Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #181
momma_dna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by branfam
I'm still rinsing the tide out!! Good grief!! I don't know what to do? Should I try a different detergent?
Have you tried adding vinegar to help break up the suds? 1/2c helps me.

Also, try not adding do much tide next time.

Sent from my iPhone, which thinks it can read my mind.

Advertisement

momma_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #182
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by american_mommy View Post
We have no issues with the regular clothes. Everything comes out clean. I even got some of that washer cleaner thinking it might help
I don't really know why the heck it would be working well on the cloths and not the diapers? I can't remember, do you do a prerinse? I do a full hot quickwash cycle. it rinses out much of the urine and bm. It helps that it rinses a cpl times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfam View Post
I tried tide original and it was super sudsy. I only had a few dipes to wash so that could have been it?!?! Or I might have used too much soap?!?! Maybe I should try tide free?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfam View Post
I'm still rinsing the tide out!! Good grief!! I don't know what to do? Should I try a different detergent?
I don't think the tide free would be much diff suds wise. Could you be adding too much? Is it powder or liquid? I'm sorry hun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna View Post
Have you tried adding vinegar to help break up the suds? 1/2c helps me.

Also, try not adding do much tide next time.

Sent from my iPhone, which thinks it can read my mind.
This is a good idea.

Sorry I have been MIA. We have been SUPER buissy.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #183
ballerina
Registered Users

thanks so much for this- very helpful!
ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #184
mamably15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I really appreciate everyones input here! It is helping me troubleshoot my issues! Nice to get more experienced opinions since im pretty new to CD!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #185
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's what we are all here for, to help eachother!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #186
homebirthmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so when you put all your diapers in the tub with dawn, you are putting them in there already clean I assume, right? I know thats probably a stupid question! So would I do my normal wash routine and then put them in the tub?

Is ammonia smell normal after the diapers have been in the diaper pail for a day or two? I don't notice the smell right when she pees and I change her, but after they are in the pail or wet bag over night, they smell like ammonia. Is this normal, or does this mean I have an ammonia/ build up problem?

I bought some tide original liquid ( I was using original powder) and I just filled it to the 1 line and it was VERY sudsy!! It took forever to rinse. Im not even sure I rinsed it totally out, I had to leave after a while and just let it run through one more time, so Im hoping it got it all:/ How much do you use in your wash? I have a top loader with what I "think" is "normal" water, not hard or soft.

I have been using 1/2 cup of bleach in the last few loads, not sure if it helped or not. I have some diapers in the pail right now, and they smell like ammonia, but they have been in there for a day, so thats why I was wondering if that is normal or not.

Thanks so much for any help/advice
homebirthmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #187
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmomma View Post
Ok, so when you put all your diapers in the tub with dawn, you are putting them in there already clean I assume, right? I know thats probably a stupid question! So would I do my normal wash routine and then put them in the tub?
Yep, clean.
Is ammonia smell normal after the diapers have been in the diaper pail for a day or two? I don't notice the smell right when she pees and I change her, but after they are in the pail or wet bag over night, they smell like ammonia. Is this normal, or does this mean I have an ammonia/ build up problem?
That question will always get diff answers. I believe for some momas, you should get a strong urine smell with the dirty diaper smell. Ammonia, not so much. I say this because on our full week camping diapers I never smell ammonia. Now some momas on here have said they get that diaper pail ammonia smell no matter what they do and it's only in the pail. It never causes them trouble. So I guess if you have no other issues going on and you are takeing all the steps to prevent it like ventilation, cool storage location, and washing only ever other day-every 3 days, even rinseing out diapers if you want to try that, then it should be ok. Ammonia smell to me means not clean enough diapers/too much urine or bacteria in them, and so on. I may be one of the lucky ones that have been blessed to have never smelt ammonia in our own diapers. I have in fsot ones. That's why I strip all diapering items that come into the house along with sanitise. Also, some kids have stronger urine and that will produce that strong peepee smell. Some kids just need more water. Sorry I don't have a better answer for this question.
I bought some tide original liquid ( I was using original powder) and I just filled it to the 1 line and it was VERY sudsy!! It took forever to rinse. Im not even sure I rinsed it totally out, I had to leave after a while and just let it run through one more time, so Im hoping it got it all:/ How much do you use in your wash? I have a top loader with what I "think" is "normal" water, not hard or soft.
I thought I had normal water as we did down the road. When we moved in I got my new machine and SOFT water.This is how I discovered the tried and true tub method. A sweet moma here told me about it. I was useing around line 2? I think which took 4 months to give us complete repelling and detergent buildup! I never realised it could happen so slowely. I now use half way to the 1 spot in my machine drayer. No additional rinses now. It all rinses very clean. I have noticed that the liquid works better for some and powder for others. You may have used a little too much, the water could be softer than you knew, or your a powder moma. it's so much to do with what's in that water. Also, some suds can be harmless, some can be from the water type or aggitation. Now you don't want a bunch of foamy soapy looking bubbles in the final rinse. It can take months, but it can lead to trouble. If it was just a little, I wouldn't worry too much. It also could have very well bean detergent already in the diapers washing out if you were on the first wash with the new type of detergent. A change in detergent type can push out the old. You may also want to try a little vinegar in the rinse to strip out any remnants of the detergents.
I have been using 1/2 cup of bleach in the last few loads, not sure if it helped or not. I have some diapers in the pail right now, and they smell like ammonia, but they have been in there for a day, so thats why I was wondering if that is normal or not.
It really may just be normal for some momas? I hate to be one of those momas that scream no smell in normal, kwim. I have just been blessed to never have it. I don't think you should have to put up with it. Make sure to try all the preventitive steps. Even look into wet pailing? I don't like wet pails, but MANY momas have had their troubles cured by it. They rinse the water out daily and it ended their problems. Smells from diapers can varry too. You can get bacterial smells that can be fishy, just dirty that are kinda barnyard, strong or toddler urine, and then ammonia is a very distinct nose hair burning smell. Your eyes will water if it's strong and it'll burn the skin. You smell it once and you can detect a hint of it comeing on anyplace.
Thanks so much for any help/advice
Feel free to ask if you come across any more questions and I'll be happy to help if I can.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #188
homebirthmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When you say to try vinegar in the rinse, is this the FINAL rinse or the first prewash/rinse? Thanks so much!! I can't wait to find a routine that works for us!!!!!!!!!!!!
homebirthmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #189
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't persionally use it. I assume you could do either because it would be doing the job either way. You could always just put it in a downy ball. That would make things easier for you. If you are doing extra rinses, I would try it in one of those. If the routine is working well for you you prob won't need an extra rinse. The dryer will remove the smell. I used it when we first started cd'ing. The smell wasn't strong. By the time they were dry, it was gone though.

HTH!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #190
greencrunchymama
Registered Users
seller
seller