Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 AM   #221
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Aw, I'm sorry hun. Are you useing the min amnt of bleach that will still work for you?

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #222
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Used to use 1/8 cup. But I also used velcro diapers, now I have mostly snaps and am using a little less than 1/8, just a couple splashes in my bleach compartment (kenmore HE). And I used to have a smaller stash of covers, so that they all were getting washed at least 2x a week. I think that was part of it.

But honestly.. I had 24 diapers with ODD, that lasted through ODS. then I did a lot of trading till I got to my 4th, his diapers lasted him, his brother and his little sister (about 3years) before the covers were worn and needed replacing. Then YDD's stash of covers and diapers lasted her about 2.5 years and I was able to hand down a bunch of them. My youngest used her GN covers till rescently and they were still usable, just not pretty. So Im not sure what Im worried about really.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #223
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds good to me. I'm deff a function kinda moma. I really would have loved some really pretty print fitteds. Just wouldn't have worked for us because they prob wouldn't have stayed bright and colorfull long, lol.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 05-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #224
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ya me niether. Ive said forever that if a diaper cant handle my routine it doesnt belong in my stash! LOL. But the resent switch to all pockets and Im nervous.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #225
babymamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrain

hmmm that's a tough one..... do you also use nellie's on your regular laundry? Do you use any fabric softeners or any other type of additive on anything in your washer?

I would handwash the covers/pockets in dawn and rinse rinse rinse to strip.

Alternatively you could use RLR Laundry treatment. Is your water hard? Minerals could be causing buildup and making your covers repel.

You could also try a little vinegar in the rinse ? But I don't know how much that would help.
I don't use any fabric softener and not sure how to find out if my water is hard or soft. How does the hardness of the water impact the wash routine?
babymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #226
babymamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9

No worries hun, ask away. You could try skipping the detergent in your prewash. The prewash is mainly to flush out the excess urine and feces particles so you hare washing in cleaner water. It also get's them all good and wet and they will weigh more. You could even bump it up to warm for better rinsing results if you wanted to try that. It depends so much on the water type when you are measureing detergent. You could slowly step down the amnt you are useing and see where you are at making sure the dipes are still getting clean enough. Don't go with too little or you could end up with dang ammonia buillding up. It's kinda a fine line for each of us because of our water and all the other factors. Try not to worry yourself with it too much and keep things simple. It could either be the detergent isn't rinseing out enough, or too much detergent is being used and no rinseing out all the way. Another thing you could try in vinegar in the rinse. It's a good choice for removeing detergent residue.

If you run into any trouble, I'd be happy to help. OH! Dud, silly me. I forgot. A strip in dawn should get that diaper wicking through to the core again. This happened to us when we moved here and had no clue the water was so soft, and got my 1st FL'er. ALL of it repelled!
Thanks for the tips! My next load will be on wednesday so i will try a warm rinse with no detergent and an extra rinse after my hot wash/cold rinse cycle. I will step down the detergent in to 2 scoops during the wash as well.

How do I use dawn? Do I soak those diapers separately or just add Dawn to the wash cycle? And how much do I use? I am washing 24 diapers at a time.
babymamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:25 AM   #227
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ways to tell if the water is hard or soft. Wash your hands in warm water with real soap. If it's hard to rinse off, that's a sign of soft. Same with shampooing your hair. Hard water can leave some films or buildup around fawcets, coffee makers, or dishwasher, ect.

Hard water has a high mineral content that blocks the detergent from doing it's job. Something to do with surface temsion. A softner like calgon or borax is like a lubricant, softner, and booster in one.

To strip, I just do the tub stomp method I mention in the beginning of the thread. Just use the dawn. Some momas do it in the machine, but I won't chance it because I have a fl'er.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #228
Mr&MrsCortes
Registered Users
seller

Sounds awesome...i have used bac out in a soak overnight since may 3rd every week and nothing seems to be happening to my dipes either. I don't have a car so its kinda hard to get the other things u mentioned right now but it nice to kno im not the only one who doesn't listen to manufactors supposedly directions...lol
Mr&MrsCortes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #229
katc_1415
Registered Users
seller

Thank you for all the great information! I am literally right down the road from you in Sparta! Good to know all this info is coming from close to home!
katc_1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #230
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post
I wanted to chime in and say, that after months of trying to be bleach free and use natural detergents, I'm back to Tide, Sanitary andbleach. Much less complicated. Spent a lot of time sniffing and trouble shooting. So listen to this Mama, she's right.

Sent from my "smart" phone
I know you were trying to figure something out with the natural detergents, glad you found something that is working. I use all natural products in most of my home but I compromise by using All F&C w/oxyactive + bleach in our laundry (diapers too) because it WORKS. I feel that it is more eco-friendly to not have to rewash clothes and strip diapers all the time and to have them stay in good condition longer. I figure when my kids are past the toddler and baby stage and we no longer have super messy clothes and diapers, I might consider trying natural detergents again. For now, as the mama of 5, I'm sticking to what works and not feeling guilt.

I want to say THANK YOU to Sarah, you were what convinced me to switch from years of natural detergents and LOTS of stripping/stinkies to mainstream stuff and not be scared of bleach. Our diapers always look SO much better than they ever did before (so much for excess wear LOL) and we never ever have stinkies or rashes!
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote