Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #271
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel281 View Post
There is something so satisfying about clean diapers on the first try! For me, a key factor was ending my prewash in my HE machine on a WARM rinse so that my diapers stay hot in the HOT wash instead of lukewarm (cold wet diapers + hot water = lukewarm wash cycle)

100% agree!!! I swear by a hot or warm prewash.it just breaks up those waste particles so much better. Think of sugar or salt! Does it disolve better in hot/warm or cold? Bodily fluids just break down faster and with greater east in worm or hot. It also, like you said, keeps them hotter for the wash! Smart thinkin!!

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #272
erikan7
Registered Users
seller

This is so informative. Thank you!
erikan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #273
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your very welcome hun. I just wanna see other momas enjoy and suceed (sp?).
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 08-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #274
Isabellesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched to tide liquid original & have been using it for about 2 months in which time I've had ammonia stinks worse than I have ever. I do the dawn & bleach strip & use borax(I have well water) & the stinkies just won't go away! I use an open pail & it stinks up the whole bathroom/kitchen like pee. I use less soap=still dirty, I use more soap=soap build up, I rinse rinse rinse & still seems like built up soap. I just bought tide powder last night gonna try it out today. I sun always, of weather cooporates. The tide liquid got them the cleanest of all the soaps Ive tried but i get ammonia build-up & now seems like I have leaks with diapers I never had leaks with. Any info is GREATLY appreciated!
Isabellesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #275
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellesmama View Post
I switched to tide liquid original & have been using it for about 2 months in which time I've had ammonia stinks worse than I have ever. I do the dawn & bleach strip & use borax(I have well water) & the stinkies just won't go away! I use an open pail & it stinks up the whole bathroom/kitchen like pee. I use less soap=still dirty, I use more soap=soap build up, I rinse rinse rinse & still seems like built up soap. I just bought tide powder last night gonna try it out today. I sun always, of weather cooporates. The tide liquid got them the cleanest of all the soaps Ive tried but i get ammonia build-up & now seems like I have leaks with diapers I never had leaks with. Any info is GREATLY appreciated!
Oh wow! Do you have hard or soft water, or just reg?
What kind of washer? Oh, how often do you wash? PM me if you need to. Just give me all the info you can and I'll do my best to trouble shoot with you hun.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #276
Isabellesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a FL washer & I wash every other day when possible or every 2 days if I'm busy never pass that though. We have hard water. I use mostly pockets with a few AIOs, micro, bamboo, hemp, & cotton. I usually throw in a towel to help agitate because I have huge washer. I use a dry pail with no cover & shake baking soda in thoughout the day. Our water heater is up high & I always start off with quick cycle on cold with no soap & no spin, then sanitary on super hot with extra rinse with soap. Sometimes do a few extra rinses. Then I sun & throw in the dryer if still needs some extra drying, but I usually do my diaper laundry in the morning & they hang out the entire day. I used to use all free & clear until the build up give DD burns on her tush I've been using tide original liquid for 2 months & it works good for cleaning but I'm having repelling, & ammonia stinks bad. Thing morning I used tide powder but they r just going on the line now so won't know till she uses a few to see if it's the same as the liquid of what. Oh I also always put vinegar in the rinse cycle. DD is getting her molars so I didn't know if that could have anything to do with it? I've tried "CD detergents" & hated them & my system was going so good until just recently
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #277
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your routine sounds so good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellesmama View Post
I have a FL washer & I wash every other day when possible or every 2 days if I'm busy never pass that though. We have hard water. I use mostly pockets with a few AIOs, micro, bamboo, hemp, & cotton. I usually throw in a towel to help agitate because I have huge washer. I use a dry pail with no cover & shake baking soda in thoughout the day. Our water heater is up high & I always start off with quick cycle on cold with no soap & no spin, then sanitary on super hot with extra rinse with soap. Here is where I would try a change. Bodily fluids are more soluable in warmer temps. Try a hot or warm quick wash and good spin. Get them really rinsed out well. You want the wash to start off with way less urine and bodily wasts. Are you putting soap in the final finse? This may be a big issue as well. try without. The vinegar is great if you have the better kind of hard water that doesn't react with that stench with vinegar. I never had trouble with it. It rinses the detergent out better, softens the material, and neutralises the bleach's ph. Sometimes do a few extra rinses. Then I sun & throw in the dryer if still needs some extra drying, but I usually do my diaper laundry in the morning & they hang out the entire day. I used to use all free & clear until the build up give DD burns on her tush I've been using tide original liquid for 2 months & it works good for cleaning but I'm having repelling, & ammonia stinks bad. This to me means either not clean enough diapers or too much detergent. Ugh. How much are you useing, line 1, 2? I have super soft so have to use .5 way to line one or it oversuds. I know, crays! You will need to find your happy medium. It took me forever! I had repelling for the first time in almost 7 yrs when we bought this house with it's soft water and got the fl'er. The repelling is too much detergent left behind, the ammonia is a bigger issue. That's them not getting washed and cleaned well enough. You may have an issues with needing to use the borax in every single load to booste the etergents power and help with surface tension. Is this a burn your eyes real ammonia, almost ammonia, or just rank peepee? I really think the warm or hot prewash with high spin, borax with the detergent on sanitary and a bit of bleach, and rinse extra with the vinegar should help. You will need to give it a real chance though. Thing morning I used tide powder but they r just going on the line now so won't know till she uses a few to see if it's the same as the liquid of what. Oh I also always put vinegar in the rinse cycle. DD is getting her molars so I didn't know if that could have anything to do with it? I've tried "CD detergents" & hated them & my system was going so good until just recently
My advice would be to stear clear of the cd "safe".
You need those enzymes to eat away at the wastes. the product I keep talking about rocks. It's just enzymes, called pets n kids. You could squirt them in the pail with that to help. or in the wash for a short soak with it. Bofore you make any big changes, I suggest a good strip, especially since you are starting off with buildup and ammonia. They often go hand in hand. the detergent builds up and the ammonia crystals cling to it and grow. It's a real pita.

It took me 3 months after moveing in to realise we had 100% repelling. I was just simply useing too much. I'd give the things i suggested a consideration. If you have any other questions or need help with ANYTHING, I'm here, ok. Once again, I'm sorry you and your lo are having to deal with this.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #278
Isabellesmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, I will use the tips you gave me. & I used to use to line 1 but it still smelled dirty so I do about to line 2 & mayb I need a median for just right. & it's the sting your eyes & burn your nose hairs ammonia stink :/ Also I tried the powder tide omgosh never again!! It didn't even do anything but name my laundry ROOM smell good LOL! Haha I'll stick with the liquid*back to target I go* when I start with a quick wash with no soap I never let it spin out thinking the extra water would help bcuz my washer is super water efficient. I always do vinegar in the rinse with all my laundry. I usually throw some borax in with all my laundry as well but ran out so mayb that could be the problem too?. I'll get some of that kid & pet stuff. Do I use it every time? & also with the quick wash with no detergent I was always afraid that hot Would set in the stain & I'm a stickler for bright white diapers & am lucky to have not one stain in my stash.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #279
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't you bleach? I use the tide and bleach and never have stains. I know hot will set blood because of the proteins, but urine and bm don't have the same proteins. I've never had the problem. Try a warm just incase and see how it goes. I really think the warm and high spin will really rinse those dipes out! Do you have certian dipes that get the ammonia or is it everythng? I would do a hot or warm rinse with high spin, then a soak with hot or warm with the kids n pets. You wouldn't have to do a high spin so the machine would add the extra water. Also, instead of a quick wash cycle, you could do rinse only cycles and it wouldn't be that much more trouble, time, or water? Just a thought. Then the sanitary cycle with to line 2 of original tide liquid and borax, and 1/4 cup original clorox, rinse cycle with vinegar. Then you may be able to cut out the extra rinse or you could keep it to be on the safe side.

Here is my routine, but remember how soft my water is now. I'm down to only night wet dipes but the routine is the same because of towels, whites, and family cloth too.
Quick wash cycle, 27 mins with nothing, high spin, HOT with water heater on 145 deg.
Sanitary cycle with .5 to line 1 with original tide LIQUID.
60 mins on high heat dryer.
Done.
Every other day.

I HATE powder! I have tried it again and again. I just love the smell, but it won't work for me. I know it does work for some. Tide says the liquid was designed to rinse cleaner anyhow. I always have an overwhelming smell of tide when the cloths are done= didn't rinse! It gunks up my washer. DH has actually seen it reak havock on a septic. I just won't do it again. I do love the smell though, lol
Old 08-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #280
dealdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the tips! I currently do a warm prewash with oxyclean followed by a hot wash with Charlie's detergent with an extra rinse (front loading machine). I haven't had any problems, but added a bleach cycle to my last wash and I think my LO is having a reaction. He got a bad red rash that has lasted for a couple days now. Do you think it's the bleach? If so should I eliminate it? I can't add any additional rinses but I could run another quick wash cycle ... I'd rather not if I can help it. Thanks!!
dealdiva is offline   Reply With Quote