Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #51
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

I found the scientific answer to the vinegar and hard water question. It "can" react with some hard water minerals (the acids in the vinegar that is) and produce an odor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslfar View Post
Sorry to add more questions. Very helpful thread. I was ammonia free for the first year of DD's life but struggled with it after that and spent way too much time trying to kill it, your suggestions seem much easier.

We have very soft water, as in some of the cleanest in the nation, no flouride.

1. What about bleach if you use colored diapers? I've always been too afraid to try it. I am mostly a pocket user and my diapers are always colors. Should I just bleach the inserts and doublers?
Sounds like my water, lol. I really have to watch how much detergent I use or I will end up with an oversudsing machine or buildup from the detergent. yes I got it once. After 6 years I got buildup and compleat repelling and I was ticked. i was using my reg amnt of tide with a new fl'er and had no idea the water in the new house was soft. Becoming more soft with the more rain we get.

And no worries about the question hun. That's why we are all here, to help eachother.
Bleach will most certianly fade natural materials over time. Pockets are mostly a polyester material that will not fade. Some pockets have a cotton outer. All of my wipes, dyed pf's, and a cpl of our fitteds are faded. it doesn't bother me though. I would rather have some fade. I really don't mind. But, we don't have anything super nice. I guess if i had a $30 fitted from a great wahm, I'd be nervious. To sum it up though, only natural fibers will fade. Just be sure to never pour it directly on the diapers.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #52
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvof3boyz View Post
I can't imagine not adding more water. It uses SO LITTLE!!! I have a hose that feeds into my dispenser and I add a ton. I hope I break the awful machine. I still have to do 4 extra rinses. My diapers still smell funky when my ds pees. I use bleach every load also.
Do you have soft water to have such a problem rinsing? What detergent are you using and is it powder or liquid? I know when I have tried powder, it will NOT rinse for me. Homemade did ok, but not purchased kinds. I rescently tried it again and refused to use it on the diapers.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #53
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

We're still having issues... I did my routine to get the ammonia out, but DH (without thinking about it) put the stripped diapers in the hamper with the other (still washed, but not stripped) diapers and then dug through them to find something, so they're all mixed up and I have no way of knowing if the strip worked!! Grrr!

I just sent him to Walmart to get a pack of sposies... I'm going to dawn stop the heck out of all of them and then strip them all... I'm just so tired of the ammonia! It made us quit CDing in December and now we're finally back and so is the ammonia! Seems like nothing I do works!

When we gave up last time, I was stripping with HOT water, Dawn, Bleach (3/4 cup per load!), detergent, a baking soda/vinegar mix, etc... (different loads, ended up being 7-8 loads after the rinsing) every other DAY!!! and the ammonia was still there. My computer was down, so I didn't have DS help anymore and I couldn't stand the burns my kids were getting... I broke down and gave up... but I'm determined this time (with help from you DS mamas) not to give up and to beat this once and for all! This will be the ultimate strip, and then I'm hoping I never have to deal with ammonia again!
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #54
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry to hear that hun!

When we first bought this house we got a new machine as well, well soon after. I had no clue how soft the water was and still used the same amnt of tide. It took 2 months, but all of the sudden, you could see the urine force it's way out of the leg and flood the floor. Every dang diaper. I filled the garden tub and put in almost half a bottle of dawn. I was not doing it again! I stomped the crap out those things all day till my feet were sore. Soaked them all night. Then did 3 loads of diapers that took all day! The dipes were like new.

The only other thing i know breaks up buildup is vinegar. I soaked some really bad ffs diapers we got in the sink for a few hrs with vinegar. I don't know if I used too much or what, but it turned the pul white and then it cracked when I washed them. They got soggy kinda. I'm wondering if the pul was bad when we got them and that's what happened. I don't have much experience using vinegar because I love dawn for everything, lol. I have read SEVERAL articles on how well it breaks up even hard water minerals/buildup. I just don't know how to properly soak with it. I just never had to. When I come across anything I question or i'm not knoweledgeable about, I dig deap and research the heck out of it. Vinegar stripping will be next. Then I'll need some diapers that need stripping to practice on though, so I can be sure about any advice on how to use it, haha.

You'll get it hun. I have faith! or just send the darn things to me with a return label and I'll do it, LOL!!!

I did have some ffs terry fitteds given to us a while back. The moma couldn't get the ammonia out so I pulled out the big guns and did every kind of soak known to man. They are like new. Beautifull diapers! And work great.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #55
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Yeah, DS woke up this morning and immediately just started saying 'ouch! ow! ow! OW!" and grabbing his crotch... I took the diaper off immediately and literally had to close my eyes because they started to STING from the ammonia!!! REALLY?! Why are the workhorses the WORST for ammonia when they're BRAND NEW?! I mean I did prep them with our other diapers, so I can see maybe a little transfer, but for them to be WORSE than our other diapers?! It's soooo confusing!!

Off to wash the dirties in the washer and then the whole stash is going straight to the tub!
Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #56
branfam
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
We're still having issues... I did my routine to get the ammonia out, but DH (without thinking about it) put the stripped diapers in the hamper with the other (still washed, but not stripped) diapers and then dug through them to find something, so they're all mixed up and I have no way of knowing if the strip worked!! Grrr!

I just sent him to Walmart to get a pack of sposies... I'm going to dawn stop the heck out of all of them and then strip them all... I'm just so tired of the ammonia! It made us quit CDing in December and now we're finally back and so is the ammonia! Seems like nothing I do works!

When we gave up last time, I was stripping with HOT water, Dawn, Bleach (3/4 cup per load!), detergent, a baking soda/vinegar mix, etc... (different loads, ended up being 7-8 loads after the rinsing) every other DAY!!! and the ammonia was still there. My computer was down, so I didn't have DS help anymore and I couldn't stand the burns my kids were getting... I broke down and gave up... but I'm determined this time (with help from you DS mamas) not to give up and to beat this once and for all! This will be the ultimate strip, and then I'm hoping I never have to deal with ammonia again!
OMG! This sounds just like us!! We ran out of pull ups the other day so I HAD to put her in cloth and it gave her the WORSE burn EVER! I am SO frustrated! I am determined to get this fixed! I can't keep dealing with this!

So, yesterday was wash day. I did a bleach and detergent wash and I am STILL rinsing! I have done some many rinses its not even funny! (I am pretty sure that they are soap bubbles and not just agitation bubbles) But, I did get all the rest of my diapers and put them in my tub with some dawn. I am not sure if I used enough?!?! I stomped a little and scrubbed a little with my hands. I had to take them out b/c I needed the shower but since I am still rinsing I have to wait until they are done before I can put them in the washer. But once they are in a plan to do a bleach wash and some rinses. Hopefully that will put me at ground zero. I just can't keep dealing with the ammonia.

I did get some tide and ecos detergent to try out and see. Hopefully, this works.

One question, what would you call a full load? She is in the process of PL so we really don't have that many diapers in a day maybe 3-4 a day (including her night one). So, how much water and soap should I use? Since really once wash day comes I only have about 6-10 diapers in there?

Thanks again for all of your help!!

Last edited by branfam; 03-23-2012 at 02:02 PM.
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #57
kyanly
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
I don't. I try to keep my routine simple.
Oh, my repairman told me to not add water because the weight is measured when the cycle starts and I would have trouble with causing it to be unbalanced. If you feel you need more water, you could add a wet towel. Some momas ever add a wet towel then do a rinse to get everything soaked and no spin. It'll read a heavier load.

I only recomend stripping when you have problems. Did you smell it before you switched? If not, I would switch back. If yes, the detergent could either be makeing the problem worse or pushing the buildup out. I don't really like the idea of stripping in a fl becaus eit can cause so many problems. I put a teney bit of dawn in my fl'er once and over suds the thing. It can also burn up the pump and void a warrenty. I know of some momas on here that do though. I suppose it just depends on the machine.
I'd just try the tub method then toss them in the machine for the bleach and rinsing. It sounds like you have more of a bacteria issue though, not so much buildup. Have you disinfected them yet? You may just need a cpl washes with bleach and to tweak the wash routine some. Are you using plenty of detergent? I would think the tide would do a stronger job at cleaning than a gentler detergent. If you have hard water, I highly recomend using a softner with the detergent. The monerals in the hard water mess with the surface tension and don't allow the detergents to do an optimal job. Think of a softner as a booster and a lubricant for the detergent. It'll help the minerals not redeposit on the fibers. It won't remove the buildup that is already there though. just prevents it from getting worse. If you have iron hard water, be weary of the bleach. Some momas will get rust stains from the heavy iron in the water reacting with the bleach. Do you get that problem with your whites? Hard water typically needs more detergent too, unless it's not so hard that a softner added gives you a good lather and good results. I didn't have the money for calgon the whole time we had hard water, so we use borax with excelent results.
Ahh!! I've been wondering on these BG Elementals Gently used i bought at their last sale has some orangey rust looking stains! Quite a few of them have it since i do use bleach in my washing routine. is that why?? Is there any way to remove it? I don't know how i would strip the diapers? I'm gonna go back to my Tide Ultra Powder and then try the Tide Original Liquid next (:
kyanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #58
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by branfam View Post
OMG! This sounds just like us!! We ran out of pull ups the other day so I HAD to put her in cloth and it gave her the WORSE burn EVER! I am SO frustrated! I am determined to get this fixed! I can't keep dealing with this!

