Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #301
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok, I had ammonia again this morning and my poor boy was ALL RED I made the mistake of using a flip stay dry on top of a flip organic because I did laundry late in the day and my bgs weren't dry yet. I usually don't use mf overnight. Won't make that mistake again!

I didn't want to start another new thread because it seems we have several of those a week, so I figured I'd ask the experts here

I just realized that maybe his fluid intake is partly to blame for this ammonia problem. He's in the process of (very slowly) weaning but still doesn't drink a lot of water/milk from a cup. Though I do offer it all day long.

Here's my routine again:
Quote:
I have soft water.
I use tide liquid F&G to line 2.
Warm pre-rinse, hot wash, 2 cold rinses.
I wash every other day, so that's about 8 flip stay dry inserts, 3 flip organics, 4-5 flip covers, 2 bgs, 4 hemp inserts, and maybe a couple of flour sack flats.
I have a pretty large top loader non-HE and fill max water capacity.

To my last few loads, I added 1/4 cup natures miracle to the pre-rinse and 1/4 cup borax and 1/4 cup bleach to the hot wash (in addition to Tide F&G to line 2).
So What should I add/change to my wash routine?

Should I bleach every load? I used 1/4 cup in my last 2 loads (so that was my whole stash). Do I need more than 1/4 cup because I have a TLer non HE? Should I use bleach in EVERY load? How much?

I have SOFT water. Should I use more detergent? Should I change detergent? I use Tide F&G liquid to line 2. Should I get Tide Original Liquid instead? Or something else? Not crazy about the scent but if it gets my diapers clean, I will use it. Don't think DS has sensitive skin so shouldn't be an issue. I have another detergent (I think it's A&H F&C says it's for both non-HE and HE). Should I try it? Would love it if it works because it's so much cheaper than Tide!

I used pet stain enzyme cleaner (Nature's Miracle) to my last 2 loads but I am out of it. Should I get more or get Bac-Out? How much should I use?

What about Borax or washing soda. I have both in the house. Are they for hard water or should/can I use them? How much?

I don't need to strip do I? I thought that was for detergent build-up, not ammonia. But I do have blue dawn on hand.

I dryer dry my inserts on low for about 90 minutes. (covers and pockets get line dried). Should I change to hot? Would sunning help?

What about Oxyclean. I don't have it and haven't tried it but will get it if it works! Will it help get my diapers clean and keep ammonia away? How much per load? Is there a specific kind of oxyclean to get?

I've read flats are easier to get clean. Maybe I should just use them until I get this under control! I have 10 flour sack flats and 10-12 receiving blanket flats. What can I use for naps/nights. Are there bamboo or hemp flats available?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just so frustrated!

Advertisement

Last edited by tweety612; 08-18-2012 at 08:49 AM.
tweety612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #302
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety612 View Post
Ok, I had ammonia again this morning and my poor boy was ALL RED I made the mistake of using a flip stay dry on top of a flip organic because I did laundry late in the day and my bgs weren't dry yet. I usually don't use mf overnight. Won't make that mistake again!

I didn't want to start another new thread because it seems we have several of those a week, so I figured I'd ask the experts here

I just realized that maybe his fluid intake is partly to blame for this ammonia problem. He's in the process of (very slowly) weaning but still doesn't drink a lot of water/milk from a cup. Though I do offer it all day long.

Here's my routine again:

I have soft water.
I use tide liquid F&G to line 2.
Warm pre-rinse, hot wash, 2 cold rinses.
I wash every other to every 3 days, so that's 10-15 flip inserts, 4-5 flip covers, 2 or 3 bgs, 4-6 hemp inserts, and a few flour sack flats. Trying to wash every other day.
I have a pretty large top loader non-HE and fill max water capacity.

