Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: A few questions-probably pretty stupid to boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky View Post
My first one would fall asleep while eating. The pediatrician told us to wake her up by taking her clothes off but leaving a diaper on when nursing. She did have jaundice. Does he had any yellowing in the whites of his eyes?
Our last one, cried all the time ever since he came out. The one nurse didn't even want to take him to give me a break in the hospital. He nursed every half hour at times. That lasted for months. I have not had a baby that slept a lot. I guess every baby's different. My friend's baby was born the same day as ours and all it did was sleep.
What's really important is if the baby is gaining enough weight and has enough wet diapers. If you don't have a baby scales, maybe you could take him in to the nurse to have him weighed? It sure put our mind at ease when we did that.
weight checks with a nurse are usually free... we go every 2 weeks....

Advertisement

lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
luvof3boyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would say for a 10 day old that is too long. If she is just too sleepy then try again in 1/2 hour. Good luck tomorrow mama.
luvof3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

I think any good IBCLC would say that a baby can get too exhausted to nurse enough and can get into a downward spiral of less milk = less energy to nurse = more sleepy = less nursing = less milk, etc...

I would make sure you are keeping track of 3 things:

1. baby is nursing at least 8-12 times. 8 times is a bare minimum and probably not enough for a young infant.

2. baby is gaining weight. check kellymom.com for info on how much baby should be gaining per day/week. (These are guidelines)

3. baby is having enough wet and dirty diapers. 6 wet diapers is a minimum per day and 3-4 dirty diapers is the typical standard for a newborn. After the first 2 months, babies may not poop as often, but in the beginning 3-4 or more per day is very normal and expected.

HTH! Best wishes!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
queamore112
Registered Users

Yea you may end up having to nurse more frequently when she is awake but it just sounds like little one is perfectly normal and sleeping as much as she can for the time being.
queamore112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #15
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Annora must be close to the same age... she is 10 days old today.

She sleeps quite a bit sometimes, too. But I wake her for feedings. I'm usually able to do this by changing her diaper, since they seem to be wet every 3 hours. The wet/poopy diapers are a really good indicator of if the baby is getting a good supply of milk. The first 6 days, she barely had any peed/pooped diapers. I only had to change her like 3-4 times per day, so my DR made my supplement with formula.

I totally gave that up about 4-5 days ago, because she was getting nipple confusion and just wanted a bottle instead of nursing. Now she is a star nurser, and I'm going through many more diapers (about 6-10 per day). I feel engorged and start leaking almost every hour or every 2 hours. So every 2 hours during the day I feed her. And at night, I go about 3-4 hours. Now that she knows the routine, she wakes at those intervals. At night, though, I mentally wake up every 2-4 hours and will wake her up to feed her, or just check her diaper and see if she will eat.

I would just keep checking to see if the baby wants to eat. And if the tongue tie is what is causing her to fall asleep at the breast, just continue the bottles after, and make sure he is getting them and the short nursing sessions more often.

I notice a complete difference in DD when she eats more often. She wakes up more alert, is happier between feedings and when she dozes off, and doesn't wake to a hunger cry, she just grunts when she wakes up and I feed her right away.

I would definitely say try to feed more often, and make sure you are having lots of wet diapers. DD had jaundice and it took us a while to beat it because she just wasn't getting enough milk from me, and I had no idea until they had me do the dirty/wet diaper count. Now when she pees, she is a super soaker!
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.

Last edited by MyKzooFamily; 03-23-2012 at 07:38 AM.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
blackberry75
Registered Users

Ok, well I feel better knowing everything is normal. The check up went well, she's 50% for weight and 95% for height according to the charts. The doctor is pleased w/ her weight gain after what she lost while in the hospital for the jaundice and getting light therapy. She's 7lb 14oz and she was born 7lb 13oz. The doc still isn't happy w/ her color, but her bilirubin count is still going down so we can stay home.

I do have another question though. On top of getting expressed milk after nursing, the doc also wants me to give her 2 2oz bottles of water a day to help flush her system. That seems like a lot of fluid to me for such a little baby. Will the water affect her ability to absorb nutrients from the BM?
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry75 View Post
Ok, well I feel better knowing everything is normal. The check up went well, she's 50% for weight and 95% for height according to the charts. The doctor is pleased w/ her weight gain after what she lost while in the hospital for the jaundice and getting light therapy. She's 7lb 14oz and she was born 7lb 13oz. The doc still isn't happy w/ her color, but her bilirubin count is still going down so we can stay home.

I do have another question though. On top of getting expressed milk after nursing, the doc also wants me to give her 2 2oz bottles of water a day to help flush her system. That seems like a lot of fluid to me for such a little baby. Will the water affect her ability to absorb nutrients from the BM?
Can't answer this, but they want you to give her WATER?! That sound weird to me. My DR wanted us to give DD formula, and said to never give her water. He said at this stage they really need nutrients from every single feeding since they are so small and don't eat that often. But if she wasn't having as many wet diapers, to add a tad bit more water to the formula, but NOT to do this after her jaundice was gone. The big push was just to get more fluids completely through her to get rid of the jaundice.

Never heard of this before!! But I guess maybe other mamas have done this?
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #18
blackberry75
Registered Users

It sounded strange to me too, but what the heck do I know. I'd be more ok w/ formula than just water, since it at least has calories and nutrients in it. I called my LC to see if she can get me in today to discuss it, I'd feel better getting advice from someone who knows more about BF and the nursing relationship. Another concern I have is how many bottles she gets, adding two more makes me worry she's going prefer bottles to breast-and we're already having enough problems at the breast.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
LilyOlivesMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldnt give water, it seems it'd fill her up. Can you wear her to encourage more nursing? Will they clip the TT soon?
LilyOlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Connor
Registered Users
seller

A breastfed baby does NOT need water. Just nurse!