So, yesterday was wash day. I did a bleach and detergent wash and I am STILL rinsing! I have done some many rinses its not even funny! (I am pretty sure that they are soap bubbles and not just agitation bubbles) But, I did get all the rest of my diapers and put them in my tub with some dawn. I am not sure if I used enough?!?! I stomped a little and scrubbed a little with my hands. I had to take them out b/c I needed the shower but since I am still rinsing I have to wait until they are done before I can put them in the washer. But once they are in a plan to do a bleach wash and some rinses. Hopefully that will put me at ground zero. I just can't keep dealing with the ammonia.

I did get some tide and ecos detergent to try out and see. Hopefully, this works.

One question, what would you call a full load? She is in the process of PL so we really don't have that many diapers in a day maybe 3-4 a day (including her night one). So, how much water and soap should I use? Since really once wash day comes I only have about 6-10 diapers in there?

Glad I'm not alone! But sorry you have to go through this too!

My tub is full of diapers and inserts and wipes and basically everything but PUL only covers, plus a bunch of HOT water (wow! The difference a little tweak to the HWH can make! LOL) and Dawn... I'm waiting for it to cool a bit so I can stomp them out...
Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #59
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Yeah, DS woke up this morning and immediately just started saying 'ouch! ow! ow! OW!" and grabbing his crotch... I took the diaper off immediately and literally had to close my eyes because they started to STING from the ammonia!!! REALLY?! Why are the workhorses the WORST for ammonia when they're BRAND NEW?! I mean I did prep them with our other diapers, so I can see maybe a little transfer, but for them to be WORSE than our other diapers?! It's soooo confusing!!

Off to wash the dirties in the washer and then the whole stash is going straight to the tub!
OMGosh! That's pittyfull! Are those thick? Like multiple layers? What the heck is the deal? You poor thing, lo too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by branfam View Post

Good grief. Diaper laundry should NOT be this hard! Whay do somemomas have the hardest time while others never have an issue? I don't get how. Are these diapers super thick? I have never seen any of the nice fluff. I know that sounds dumb.

On the load size thing. it doesn't sound like enough diapers to get grinding against each other. I know you didn't wanna hear that. Something elese to worry about. Can you wash your whites every other day with the diapers? That would really give them a better scrubbing going on in the drum, kwim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyanly View Post
Ahh!! I've been wondering on these BG Elementals Gently used i bought at their last sale has some orangey rust looking stains! Quite a few of them have it since i do use bleach in my washing routine. is that why?? Is there any way to remove it? I don't know how i would strip the diapers? I'm gonna go back to my Tide Ultra Powder and then try the Tide Original Liquid next (:
Did they come with the spots? The previous owner could have had iron in their water and bleached. If you have iron hard water, it could be it too. I know this is ot a bit, but if you use bleach on most metal, it'll start to rust. Even new. They just react that way.
Ther isn't much you can do about it. I have a kissa2 that has a spot on the front. I have had that diaper for about 6 yrs now and it hasn't gone away. it doesn't bother me. I wouldn't suggest any rust remover because it could eat away at the fibers, even spot cleaning. And it prob wouldn't do anything.

I hope you have good results with the tide moma.
Quote:
Glad I'm not alone! But sorry you have to go through this too!

My tub is full of diapers and inserts and wipes and basically everything but PUL only covers, plus a bunch of HOT water (wow! The difference a little tweak to the HWH can make! LOL) and Dawn... I'm waiting for it to cool a bit so I can stomp them out...
Bless both of your hearts, really! Big huggs to both of you!!!! You can solve it though, somehow, you can do it.

If those really nice expensive diapers that were given to me on ffs could be stripped to like new condition, I have faith yours can too! The moma that had them said she had had it and couldn't take it any longer with these things!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #60
nmcveigh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Don't know if this is the right thread. I am having issues with my diapers smelling like wet dog after they come out of the wash. If I hang them out to dry, they seem to be a bit better. But now it's pollen season so I don't want them getting a yellow film! I put the inserts in the dryer and hang the pockets over the chairs in the dining room. How do I get the smell out? Oh, I do a cold water quick wash first to rinse them. Then, I use Charlie's soap with some drops of tea tree oil and a scoop of oxi brite, if that helps any of you detectives! Thanks!
nmcveigh is offline   Reply With Quote