So What should I add/change to my wash routine?
I'd change the 2 cold rinses to hot or warm quick wash, something simular. I'd try to wash smaller load s or every other day.
Should I bleach every load? I used 1/4 cup in my last 2 loads (so that was my whole stash). Do I need more than 1/4 cup because I have a TLer non HE? Should I use bleach in EVERY load? How much?
That's the amnt to use in an he. I'd go closer to 3/4 cup for that much water. Just imho. Every wash if it helps. Or every other wash.
I have SOFT water. Should I use more detergent? Should I change detergent? I use Tide F&G liquid to line 2. Should I get Tide Original Liquid instead? Or something else? Not crazy about the scent but if it gets my diapers clean, I will use it. Don't think DS has sensitive skin so shouldn't be an issue. I have another detergent (I think it's A&H F&C says it's for both non-HE and HE). Should I try it? Would love it if it works because it's so much cheaper than Tide!
With soft water, it sounds like enough detergent. Perhaps just too much in there. I adore reg liquid a&h. I hear many momas haveing trouble with any of the free's. Although I loved the all version. It's worth a shot.
I used pet stain enzyme cleaner (Nature's Miracle) to my last 2 loads but I am out of it. Should I get more or get Bac-Out? How much should I use?
Bac out is the basically the same thing. I'd go with the cheaper. Perhaps do the prewash and when they finish, let the machine fill a little and add 1/4 cup to let soak for a little while. Be sure it aggitates, like set for a small load. That way it will penitrate.
What about Borax or washing soda. I have both in the house. Are they for hard water or should/can I use them? How much?
That is a booster, not just for hard water. You could add a little borax to the detergent cycle.
I don't need to strip do I? I thought that was for detergent build-up, not ammonia. But I do have blue dawn on hand.
Dawn is also for helping break up the ammonia. Detergent buildup many times goes hand in hand with ammonia. You sometimes can just not tell. it's a good place to start. With as much trouble as you are haveing, it's deff worth a shot. Then go full on and sanitise after. Hopefully you will be starting with clean dipes and can then figure out what's going on.
I dryer dry my inserts on low for about 90 minutes. (covers and pockets get line dried). Should I change to hot? Would sunning help?
Dryer on higher temps is excelent for killing germs. It lowers the moisture levels and the heat gets high enough to help kill germs. You want really low moisture levels in the material so nothing can grow.
What about Oxyclean. I don't have it and haven't tried it but will get it if it works! Will it help get my diapers clean and keep ammonia away? How much per load? Is there a specific kind of oxyclean to get?
IMHO, it's more of a whitener and booster. I dought it's necessary with the other steps you are takeing. But, it wouldn't hurt if you did use it. Just remember to try and keep your routine as simple and stress free for you as possible.
I've read flats are easier to get clean. Maybe I should just use them until I get this under control! I have 10 flour sack flats and 10-12 receiving blanket flats. What can I use for naps/nights. Are there bamboo or hemp flats available?
Flats rock for keeping clean. They also dry fast. If you have them, go for it! There are hemp and bamboo flats. I also hear ammonia or odor issues with those fibers more though. Cotton is the safest bet, and nothing too thick. I know many have issues with mf, but I've never had trouble with it. it may be because I use tide? Or because I bleach every load? Not sure. If you like the bg's for naps/nights, go for that route. Try stuffing with pf's or flats. Now the problem with that is it's not breathable. Better enviroment to cause issues with bacteria and ammonia. Do you have any fitteds and wool? Even a pad folded pf and wool, or flat combo. Just some thoughts.
Sorry for all the questions but I am just so frustrated!
No worrie sabout the questions ok. We're here to help eachother.

I hope your lo's bum is doin ok!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:55 AM   #303
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

So I am stripping my Flip and hemp inserts in HOT water (haven't added dawn yet) and having TONS of suds...

So is this detergent buildup? Do you think I should use a different detergent? I have been using Tide F&G to line 2 and have soft water. Maybe I should switch to an HE detergent even though my washer is a top loader non-HE? What do you experts think?

If I rinse in HOT water until there are no more suds, do I still need to strip with dawn or RLR or something else?

Last edited by tweety612; 08-19-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #304
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is that with the dawn in there? Just hot water?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #305
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't bother with RLR. It's basically just washing soda.

I'd just do the dawn. I'd really consider the tub method. If that's just hot water and no dawn, you look like you do have detergent buildup. That could be the problem that started the ammonia. I'm thinking they arn't getting clean enough with so many in the machine, then not rinseing out well. Leaveing behind the detergent and urine salts. I bet if you do the strip and soak all day, then do a good sanitise, you could start working on the routine. I have soft water, but an he machine. I use .5 way to line one. Soft water needs less detergent. I think you should consider washing every other day and doing 2 loads. If you have less dipes in 2 days, you may have success with just one load?Just be sure it's not overfilled. Also, my tip would be to keep the cycles at a warmer setting. Bodily fluids and detergent are way more soluable in warmer temps. The thing that has people confused about this is protein. Like in blood. It sets with hot. It's the protains though. Urine and feces is different. Also, stains. Things may stain more in hot. Many people don't get sains with the warm though. I don't, but i use bleach. The detergent make sa big diff too. A little of a good brand goes way further than a cheaper one. In my experience, liquid will rinse cleaner for many people. Tide says it's because of the way it's formulated. Unless you just have to, you may want to avoid the f&c versions. I hear so many momas haveing trouble with them. Arm and hammer, gain, and tide are awsome detergents.
HE is more of a sudseing thing and designed to work with very little water. I don't know if it would help. Just imho.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #306
Super Mom Of 6 Girls
Registered Users
Formerly: GirlyMama81
seller

Maybe you can help me.......i made a post but am not getting any responses. So I use prefolds, have hard water with rust (hate that stuff), i have a front load bosch, i use purex free and clear, and my dd has super sensitive eczema. She has had an awful diaper rash since the end of june. We have been to the peds numerous times and it will get slightly better but not totally go away. I am thinking our prefolds need a good stripping because as soon as she pees i get an awful ammonia smell. I haven't tried the bath tub thing yet, i am thinking i will do that tomorrow. On friday, we are out of town for the weekend and i am using smaller prefolds that are new and don't need stripped right now and she seems to be getting better, anyway on friday i ran the diapers through a kid care( which is a super hot wash and hot rinse cycle) with sun oxyclean, then a second kidcare cycle with the sun, then a kidcare with a squirt of blue dawn, then a hot wash and i think this uses a cold rinse and in this load i used 1/4 cup of bleach, and finally i did a hot wash with nothing. Then through them all in the dryer, i still get a bleach smell and now they all have a slight orangy tint, thinking that is the rust in the water apparently bleach sets in rust stains. I am soo beyond frustrated right now and ready to dump cd's, i really hope you have some advice for me!
Super Mom Of 6 Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #307
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety612
So I am stripping my Flip and hemp inserts in HOT water and having TONS of suds...

So is this detergent buildup? Do you think I should use a different detergent? I have been using Tide F&G to line 2 and have soft water. Maybe I should switch to an HE detergent even though my washer is a top loader non-HE? What do you experts think?

If I rinse in HOT water until there are no more suds, do I still need to strip with dawn or RLR or something else?
We have very soft water and an older to'er too.
I use 1/4 c bleach in the hot prewash every load, but I'm ocd about germs. I let it fill up w the bleach, then add diapers. I don't use the prewash setting, I just let it run through the heavy wash cycle, let it spin out, then restart. I add Gain (powder) to the 2 or 3 line depending on how many diapers and how many poops we had. I usually only do one (cold) rinse, but if I add too much detergent I do a second rinse, just check the first rinse water.
The ammonia means the diapers still have bacteria in them. I wouldn't add borax or baking suds, they soften the water even more. I found that powder rinsed out much better than liquid in my soft water.
HTH mama!

Autocorrect has helped me type this.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #308
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

DP
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 08-19-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #309
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

TP! Gah!

Last edited by myclanof6; 08-19-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #310
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Is that with the dawn in there? Just hot water?
That is without dawn. I was afraid to add the dawn because of so many suds without. I wouldn't be able to rinse out the dawn in my washer without flooding my basement! My drywell would overflow. As it is, I did 4 rinses with nothing to get all the suds out. I did use 3/4 cup bleach and 4 hot rinses. My inserts are sparkling with no stains!!

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum

Last edited by tweety612; 08-19-2012 at 10:13 AM.