doesn't dilute it well comeing out. In a normal tl'er you can just add it to the water before adding the dipers. This will help protect the diapers.
I know it's a hard decision, for even a major bleach user like me. I have some nice bamboo velour trainers in bright colors. They were very cheap, but they are so nice it still scares the crud out of me! It's only because my washer doesn't dilute as well as I'd like. We just started useing them, but I'm going to use the pitcher to water it down before I add it. It's just a risk I'm willing to take. I can totally respect if the diapers you are talking about are just too much of an investment that you want to look into other options. There is GSE and peroxide. I hear the GRS just rocks. Don't buy into the tto thing though. You need 4% dilution to kill the disinfect the load of diapers. I know momas won't want to hear that.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #157
homebirthmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, LOL! What is GSE and GSR, and how would I incorporate this into my routine? And what is tto? LOL! IM sorry! Im (somewhat) new to CDing Thanks for your help!!!!
homebirthmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #158
ATallGiraffe
Registered Users
Formerly: janny17
seller
seller

I haven't had a chance to read through everything, but I was wondering if in your experience you have found it okay to use bleach even on PUL?
Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #159
redjadefire
Registered Users
seller

This is seriously the BEST thread. Thanks so much.

Okay, a dumb question from a new CDing mom who is also kinda new at laundry in general (embarrassing, I know). When you say bleach, are we talking regular ol' Clorox? Can someone post of picture of the bottle? hahah

Last edited by redjadefire; 04-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
redjadefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #160
ServingHim
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATallGiraffe View Post
I haven't had a chance to read through everything, but I was wondering if in your experience you have found it okay to use bleach even on PUL?
I bleach my pockets and AIOs every wash and so far no issues at all.