Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #371
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_dna View Post
After reading your post, i researched CS and didn't find any complaints about it eating holes in clothes. I did find done reviews that thought it was just so-so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I would just wonder if the surfactants and other ingredients are safe for fabric use? They may wear the fibers down over long term use? I have no idea, but you could call the company.

actually while home on my maternity leave a year ago, I researched on and off for days on line and I had an email conversation with the company (amazon had the wrong info at the time for the ingredients so we "talked" about it). It is a very high pH- that helps it clean. Its made to clean fibers.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong, just might not be for me... just looking for other anecdotal stories.

Advertisement

c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #372
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cs or simple green?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #373
EyeDocMommy
Registered Users
seller

Sometimes it seems like you have it figured out and then bam! So we moved in October and have hard water but also have a whole house water softener. I know we have a lot of minerals in our water because even with the softener the diaper sprayer as well as the toilet get a pink mineral buildup. I was using targets pristine clean to the number 4 successfully for 6 months or so. I never get much by the way of suds in my wash cycles. Sometimes it looks murky but never after my washes. So I switched to Sun with oxy and now we have ammonia in the night time diaper and sometimes a hint of it in a daytime diaper. With this new detergent I'm using half a cup, beyond the 4 line. I don't think I have detergent build up, maybe mineral build up?? This is my wash routine.
All am diapers go though a hot wash in the am to rinse them out.
I wash every other day.
Hot pre wash without detergent
Hot wash with detergent.
Hot allergy cycle without detergent just to make sure they are rinsed clean.
Occasionally I will do a 2 hour soak in the detergent and occasionally will add Clorox ultimate care.

Last night I ran a cycle with mighty bubbles to see if that helps. Do you think I need to strip? Add some bleach? Change back to Tide? I was using tide pods successfully but the diaper pail was stinky. When I first switched to pristine clean no more diaper pail stink! Does a detergent sometimes just become less effective? Oh and I'm dealing with mostly diapers from a 13 mo old heavy wetter and a night time trainer (with flats) for my 3 year old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
EyeDocMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #374
lauraz76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PHew. I just read thru all 38 pages of this thread!! Go me!! Our ammonia stink has been creeping in since we started a coulple months ago. Because of this thread, I'm making some changes to my routine. first, I pulled out, read thru and highlighted our FL HE washer manual :-). Then I watched it fill, and was horrified at how *little* water it uses!! I went out and got Tide Original HE, AND some Dawn (as I see some tub stripping in my future...). I switched to warm pre-wash rinse cycle. Added some bleach after the washing. Dried well in washer.

The absolute worst ammonia issues for us is in our nighttime fitteds. not only does the stink knock you over, but poor DS had actual ammonia burns this morning for the first time. I cried right along with him. If needed I will track down some Kids N Pets.

I also need to change my diaper bag/pail situation. AT present, I have a Kangacare bag that hangs on the back of our bathroom door. It stinks, no pun intended. I wash every 2-3 days. I know they all need more ventilation, but I have NO idea what type of bag/pail to get to accompilsh that?? I will be searching.....
lauraz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #375
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sorry hun.

A good pail is a washable big trash can, like the kitchen kind. Bleach it out in the tub while the dipes are washing.

Hope you find a fix soon!!!!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #376
mbusd03
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraz76 View Post
PHew. I just read thru all 38 pages of this thread!! Go me!! Our ammonia stink has been creeping in since we started a coulple months ago. Because of this thread, I'm making some changes to my routine. first, I pulled out, read thru and highlighted our FL HE washer manual :-). Then I watched it fill, and was horrified at how *little* water it uses!! I went out and got Tide Original HE, AND some Dawn (as I see some tub stripping in my future...). I switched to warm pre-wash rinse cycle. Added some bleach after the washing. Dried well in washer.

The absolute worst ammonia issues for us is in our nighttime fitteds. not only does the stink knock you over, but poor DS had actual ammonia burns this morning for the first time. I cried right along with him. If needed I will track down some Kids N Pets.

I also need to change my diaper bag/pail situation. AT present, I have a Kangacare bag that hangs on the back of our bathroom door. It stinks, no pun intended. I wash every 2-3 days. I know they all need more ventilation, but I have NO idea what type of bag/pail to get to accompilsh that?? I will be searching.....
Which part of the washing cycle did you add the bleach to and how much did you use? Something else that might help is rinsing your night diapers in the morning.

For a diaper pail, we use a kitchen sized trash can(I think it's 13 gallon) with a Kissas Antibacterial pail liner. I try to keep it open as much as possible so that the air can circulate in there. I have 2 bags so that I can have one ready to go on laundry days.
mbusd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #377
linzerin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm starting to get ammonia smell in my morning diapers every so often so all 42 of my pockets are going in the tub today. I purchased almost all of them used so this is the fresh start I'm looking for

Happy Mother's Day everyone!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #378
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FX it works wonders for you hun!

Happy belated Mother's day!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #379
mquist
Registered Users

I live in the Midwest and the woman who sold us our new HE Top loader told us that the ground water is so cold that the liquid detergent doesn't work as well. Have you heard this? We went to a different store and that sales person said the same thing, so now I've been paranoid about using liquid as I'm worried it will clog up our drain and not work as efficiently. I have always used liquid in the past though and haven't had any trouble.
mquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #380
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is just my personal experience, but it's opposite for me. I cant get powder to dissolve in anything but HOT. We have lived all over and it's been the same. I did use wonder a long time ago and it was starting to really build up in my dispenser. If it does that, it should be doing the same in the pipes and septic too, right? I just get worried with it. Septic work here is much harder and costly and we don't ever even flush tp, ect. Well, we are a full time family cloth family now, but company uses it and tosses it in the can. We just can't risk it. Our water get's so cold here that we can't wash our hands in full cold. Just above freezing. I am using some homemade detergent on our cloths again and I am making it gel form. It won't even dissolve except for the sanitary cycle. Are you sure they didn't say powder wouldn't work as well? It would seam the powder would have a harder time breaking down and even rinsing? Like I said, just my experience. Can you talk to someone at the water co?