Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can I just bang my head several times??

Out of my friends I'm the "carseat nut", a title I am very proud to wear. Sadly, I wish I really were, we turned DS at 2 years old and I'm not happy about it. That will NOT be happening with this new baby and I did tell DF that he better not be thinking booster seats until well into Kindergarten or even later. Anyways!

I went out with a couple of my friends the other night and they started talking about moving their kids to boosters or those who already were in them. Complaining that one wasn't old enough. None of these kids were older than 4.5. Now maybe these kids sit perfectly in the car and pass the 5 point test with flying colors but 3.5-4.5 just seems WAY too young to me.

I know they know the benefits of ERF, and while they may not do it, they at least follow the law and don't say anything otherwise in front of me. But I guess after you flip them forward safety doesn't seem to matter anymore. In here, what's the average booster start age? Am I way off?

Rant over.

Advertisement

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #2
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Can I just bang my head several times??

Unfortunately most of my nieces and nephews were in boosters by 4.
In the drop off line for dd's Kindergarten I never see her classmates in car seats. DD just turned 6 and is 5pt harnessed and will be for a while I'm thinking. She was only turned ff at 4 too.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Around here, most move to a booster around 3/3.5. Not me and my house, but many I see at preschool for DFS (3) are already in boosters. My good friend, who RF'd til 2 already has her newly 4 year old in a NBB.

I can only offer information. At the end of the day, I don't want people telling me how to parent my child, and they feel the same way.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Around here, most move to a booster around 3/3.5. Not me and my house, but many I see at preschool for DFS (3) are already in boosters. My good friend, who RF'd til 2 already has her newly 4 year old in a NBB.

I can only offer information. At the end of the day, I don't want people telling me how to parent my child, and they feel the same way.
I agree. I kept my mouth shut during this, they are all intelligent women and have the right to parent their children how they wish, and as long as what they are doing is legal, its not my business.

But at least I can come here and cry about how it breaks my heart and someone understands!

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

My dd just turned 7 and is still in a regent. She's getting self conscious about being in a baby seat and wants to sit in the seatbelt so I'm going to switch out the regent with the spare nautilus in high back booster mode.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
KatrinaLoves
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just got on Facebook today and one of my best friends (eh, not as much the last couple years; we've drifted) had a picture of her 3 kids in the back seat.

DD1 - JUST turned 3. Booster.
DD2 - JUST turned 2. Nauti... straps way too low and loose.
DS1 - 11.5 months, FFing with straps WAY too high high (at top of his ears) and loose.

It took everything in me to keep my mouth shut and just leave her page. She's never been one to listen to reason, and I hate people telling me how to parent, so I bit my tongue and moved on.

When it's a stranger... I honestly don't care. I should, but I don't.
When it's my BEST FRIEND from high school and college, and I've had carseat conversations with her and she knows... oi.
I feel your pain, mama.
KatrinaLoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

I don't know when the average is, but DD1 will be about 6 when she's moved into a booster full time. She's on her last slot in a Nautilus. She does have a booster in my Moms car (has for about 6 months?) but is rarely with my Mom. I was reading the booster manual this weekend and it kills me that a 3 year 30 pound kid can use it. DD2 is that and WAYYYYYY to little for a booster. And DD1 can use it backless, she's barely over 40 lbs (granted she's also 48 inches tall and over 5.5 years) but she won't use it backless until she outgrows it that way.
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Around here, normal seems to be about 3, MAYBE 4 if they've been to a local carseat check. 3.5yo DD is in a pre-k class with 4 and a few 5 year olds, other than her, there are only two other kids that are harnessed and they are TINY girls, one is about 23 lbs and one I think her grandma said is 27? All of the other kids are in backless boosters or no seatbelt at all, I see lots of them in the front seat of the car, and one of the little girls has been on the back of her dad's motorcycle lately while its been warm, sunglasses but no helmet

I've known the 23 lb harnessed kiddo since she was a baby, she's been FF'ing since she was about 10 months and 15lbs, and I've seen her mom put her in a booster or just a plain seatbelt on more than one occasion to avoid fighting with her when leaving pre-k...but they *do* have a harnessed seat for her...straps waaaay above her shoulders, seat not installed correctly.

My kids...6yo DS rides in a highback booster in his dad's car, a no-back booster in my sister's car (only on rides uptown, less than five minutes from home, so no falling asleep or anything like that), but he's harnessed in a Nautilus in my car. 3.5yo DD (4 in June) rides in a highback booster in dad's truck or my sister's car, only on short rides uptown...we're basically starting to booster train her. She'll be harnessed in my car for quite a while from now, harnessed in dad's truck on rides out of town for at least another year.

Last edited by smashncakes; 04-15-2012 at 09:17 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Uggghhh. It would DEFINITELY frustrate me.

I had to buy a booster for DD's 4 year old class field trip for school. We didn't even own one. They refused to let us use harnessed seats, and I couldn't drive her. Her teacher looked at me like I was nuts when I told her we didn't own a booster. Most of the other kids' seats were already disgusting. At least they were only driving about 60 seconds from the school. They could have walked except that there is an interstate in between. She was the only kid there in a HBB.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 04-15-2012 at 09:28 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just moved my ODS into a booster and he is 5.5yo. One of my friends from high school just posted a video of her 2.5yo son in a backless booster on FB. At one point in the video the belt was actually over his cheek!!! I had to say something to her in a private message. I was really concerned about his safety and they travel a LOT so he is in the car quite a bit. I doubt she will change anything though since she has told others that she switched him to a booster because she "didn't want to deal with a carseat anymore".