Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #191
crazymom
Registered Users
seller

It took me around three months to get a routine down that worked but that was with my old washer. I have a front loader now. Vinegar always worked well for us. I used whatever free and clear detergent I found on sale and put vinegar in my bleach compartment. I did bleach prefolds and non colored fitteds once a month. I generally would strip with dawn every other month. My daughter was a heavy soaker too. It will be interesting to see what works with the front loader when the new one arrives. Thanks for all of your input mamas.

Di..... mom to my teen, my princess, and a new addition may 2012. I can spell but my iPhone can't!

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #192
natalee_ava
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Hot damn I think my issue is yeast.

I did the bathtub strip followed by a nice bleach wash so my dipes were prob good to go but my kiddo wasn't. So now I am bleaching them all again b/c I don't know which ones have been used since the big strip. I have been reading every recent thread on yeast rashes and feel that it is most likely our issue. Coconut oil has not been doing anything and even my Burt's bees rash cream does not help...and that stuff usually fixes everything. Dh just went out for some lotromin and DS is in sposies for the next few days while we figure this out. I never suspected yeast b/c I assumed I would have to show symptoms too since he would have had to have gotten it from me, right? Never did I think that it could have come from the used diapers that I bought recently. Dang I feel silly for not bleaching them when I got them. I CDed my middle child for 3 years, with loads of used dipes, and never had this issue so it didn't dawn on me that it could have traveled to me that way. He has been trying to tell me that something was wrong by constantly grabbing and puling at his legs and boy bits but i just thought that was a normal boy thing. Lol. He is my first boy so what did i know?
Such a bummer but I hope it is a quick fix.

Last edited by natalee_ava; 04-21-2012 at 09:17 PM.
natalee_ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #193
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, not from you. Yeast is part of the bodies normal flora. If this ballance is disrupted (antibiotics are a great example) then the good bacteria that keep the yeast levels in check die or their levels drop, the yeast will start to grow out of healthy levels. IE...yeast infection. We have yeast everywhere and it causes no harm. Untill his healthy bacteria can regrow, be sure to bleach with a higher amnt for a cpl loads, get the dipe covers and wetbag as well. The yeast spores are not killed by bleaching, so it will take consistency. Also use high heat and the dryer. Nip it in the bud dso it doesn't come back. We struggled with it for months because William also has thrush and transfurred it to my nipples as well. We both had to time treatment perfectly and keep ontop of the bleach to finally rid it. Also, probiotics! They will help replace his normal flora, and yoghurt!

GL!!! And huge hugs! This is a real pain to deal with!

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #194
jalbrecht89
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Tide liquid HE. That's all I've ever used, so not sure about other detergents. However, I have never used bleach. I use vinegar instead. Doesn't vinegar sanitize like bleach, or no? I've never had problems with it.
jalbrecht89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #195
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It has some sanitising qualities to it. Bleach is much stronger though. If you have great success with it, I'd stick with what works for you.

My fav link on it isn't loading. I did find this:
That: Vinegar
Pros: The vinegar you buy in stores, whether apple cider, balsamic, white, or another kind, contains 5 percent acetic acid, which does have antimicrobial properties. Various studies have found that vinegar, usually in combination with table salt or hydrogen peroxide, can inhibit the growth of some strains of E. coli. It's also an effective mold killer. Its production doesn't take such a toll on the environment, and while it can be pungent, a whiff of vinegar cleaning mix won't sear your airways.
Cons:So does vinegar kill germs? The exact science is a little murky. When it comes to food safety, vinegar hasn't been as thoroughly tested as chlorine bleach. Studies that find it kills germs are generally vague in terms of how much of the germs are killed and how much are left behind. While we often recommend it for general cleaning, it would be great to have more specifics on its germ-killing capabilities, especially for people who have someone with a compromised immune system in their home, or some other reason to be extra concerned about germs. Also, some people do have a problem with the smell (though it's odorless once it dries).
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #196
RoccerMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Boo'sMama
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am SO SO thrilled to have found this thread! Since DS was a newborn I haven't had many issues with diaper laundry. At least none that couldn't be solved with a quick dawn strip....We had hard water and I would do vinegar in the initial rinse, some tide free and gentle powder (I tried the liquid and it was no bueno) with small amount of borax and some calgon when I felt we could afford it. Then I would run a whole extra wash with nothing and an extra rinse and diapers were clean.

About a month ago we got a water softener! I was soooo excited to do diaper laundry thinking it would make them even cleaner and softer! But it has been an absolute nightmare. Most of the diapers are ok....we do fitteds that I make from bamboo and cotton fabrics and wool. Sometimes his naptime diaper smells a little amonia-y. But the night time diapers -- BG Pockets-- are awful. They smell like really bad amonia when he wakes up in the morning. And sometimes he wakes up from the pain of it. The other night he woke up at two AM crying and trying to pull his jammies and diaper off. He had a small amonia burn on his little peep with a tiny dot of blood on his diaper. I felt sooo awful. Since then I have been putting him in his most absorbant fitteds at night. Its better but I feel they could be cleaner kwim? And I want to be able to use my pockets if I want too without the worry... With another baby due in July I really want to have my laundry routine perfected as I will most likely be doing diaper laundry every day between the two. The newb will be in fitteds and pfs. I would love your input o wise cd laundry guru! lol I can go pick up tide liquid if you think that'd be better. I also have tide f&g powder, borax, washing soda, oxy clean, and vinegar in my laundry arsenal. I don't use bleach cuz all my fitteds are sooo cute and I don't want them ruined..lol..Would color-safe bleach help? I wash in an older wirlpool top loader and dry everything in my new steam dryer on the anti-bacterial setting if that helps... Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom in this area!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #197
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have soft water and it's sure a hard transition. I'm thinking you got stuck with detergent buildup and the ammonia then settled in. How huch detergent are you using. When we moved in and got the new washer, I cut my detergent in more than half! I still can't believe that little detergent works. Normally I'm telling momas more detergent. This stinks to say, but I would do a good strip of all of the diapering items. Try the bath tub stomp wash method and overnight soak since they are now leaving burns. Then you will need to find the sanitiseing method you prefur. Color safe bleach won't do much at all. Not even all clorox will. It has to be original that contains 6% of the disinfecting ingredient. There is poroxide. Don't trust tto, please. It would take 4% of the liquid in the machine to work. There is grape seed extract. I don't know how much you would use as I'm just a bleacher, lol. I know it will work though. You may be able to find it at a health food store or online. I hear nothng but good things about it. You want to hit all bases when you have a case of ammonia that is starting to burn. Strip will remove the detergent and ammonia buildup, disinfecting a cpl times or a good soak will kill any bacteria lingering in the material, and change up the wash routine. If you are still useing the same amnt of detergent, try useing less and find an amnt that get's them clean, but rinses well. You may have to slowly reduce it. I wouldn't use the calgon any longer as it will just lubricate/soften the water even further. The borax has a cpl good properties, but also softens. You could just use it on extra dirty loads. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Sounds like you have a great dryer!!!! Heat is key to killing bacteria. Also make sure you don't put any diapers that arn't super dry away. Check how ventilated the pail is. I am actually useing 1/2 way to the line 1 in my drayer with original liquid tide he. I have never had any luck with powder rinseing out for me. I can always still smell it SUPER strong. I just do a 27 min quick wash cycle on hot, 145 deg. Then a sanitary cycle with the tide or 1 pack of dropps and 1/4 cup bleach and then 60 min in the dryer on high heat.

There are other stripping options, but since the dawn works well for you too, I'd stick with it. Oh, to help strip and remove any organic matter, there is an enzyme material cleaner at walmart I posted a pic of a while back called kids n pets. It rocks!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #198
RoccerMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Boo'sMama
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for the advice! I think you're right about the build up.--if not from detergent maybe even minerals/calcium? The water here is mountain runoff and calcium is a HUGE issue. Coats EVERYTHING. Our water heater needed replacing simply because it was mostly full of calcium build up. But its really only the diapers I've had for a long time that I seem to be having issues with. The fitteds I've sewn him in the last couple of months seem fine. I think I'm going to go pick up a pack of sposies and put him in them for a day while I do a huge strip on EVERYTHING though just to be safe. I'll do the dawn in the tub and then a grape seed extract/water soak....? Then revamp my wash routine. I think I'll try orginal tide liquid. Now that we have the soft water I've still been using the tide f&g (about a half scoop) but I've ditched the borax and calgon as it didn't seem to help. I have done some oxy clean and vinegar which both seem to help with the amonia. I thought it was fine because I was checking for suds in the wash and it was all clear... I think I'll stick with some vinegar in the last rinse cycle if only just to keep them soft. What's your take on the oxyclean? And how much tide liquid do you think I should start out trying? Thanks again!!!

Last edited by RoccerMom; 04-23-2012 at 02:52 PM.
RoccerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #199
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bet you are right about the minerals. Those can't be removed as far as my research has shown. I know calgon is #1 for preventing calcium. It can't remove it though. The dawn can't hurt. I'd say you are going to lave less of a calcium issue with the softner now. It's really hard switching from hard to soft water. ALL of our stash was 100% repelling from detergent buildup after 6 yrs experience. I had no clue the water was that soft here. I'd say perhaps start with line one and see how many suds are in the main wash. You don't want too many, but sure not too few. It's a a real pain finding that happy medium with detergent and a new water type or even a new machine. I had a heck of a time. Like being new all over again. Be sure to check each rinse for excess suds as well.

GL!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #200
The Peaceful Housewife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I highly suspect you see more mamas post about using powdered detergent because in general, liquid is more likely to cause buildup because it tends not to rinse out as well and leave a bit of a scum on your washer and potentially on your laundry.

The thing to remember about cloth diaper detergents is that natural detergents can work - but you NEED soap. All things in moderation, we're not talking a ton of soap. But you do need a cleaning agent.
The Peaceful Housewife is offline   Reply With Quote