Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #61
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Re: For the momas with buildup/stink/ammonia/new 2 CD momas/or washing trouble.

They're just prefolds with snaps and elastic added to make them a fitted, they have an extra layer to replace what is cut out to make them shaped, but it's only attached in the back, so it flops freely in the wash. Shouldn't be any different than a prefold for washing really... here's what they look like: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/workhorse.htm

I have 4 of those, umpteen econobums (so just prefolds) a few flats, and some cotton/hemp doublers/inserts... I got rid of all of my microfiber and anything too thick, no AIOs or anything... should be easy to wash! LOL

I just found this in another thread, thought I would share it here... I'm desperate enough to try it!! I was actually wondering this very thing when I was filling the tub, and then stumbled across the other thread and couldn't believe it! LOL

http://www.clothdiapergeek.com/2012/...magic.html?m=1

Advertisement

MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #62
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcveigh View Post
Don't know if this is the right thread. I am having issues with my diapers smelling like wet dog after they come out of the wash. If I hang them out to dry, they seem to be a bit better. But now it's pollen season so I don't want them getting a yellow film! I put the inserts in the dryer and hang the pockets over the chairs in the dining room. How do I get the smell out? Oh, I do a cold water quick wash first to rinse them. Then, I use Charlie's soap with some drops of tea tree oil and a scoop of oxi brite, if that helps any of you detectives! Thanks!
It sounds like not enough detergent or the detergent isn't working for you. Have you tried increasing the amnt you use yet? How much are you using? Are you doing a hot wash?
Oh, how's your water, hard or soft, or just normal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaCrunch View Post
They're just prefolds with snaps and elastic added to make them a fitted, they have an extra layer to replace what is cut out to make them shaped, but it's only attached in the back, so it flops freely in the wash. Shouldn't be any different than a prefold for washing really... here's what they look like: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/workhorse.htm

I have 4 of those, umpteen econobums (so just prefolds) a few flats, and some cotton/hemp doublers/inserts... I got rid of all of my microfiber and anything too thick, no AIOs or anything... should be easy to wash! LOL

I just found this in another thread, thought I would share it here... I'm desperate enough to try it!! I was actually wondering this very thing when I was filling the tub, and then stumbled across the other thread and couldn't believe it! LOL

http://www.clothdiapergeek.com/2012/...magic.html?m=1
Those are really nice diapers. And you have a great sounding stash for washing ease. What the heck.

I have actually read about the fish tank stuff before. I can't remember what it said though. That was a long time ago.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #63
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Link to the thread I just posted with some good to know facts about vinegar and borax:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1371360
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #64
MamaCrunch
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Those are really nice diapers. And you have a great sounding stash for washing ease. What the heck.

I have actually read about the fish tank stuff before. I can't remember what it said though. That was a long time ago.
LOL At least I'm not the only one confused by it! :P

I've been kinda obsessed with reading about people who have used the aquarium ammonia remover on diapers and it gets REALLY good reviews... I sent DH out last night to get some, but the pet stores were closed and Walmart didn't have any... blah... I did an overnight soak in my tub rinse (didn't mean to, I fell asleep! LOL) and this morning I rinsed and then washed them in the washer with detergent and a couple scoops of oxy... trying to decide if I want to just go get some ammonia remover, or try a load with TTO and see if all this worked without the ammonia remover... We DO need fish food though, so I'm thinking we should just head to the petstore, I would be SOOOOO frustrated if the ammonia isn't gone after all of this! LOL So I kinda just want to go for the ammonia remover...

hummm...
MamaCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #65
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you bleach them or decide not to? Have you tried one yet for a peepee test? I really hope it helped. You have tried sooo much. I wanna reach through the screan and give ya a big hug. I know this has got to stink, literally. You poor moma! I can't understand what keeps causing it for you though. If I remember correctly (I troubleshoot with so many momas) you have a good sounding routine.
Errr.

If it fails, I really wonder about the fish stuff?

Hey, have you stied the enzyme cleaner sold at walmart called pets and kids? That stuff rocks! I use it when we have a stomach bug in the house. On the diapers and the vomit and poo messes on the floor! I also dribble it in the bottom of our family cloth bins because of the moisture buildup and odor we get in them. They have to tight of a seal. I get 0 smell in them now!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #66
jessnye
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I like that you include Dawn; it's the only thing that gets the poop smell out of my son's pooped-in diapers. I thought for the longest time it was bacteria but even super hot water and bleach didn't end it so I realized it was something about the composition of his poop (fats or acids, or something) that was causing that smell that wouldn't be washed out. I finallyn used Dawn right in the wash (NOT recommended for front loaders- I have an OLD top-loader) thinking it might cut the fats that might be hanging around, and it worked great. Better than powder or liquid Tide, Whisk Deep Clean, or Country Save. Now I routinely wash his poopy trainers in Dawn if the smell doesn't come out in one wash, that way they only get washed twice instead of 4-5 times to get the smell out.
jessnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #67
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad you were able to figure out what worked for him. It's so sad for some momas they have to go through so much troubleshooting to figure out what will work. We all have unique needs when it comes to washing. It's not as simple as using another momas routine. Like all of the how to wash diapers the manufacturers post and use as guidelines for thei warrenty. That really upsets we becaus ea new to cd's moma will follow their directions and have compleat wash failure and either be miserable with leacky and smelly diapers with rashes or give up. We all have to take into the many factors we each have going on to get the perfect for us routine to have success, NOT THE CD "FRIENDLY" DIRECTIONS!

I firmly believe in just do what works for you. And some momas it'll come easy and some have a misserable time. But, I believe we can all find wash routine nirvana, lol.
The huge list of considerations and factors in my op all have to be looked into to figure out cause and prevention.

I'm happy to hear a moma say she has a working wash routine! I'm tickeled for you. t took me around 6 months to figure out i knew how to do laundry/do what worked for us/and ignore all the special handeling crap. That's what it is, crap. I don't get how cb published the findings of their hired chemist that said enzymes DO NOT harm diapers, yet they still have the clause in their warrenty with a list of the special detergents. Yet I can't find any link to the findings again.

If anyone has the link, please share it. I may post a thread about it. Asking where it is. It should be shared. it was a great paper. I enjoy reading the published results of testing like his.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #68
branfam
Registered Users
seller

Could I just use less water and less detergent?

When I finally finished rinsing my MF still had a smell!! So I put them back in with the other load. My AIO's and natural fibers smell fine do I dried them. After drying my hemp and stuff have a small hint of something... So I might bleach them again?!?!
branfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #69
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It could be worth a shot? If nothing elese has worked, kwim. Did you use the tide you bought? How much bleach? I know hemp can be tricky and tends to have a smell. They would prob do better with a towel or two. I understand if you don't feel comfy washing those together though. I can't believe the strip didn't work, did they soak long enough?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #70
gemgirlred
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Where do you find the pets and kids cleaner at Walmart?
gemgirlred is offline   Reply With Quote