Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

How long does it take you to get your family out the door in the morning?

We just moved and for the first time since having kids, I have a commute (previously, home, work, and day care were all within 4 blocks of each other). I need to be pulling out of the garage at 8:30 to get everyone where they need to be on time, so it's not a bad commute but still an adjustment.

I am NOT a morning person. I have been getting up at 6:30 and the kids (2 and 5) are up around 7. My husband leaves really early so I am getting them ready on my own. I am running late almost every day so far, so clearly I need to allow more time and/or do more preparation the night before.

How long do other WOH mamas allow to get going in the am? Any morning time-saving tips?

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: How long does it take you to get your family out the door in the morning?

With 4 kids it takes me 2 hours with feeding them breakfast, before the baby 1.5 hours for everything.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow I feel slow. 1.5 hours, we don't breakfast at home, DH does most of the work of getting LO ready, I've prepped as much as possible the night before. When I had an EBF baby at home and needed to pump too, it was more like 2.5 hours for me, 1-1.5 for DH.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm up at 5:45 and get DD up by 7:00. We strive to leave before 8:00. I usually make her lunch in the morning. It saves a ton of time to have lunch made the night before, clothes laid out and a kid who got a good night's sleep. I'm late every time we have a cranky kid morning.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I.m the one who leaves super early here, but DH gets the kids up approximately 25 minutes before they walk out the dor. He gets ready and then heads upstairs with their clothes. Has them brush teeth and use the bathroom and heads downstairs where they put on shoes and brush hair. Then out the door!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #6
missydawn
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Wow I feel slow. 1.5 hours, we don't breakfast at home, DH does most of the work of getting LO ready, I've prepped as much as possible the night before. When I had an EBF baby at home and needed to pump too, it was more like 2.5 hours for me, 1-1.5 for DH.
My kids are older so that helps. I only have one that cannot dress himself everyone else is pretty independant.
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
kaysmom
Registered Users

I need to leave my house at 7:20 and I try and get up at 6:15, sometimes I hit the snooze I save time by showering at night and then if I want to wear my hair down the next day I blow dry it and straighten it that evening too so it just needs a touch up in the am.
I also lay everyone's clothes out for them the night before, including mine so there is no standing around wondering what to wear! I also pack lunches the night before and have everyones stuff, and backpacks loaded up and at the top of the steps so we can grab them on the way out.
My kids are 3 and 6 so the little one eats at daycare so I usually get my 6 year old up about 10 minutes earlier for a bowl of cereal and then there are some days where they get dry cereal in a baggie in the car because things got too chaotic, and if it really gets bad I have the older one eat breakfast at school instead of going outside for morning recess.
It's hard, but it works for us so far!
kaysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am the one that leaves early.

I get up between 5:20 and 5:30--shower, dress, feed & let the dog out, make my coffee. Usually transfer a load of laundry to the dryer and occasionally make DS1 lunch and am out the door between 5:55 and 6:00am

DH gets the other kids up and out of the house.

DH and DS1 get up at 7--DS1 gets dressed, eats breakfast and on the bus at 7:35. Then he gets DS2 and DD1 up, breakfast, dressed and to daycare between 8:30/9:00. Then he goes to work sometime after that.

I do as much as possible the night before or on Sunday.

Sunday--- I lay out everyone's clothes for the week. Each kid has t his organizer
---I pack the weeks worth of diapers for daycare for the baby.

Each night before
---I pack DS1 lunch and put in in the fridge. I add ice packs before leaving for work.
--make sure shoes are by the door
---sign and put folders in back packs by the door.

Last edited by Nerissa; 04-11-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Nerissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

I think the 2 year old is what really slows me down. One morning he's fine, the next morning he throws his yogurt across the room and has a wailing world-is-ending meltdown because I tell him it's time to brush teeth.

But, as many of you suggest, getting what I possibly can ready the night before (clothes selected, lunches and my bag packed) will free up the extra minutes to deal with the unexpected toddler behavior.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
AQW
Registered Users
seller

About 2 hours. I get up by 5:45 to shower and get myself ready. I wake up my 4 year old around 6:30 so he can eat. Sometimes my 11 year old feeds him. 4 year old dresses himself, i groom him. Around 7 I feed the baby and get him ready. I try to be out the door by 7:30 at the latest. My DH leaves early so it's just me and the boys but they actually are pretty mellow and helpful most mornings (except the 8 week old).

I do all the prep the night before. Make my lunch, wash/prep bottles, pack the diaper bag, my pump bag, and work bag. Unfortunately, it can't all be packed ahead of time because some stuff is in the fridge. I think getting dressed slows me down the most but I haven't found the energy to do that they night before yet. Noting fits right and it's just not fun right now.

Of course I haven't been doing this routine long yet and a crying newborn had slowed it down too.