Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #211
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

An update...

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...7#post15080477

Advertisement

MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #212
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No stinkin way! I'm just at a complete loss here? I just don't get why the ammonia is not comeing out.

Big giant !!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #213
Blakesmommy0907
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank you for posting this! I am currently battling ammonia and thought I just wasn't using enough detergent, but maybe I need to use some Oxyclean or bleach. I am actually afraid to use bleach on my diapers. We moved recently and before we bought a new washer and dryer I did ONE LOAD of diapers in the awful seriously ancient wash machine and it practically chewed up and spit out one of my Blueberries! (My FAVE, by the way!) I don't want to ruin any more diapers, especially if it is something I did. But I will probably try the oxyclean first. And a few of your other tips. I will reserve the bleach as a last resort.
Blakesmommy0907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #214
2boyz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am so glad to know i can use tide now! I love the smell of it anyway!! I have tried multiple detergents, powder and liquid, with the latest being EOS, and my diapers just don't smell clean to me!! I have always heard that I shouldn't put too much detergent in as it makes diapers repell water. What about with tide? Do you put in the same amount of detergent as if you were washing a load of clothes, or do you put in a smaller amount?
2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 AM   #215
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With tide, I have to use less. I ended up with repelling for the first time in 6 yrs of success. We just bought this place and a new fl'er. I had no idea the water was this soft. I did the tub strip and went down to less detergent. Then I went a bit lower untill I was happy with how clean they were with the least amnt. You will just have to play with it. It depends on sooo much, esp the water type. If the water is normal, perhaps start with 1/2 of what get's the cloths clean and go from there. You may be able to use a little less, or need to use a little more. Hope it works out well for ya!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 05-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #216
babymamma
Registered Users
seller

Pardon me if this has been asked already but I didn't read through the whole thread.

The past 3 nights my baby has been waking up every night with wet clothes and sheets. She has on a BG 4.0 pocket stuffed with bamboo flats. The flats are hardly wet when I unstuff the dipe! I tried to run the pocket under water - pooling. I run the flats under water and it absorbs immediately. I'm guessing this is detergent buildup and I need to rinse more after the wash cycle? I have a feeling I'm using too much detergent but I was so deathly afraid of my diapers not getting clean if I didn't use enough detergent. Here is my wash routime:

Cold wash with 1 scoop of Nellie's Laundry Soda and cold rinse
Hot wash with 2.5 scoops of Nellie's and cold rinse.
Hang dry covers and dry flats/inserts in dryer.

There are no suds during the last rinse cycle.

Diapers smell clean at the end of the washes and there is no ammonia smell when baby pees into the diapers.

Thanks for your help troubleshooting!
babymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #217
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I wanted to chime in and say, that after months of trying to be bleach free and use natural detergents, I'm back to Tide, Sanitary andbleach. Much less complicated. Spent a lot of time sniffing and trouble shooting. So listen to this Mama, she's right.

Sent from my "smart" phone
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #218
sunrain
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymamma View Post
Pardon me if this has been asked already but I didn't read through the whole thread.

The past 3 nights my baby has been waking up every night with wet clothes and sheets. She has on a BG 4.0 pocket stuffed with bamboo flats. The flats are hardly wet when I unstuff the dipe! I tried to run the pocket under water - pooling. I run the flats under water and it absorbs immediately. I'm guessing this is detergent buildup and I need to rinse more after the wash cycle? I have a feeling I'm using too much detergent but I was so deathly afraid of my diapers not getting clean if I didn't use enough detergent. Here is my wash routime:

Diapers smell clean at the end of the washes and there is no ammonia smell when baby pees into the diapers.

hmmm that's a tough one..... do you also use nellie's on your regular laundry? Do you use any fabric softeners or any other type of additive on anything in your washer?

I would handwash the covers/pockets in dawn and rinse rinse rinse to strip.

Alternatively you could use RLR Laundry treatment. Is your water hard? Minerals could be causing buildup and making your covers repel.

You could also try a little vinegar in the rinse ? But I don't know how much that would help.
sunrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #219
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymamma View Post

No worries hun, ask away. You could try skipping the detergent in your prewash. The prewash is mainly to flush out the excess urine and feces particles so you hare washing in cleaner water. It also get's them all good and wet and they will weigh more. You could even bump it up to warm for better rinsing results if you wanted to try that. It depends so much on the water type when you are measureing detergent. You could slowly step down the amnt you are useing and see where you are at making sure the dipes are still getting clean enough. Don't go with too little or you could end up with dang ammonia buillding up. It's kinda a fine line for each of us because of our water and all the other factors. Try not to worry yourself with it too much and keep things simple. It could either be the detergent isn't rinseing out enough, or too much detergent is being used and no rinseing out all the way. Another thing you could try in vinegar in the rinse. It's a good choice for removeing detergent residue.

If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to help. OH! Dud, silly me. I forgot. A strip in dawn should get that diaper wicking through to the core again. This happened to us when we moved here and had no clue the water was so soft, and got my 1st FL'er. ALL of it repelled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
I wanted to chime in and say, that after months of trying to be bleach free and use natural detergents, I'm back to Tide, Sanitary andbleach. Much less complicated. Spent a lot of time sniffing and trouble shooting. So listen to this Mama, she's right.

Sent from my "smart" phone
Yay!!!!!For an easy washing system. I'm so happy hun that things are working out for you! And thanks so much for the sweet comment!!!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #220
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To be honest Sarah, Im worried Im gonna ruin my diapers! I've gone through lots of diapers in my 10 years and I wanted to keep my new stash nice.. but its not worth all the hassle IMHO. Usually *some* maybe 1/3 of my diapers have to be replaced or repaired in between children (w/ sanitary, bleach and dryer usage).. so I guess its not *that* bad.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote