Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattayanna_mom
When K was 15 almost 16 getting close to the single/car dating age I'd let her go to her date/boyfriend's house but I'd also talk to his parent/s and make sure they would be there and that the teens would be supervised.
At almost 17 when K has her boyfriend over she is allowed in her room with her door shut her room is next to the living room,my recliner next to her wall. I trust my daughter to trust in herself,to make choices right for her,so far she is not sexually active but is on BC she also knows BC is not enough. Right now she has no interest in having sex and has no problem saying so to any of the few boys she has dated.
The only thing i would like to say about this is that when my dd1 was 16 she was kind of seeing a boy but they had not gone out on a date. Her father (we are divorced) let said boy over and allowed them in dds room alone. Nothing happened but when she decided she no longer liked the boy he spread rumors that they had sex that day in her room. She had told people that yes they were in the room alone so it turned out REALLY bad because it was a he said/she said. It hurt my daughter a lot emotionally and when we discussed it. (My dh and i do not allow any friends of opposite sex in their bedrooms ever. Not even once they are dating.) She agreed that the decision to allow this boy in such a private area of our house gave him the ability to say aweful things. I think.boys can say that about anywhere but i think it was worse because it was her bedroom.

My kids are not allowed at the other parties house unless i know the adults very very well until they can single date.

It's so hard to make the right decisions as parents of teens. I had a friend who ended up pregnant at 16 because she would lie and sneak around because her parents were so strict but i also know parents who dont even care if their kids boy /girlfriend spend the night in their room as young as 15. I am like huh? Really?

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #22
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Moms of teens: what are your dating rules?

No children dating here. We have a "date to mate" philosophy, so that will happen when they are over 18 and have befriended someone that they are interested in courting. Very few parents think their own teens are having sex. Even those that think they have a very open relationship and would know are usually clueless about what is really going on. It's been a looong time since I've been a teen, but I do remember that and I doubt it's changed much.