Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
Reddmuse
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 14 month old, having night terrors.

My #3 DD had night terrors for years. Yours sounds more like recurrent nightmares more than NT. With true night terrors the child never wakes up and trying to wake them does no good. I believe the doctor told me that they are so deep in REM that no external stimuli gets though. If you are able to wake him and sooth him, I think you are safe. My poor DD would scream and thrash for several minutes at a time, then lay back down as if nothing happened, sleeping peacefully. Thank goodness they have absolutely no memories of having NT episodes. So, as disturbing as it is for us parents, they just grow out of it and remember nothing!

Advertisement

Reddmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #12
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

If it continues it might be worth it to trial no cow's milk. My SIL's baby did this beginning about 9 months, would just wake up screaming in the middle of the night. Finally at 18 months she took her off cow's milk and that was the end of it.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

The repetitive nature (every 10 min) makes me think not NT...DD has them when over tired, & it's one humongous episode of screaming, thrashing, not being awake, etc., like other posters have stated, & for DD it usually lasts about 1/2 hr. DD did have periods where her sleeping was disrupted similar to what's described in the OP. Occasionally it would happen when teething, but mostly b/c she was sensitive to dairy & we didn't know it.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #14
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:

For everyone questioning the Cow's milk wouldn't a true allergy show the minute he had diary. I mean he started having milk based yogurt around 10 months old, and then went straight to whole milk at 1 year, and didn't do this. Plus his formula was pure milk based. Wouldn't he has "reactions" like this every night? He drinks milk everyday?
I am still convinced its a too tired thing. Daddy just recently started working a different shift, and the time change screwed us up, and instead of 7pm bedtime, its become closer to 8:30pm, and if he doesn't get his full 2 naps in, he doesn't do well at night.
He hasn't done this weird thing though since that last time, so I don't know.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That sounds like how ds1's night terrors were when he was that age. He had them for a few months and then they went away and haven't been back.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote