Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #311
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mom Of 6 Girls View Post
Maybe you can help me.......i made a post but am not getting any responses. So I use prefolds, have hard water with rust (hate that stuff), i have a front load bosch, i use purex free and clear, and my dd has super sensitive eczema. She has had an awful diaper rash since the end of june. We have been to the peds numerous times and it will get slightly better but not totally go away. I am thinking our prefolds need a good stripping because as soon as she pees i get an awful ammonia smell. I haven't tried the bath tub thing yet, i am thinking i will do that tomorrow. On friday, we are out of town for the weekend and i am using smaller prefolds that are new and don't need stripped right now and she seems to be getting better, anyway on friday i ran the diapers through a kid care( which is a super hot wash and hot rinse cycle) with sun oxyclean, then a second kidcare cycle with the sun, then a kidcare with a squirt of blue dawn, then a hot wash and i think this uses a cold rinse and in this load i used 1/4 cup of bleach, and finally i did a hot wash with nothing. Then through them all in the dryer, i still get a bleach smell and now they all have a slight orangy tint, thinking that is the rust in the water apparently bleach sets in rust stains. I am soo beyond frustrated right now and ready to dump cd's, i really hope you have some advice for me!
My first advice was gonna be don't use bleach. It reacts with iron in water causeing rust stains. I would deff strip. You should also go ahead and sanitise after they are striped, but with the hard water...ehhh. Maby at the laundrymat? Are you useing borax or calgon? I couldn't survive without it when we had the old house with hard water. It was seriously hard. I didn't have iron though, thank goodness. The site calgon has is loaded with great info about how a softner works. Borax is much more affordable though. It kinda lubricates the water molicules (don't know how to explain it) so the detergents cleaning power is seriously boosted and softens the water. It was critical for our success. Don't get frustrated hun. Hang in there and it will get easier. Once you find your groove, kwim. Once you get your perfect routine for you, stick with it. Try to keep it simple. How often do you wash and how much/what kind of detergent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety612 View Post
That is without dawn. I was afraid to add the dawn because of so many suds without. I wouldn't be able to rinse out the dawn in my washer without flooding my basement! My drywell would overflow. As it is, I did 4 rinses with nothing to get all the suds out. I did use 3/4 cup bleach and 4 hot rinses. My inserts are sparkling with no stains!!

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum
Good grief! If you have a hand held shower sprayer in the tub, it makes rinseing way easier with the dawn. If you saw that much suds in water with nothing, immagine what the fibers look like close up, like on a microscopic level. Totally your call, but I'd strip them. You could try them and see how they are, but normally everything needs to be striped.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #312
beansie19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome thread! I also find that air circulation and both pre and post rinsing on hot are the key steps in our cd laundry.
Mary, SAHM and DW to DH, Jay Proud parents of Emma Bean! :: 08/19/11. We had a med-free VB and are CDing , BFing, NVaxing, BFMing (baby food making~made that one up), part time ECing, sometimes BWing and ex-CSing ! Pleased to meet you!
beansie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #313
Super Mom Of 6 Girls
Registered Users
Formerly: GirlyMama81
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
My first advice was gonna be don't use bleach. It reacts with iron in water causeing rust stains. I would deff strip. You should also go ahead and sanitise after they are striped, but with the hard water...ehhh. Maby at the laundrymat? Are you useing borax or calgon? I couldn't survive without it when we had the old house with hard water. It was seriously hard. I didn't have iron though, thank goodness. The site calgon has is loaded with great info about how a softner works. Borax is much more affordable though. It kinda lubricates the water molicules (don't know how to explain it) so the detergents cleaning power is seriously boosted and softens the water. It was critical for our success. Don't get frustrated hun. Hang in there and it will get easier. Once you find your groove, kwim. Once you get your perfect routine for you, stick with it. Try to keep it simple. How often do you wash and how much/what kind of detergent?
Ok well they aren't terribly stained, it is more like an all over slightly orangy dye job! Ok how should i strip them? I actually have both the calgon and borax. I am actually going to my mom's next weekend so i can do the sanitize wash there, with bleach right? I used to make my own diaper detergent, baking soda washing soda and oxyclean free, but lately i have been lazy and using purex free and clear. I use about a quarter of the cup full and wash every two to three days. You are super awesome by the way!

Last edited by Super Mom Of 6 Girls; 08-19-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Super Mom Of 6 Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #314
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mom Of 6 Girls View Post
Ok well they aren't terribly stained, it is more like an all over slightly orangy dye job! Ok how should i strip them? I actually have both the calgon and borax. I am actually going to my mom's next weekend so i can do the sanitize wash there, with bleach right? I used to make my own diaper detergent, baking soda washing soda and oxyclean free, but lately i have been lazy and using purex free and clear. I use about a quarter of the cup full and wash every two to three days. You are super awesome by the way!
Thanks so much hun.

I'd do the tub method, on the first page I believe? I just had such excelent success with it. I hate the thought of doing it twice or haveing lingering issues. With hard water, I'd also add some calgon or borax to the strip water. You also may wanna try doing the dipes every other day. The problem with them sitting, is the urine has more time to crystalise. Be sure to use orig clorox and not scented or splashless. Those others don't sanitise like original. As for the detergent, I think the purex may work better for you than homemade without a surfactant (soap). It really needs it to wash the debris away. I have wonderfull luck with all f&c back when we had that awfull hard water. Cayden was soooooo sensitive back then.
LMK if you have any other questions I may be able to help with hun. I hope this all works out well for you and then you can tweak that routine and be rid of the trouble.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #315
ledforda
Registered Users
seller

Awesome post, thanks!
ledforda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #316
Super Mom Of 6 Girls
Registered Users
Formerly: GirlyMama81
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Thanks so much hun.

I'd do the tub method, on the first page I believe? I just had such excelent success with it. I hate the thought of doing it twice or haveing lingering issues. With hard water, I'd also add some calgon or borax to the strip water. You also may wanna try doing the dipes every other day. The problem with them sitting, is the urine has more time to crystalise. Be sure to use orig clorox and not scented or splashless. Those others don't sanitise like original. As for the detergent, I think the purex may work better for you than homemade without a surfactant (soap). It really needs it to wash the debris away. I have wonderfull luck with all f&c back when we had that awfull hard water. Cayden was soooooo sensitive back then.
LMK if you have any other questions I may be able to help with hun. I hope this all works out well for you and then you can tweak that routine and be rid of the trouble.
I will do that and let you know what happens! Thanks again for all your help! Hugs to you mama!
Super Mom Of 6 Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #317
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

back at ya!
Thanks you guys, or rather gals. Hahaha.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #318
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bumping this as there seems to be an epidemic of ammonia issues right now.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #319
Darkfyre
Registered Users

lol I was scrolling down to go hunting for this one. How do we nominate it for sticky-hood?
Darkfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #320
IndoorKitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Second the sticky.

The remodel isn't going well.
IndoorKitty is offline   Reply With Quote