Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
Ahavati
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

I have found sunning to help as well in addition. I found the "more detergent" and bleaching once a week or so to solve ours, a while back as well.

Advertisement

Need Scentsy? www.heavenlysweetscents.com
Ahavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #32
branfam
Registered Users
seller

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but how do I know if my disperser works? I have never used it?!?!

Also, I did my prewash, then hot wash w/detergent and bleach, I am doing a second wash right now b/c there are a TON of bubbles! Not sure if it the soap or bleach. I kind of think its the soap. This is what it looks like a lot of the time. I am using dropps right now. Haven't had the chance to go to the store.

I am trying to get rid of ammonia. DD the other night woke up in the morning with a bad ammonia burn.
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #33
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you have ammonia, you really need to strip to break up the ammonia crystals/salts.
Have you tried the bath tub stomp wash with dawn? Then you would just need to wash with nothing but bleach. Are you using 1 or 2 packs of dropps? What kind of washer do you have? You will smell bleach in the wet diapers if the dispencer is working. Bleach just kills the bacteria that loves to grow in the buildup when diapers have ammonia. it won't break up the build up. You need the dawn for that. They kinda go hand in hand, the ammonia and bacteria. But not always. I just anticipate both so you get it all at one time and have a fresh start. If you normally have tons of bubbles in the final rinse, you could have detergent building up as well. The dawn will break that up as well. Can you do half of the diapers so you arn't left with nothing to use? Or sposies for a day? Or even flats while you are stripping is an option?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #34
nappymaven812
Registered Users

This is really good advice. The only thing that is different for me is that liquids haven't worked well at all for me. I use the powdered Tide ultra F&G. I tried the liquuid and it didn't do a thing for my diapers. I do a full length cycle as my 2 rinses and it helps get it all rinsed out better than having to do several short rinses, so it saves water too.
nappymaven812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #35
nappymaven812
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by branfam View Post
Sorry for all the newbie questions, but how do I know if my disperser works? I have never used it?!?!

Also, I did my prewash, then hot wash w/detergent and bleach, I am doing a second wash right now b/c there are a TON of bubbles! Not sure if it the soap or bleach. I kind of think its the soap. This is what it looks like a lot of the time. I am using dropps right now. Haven't had the chance to go to the store.

I am trying to get rid of ammonia. DD the other night woke up in the morning with a bad ammonia burn.
I used Dropps for a while. It worked better than any other natural detergents that I tried but it doesn't rinse out well enough and I would have to do way to many rinses to get it out and I don't have the time or water to waste for that. It worked very well for about a month when ammonia started coming back. I was disapointed becuse I really liked it but it just leaves to much residue behind for diapers. If I were you I would try Tide, gain or purex. Personally I use Tide Free and gentle powder and I never have ammonia anymore!

Last edited by nappymaven812; 03-22-2012 at 02:45 PM.
nappymaven812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #36
branfam
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappymaven812

I used Dropps for a while. It worked better than any other natural detergents that I tried but it doesn't rinse out well enough and I would have to do way to many rinses to get it out and I don't have the time or water to waste for that. It worked very well for about a month when ammonia started coming back. I was disapointed becuse I really liked it but it just leaves to much residue behind for diapers. If I were you I would try Tide, gain or purex. Personally I use Tide Free and gentle powder and I never have ammonia anymore!
I did get done tide I also got ecos I have got to get this figured out! Thanks do much for the help!
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #37
Mazaya
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdtimemomma View Post

My advice, try a gentler washing routine first, then bring out the big guns.
I agree with that.

I rinse then wash with warm water with Tiny Bubbles only. Over the last 4 months, I did a couple washes with hot water but that's it. No bleach, no vinegar, nothing. I hang my shells and dry my inserts at a low temperature because they have leg gusset elastics on them. I haven't had any issues so far.
Mazaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #38
Mazaya
Registered Users

What about using grape seed extract? I heard it's very effective.
Mazaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #39
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Very helpful. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #40
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have read good things about gse for disinfecting. Not so hot things about tto. It litteraly takes a whole bottle to do a load of laundry. nd who wants to deal with the smell. I have never used gse, but i have read nothing bad about it.

There is another extract for disinfecting, just can't remember it? I know i have that page saved in faves somewhere. I just have soooo much saved.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote