Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Registered Users
anyone with an older child with some plagio (flat head)

I had a hard delivery with my first child 13 years ago. He dropped when I was 29 weeks so I had to go on bedrest until I had him at 26 1/2 weeks. He was born head up and he had a bad cone head. At that time I didnt know about plagio or helmets and I didnt even have internet back then except for at work. His left ear kept folding forward and I couldnt understand why that one did and the other didnt. But one day when he was around 4 weeks old my mom was holding him and I saw his top of head looking down from a bird's view. Well his head was all flat on the left side and his left ear looked closer to his face. I flipped out. My mom helped me as we tried to position him through the next couple of months. I didnt mention it to the babysitter because I didnt want people to look for it. I did mention it to the dr and he said it would even out and not to worry. Of course this was 13 years ago. Well my son's left ear ended up sticking out and he got picked on so he had ear surgery to fix it. It did get better and its probably mild now but you dont notice it unless he looks in the mirror a certain way. I did measure his ears to his eyes when it started looking better and his left ear is only 1/8th inch closer that the other but thats not bad and I dont think any of us are symmetrical. But if he was to ever shave his head your would notice that the left back of his head is flatter and that his left ear looks closer to his face even though not much. I dont know why it looks worse in the mirror.

But my thing is that my son is getting older and I wonder if any other kids notice and if he even notices. Im worried one day he might shave his head and get picked on or he might blame me. I think my mom saw the helmet thing on tv when he was around a year old or something. I cant remember. I just remember thinking now its too late. My mom says she doesnt notice it anymore but I know its still there. I cut his hair now so I notice when I cut it. I just wish that it was talked about more back then so I could have fixed it. But I dont even know if they like to helmet mild cases because I think his is probably mild now.

fulloflove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: anyone with an older child with some plagio (flat head)

They will not do a helmet after 12 months. We saw one neurosurgeon who said don't do it but our facial features were very aligned and his concern was a helmet could make the back better but face worse. A second one said he might have recommended it but it was too late (we were 14-15 months.) It really depends on who you talk to. We tried to reposition with sleeping and our son refused. It got a lot better the older he got but one said is still really flat (but we had a skull fracture so we think he focused on one side of sleeping due to pain).
Mom to my wonderfully sweet toddler who is the joy of our lives. :
pcjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: anyone with an older child with some plagio (flat head)

My youngest has a slightly flattened head. I have not measured lately to tell you how off it really is at this point but when his head is shaved (which it was for the last year) it is noticeable to me anyway. I carried him low and he came out posterior and face presenting. He had torticollis and was stuck with his head to one side for the first 4 months of his life. We successfully treated him with stretches and chiropractic so his neck went back into alignment but his head was flattened. By 9 months his pedi was no longer concerned but now I kind of wish we had pushed for a helmet because, as I say, it is still noticeable to me. When he was 2 and I gave him a mohawk for the first time was when I really noticed that it had totally rounded back out (until then he had long hair) and since then I've kind of watched but I don't think it will ever round out perfectly. He is 6 now and it isn't that noticeable, I don't think anyone but me notices and I know to look for it. My head isn't perfectly round either, I have a ridge down the middle of my skull and since I shave my head it is very noticeable (like I have a mohawk all of the time) and I have a slight flat spot on one side.
ShannonInk'd, Atheist, Liberal, Part Time Large Equipment Mechanic, HS-ing, Mum to ASD Ninja Kearnan (8-4-01) & Derby Boy Tharen (12-1-05)
Always remembering Arawyn Born Silently (12-21-03)
Crocheted longies/shorties, toys and more see samples Arawyn's Garden Crochet
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote