Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #21
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: A few questions-probably pretty stupid to boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyOlivesMom View Post
I wouldnt give water, it seems it'd fill her up. Can you wear her to encourage more nursing? Will they clip the TT soon?
I'm waiting on a call back from a local pediatric dentist, so hopefully it will be done soon. My supply is def. going down. She's just not nursing while at the breast; she'll latch on for comfort, but no suckling unless I squeeze some milk into her mouth. I was hoping that just having her at the breast would encourage her to eat more, but she's not. Also hoped it would encourage milk production, but I'm getting less and less each time I pump. It's gone from almost 4oz each time to around 2oz.

I need to make a sling because all I have now is an Asian style carrier and she doesn't fit in it well yet. We're doing a lot of skin to skin, so I spend a lot of time just sitting around topless with her. She's stopped rooting when she gets hungry; really wishing the LC would have returned my call today. I'm not sure what else I can do to encourage her to actually nurse. I've tried starting her on a bottle then switching to the breast, but she just wants the stupid bottle and cries. Last time I talked to the LC she said she'd work on getting an SNS for me, but I haven't heard anything from her in a couple days and I'm getting frustrated. She won't be in again until Monday, and that feels like a long time right now. I'm afraid by the time the weekend is over my supply will be completely gone and I'm running out of expressed milk really quickly.

Advertisement

blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #22
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Can you hand express for 10-15 after pumping? It's been shown to be effective. You won't get much volume, but it should help your supply come back up. Eat lots of oats, drink lots of water, and maybe some fenugreek and blessed thistle. Also, I would highly recommend using a cup, syringe, dropper, or spoon to feed her (as well as nursing) until you get the tt clipped.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
LilyOlivesMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck, Keep pumping if you can. I know it's a lot of work. And yes to the oats and H2O. We took DS to an ENT to check for TT.
LilyOlivesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #24
porky
Registered
seller

My first lo had jaundice. The pediatrician wanted me to nurse her often. But she kept falling asleep and not wanting to nurse. Even with cool washcloth, changing diaper, etc. So, I pumped. I didn't get much at first and I had to supplement with formula. The problem was she ended up wanting the bottle instead. I wish I would have used the drip system tube thing that you can put beside your nipple when baby nurses. I actually ended up having lots of milk but had to pump after each feeding and if I gave her a bottle I pumped at that feeding. Eventually she latched on again at about 6 weeks. I didn't wean her till she was three.
Have you tried a syringe? The tube drip thing (have no idea what it's called lol) I think they sell at the hospital.
porky is offline   Reply With Quote