Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

Adding dairy back in

My daughter is almost exactly 2 months old. About 3 weeks ago I went completely dairy free because my daughter has colic and reflux and was just a screaming, crying mess. It took about a week but I saw a huge difference. She still cried between 4 and 7pm but overall was better. Last night at my husbands nudging I tried to add a little dairy back in to see how she would react. I had a quesadilla with a medium amount of cheese in it and a small decaf coffee with cream. She ha been super fussy today- could the dairy have affected her that quickly or is it just chance that shes so fussy?

Advertisement

yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
kwaii_amaranth
Registered Users
seller

Re: Adding dairy back in

I can give you my own anecdotal experience. I also cut out dairy right about the time my DD was 6 weeks old due to similar issues, and after a week we saw a huge difference. The dairy in my diet was definately causing her problems. After 6 weeks mostly dairy free, I caved. I wanted pizza so badly and DH wanted me to try dairy again (and was beginning to doubt my theory, lol.)

So I had two pieces of pizza, and the next morning DD began throwing up. A lot. For three days she projectile vomited large amounts of each feed while she cried. I felt aweful, but also vindicated as I knew for sure I was not a crazy mom making things up. It was pretty clear she could not tolerate any substantial amount of dairy in my diet. And for my LO, the effect was very clear, and only took a day.

Based on my own experience, I would say it is entirely possible that the dairy you had the night before affected your baby the next day. I think it just depends on how sensitive the baby is. After all, we digest pretty fast, and I imagine it wouldn't take too long for the proteins to hit our bloodstream, and be passed on through breastmilk.

On a side note, my girl just turned six months - and she has been tolerating small amounts of dairy for a few weeks now (a litte cheese here and there.) I even had a DQ blizzard two days ago, and nothing! You will get there too. You are a good mama for trying, I know how hard it is. Just trust your intincts, I promise that the time dairy free will seem to have flown by once you are done!
kwaii_amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Br2me
Registered Users
seller
seller

it really could have effected her already...i could tell a huge difference right after eating something...

you might need to stay dairy free or at the very least be very careful to only eat very small amounts every few days....
Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
MamaJax2010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I can tell with in a few hours. We have been dairy free for a year now. I would try adding dairy back in untill at least 9 months.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
amy_rn
Registered Users
seller

I am also dairy free and haven't tried adding any back in yet. I'm too nervous! But I would seriously kill for some cheese and or ice cream right now. The milk/yogurt doesn't bother me as much!
amy_rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

another dairy free mama here dairy causes yds super stinky painful gas and he spits up significantly more i have had the hardest time with it because i'm a dairy addict i try a little something here and there every few weeks and in the past it has affected him within hours. he's 5 months now and i just tried a small bowl of yogurt this morning, and i'm really hoping he'll tolerate it ok because it was super yummy the worst thing is that if it does affect them, it can take a few days to a week for it to work it's way completely from their system i'm hoping once he starts solids i'll be able to add small amounts back into my diet without repercussion

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
kwaii_amaranth
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeth05 View Post
another dairy free mama here ... i have had the hardest time with it because i'm a dairy addict
Dairy addict...

I totally hear you, I am a dairy free mommy in the "Cheesehead" state.
kwaii_amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaii_amaranth

Dairy addict...

I totally hear you, I am a dairy free mommy in the "Cheesehead" state.
Haha, same here. : gah:

DD starts getting spitty within 6 hours of me eating dairy. Yes, it can definitely happen that fast.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yup, it definitely happens that quickly. Both my little ones have been super sensitive to any amount of diary as well as sensitive to moderate amounts of soy. I know it stinks but if she is showing sensitivity it's probably something she won't outgrow until closer to 1 or after

And, trust your instincts, some (at least in my experience) peds are not at all understanding or knowledgeable in sensitives/intolerances to foods