Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #101
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you could quit, would you?

If I could I would. DH lost his job in February and we had our first baby this April. I went back to work 7 weeks postpartum. It was and still is really hard for me to go to work. DH is a SAHD while still searching for a job. If he gets something that pays well enough, I will at least go to part time. My hope is that he can find something so I can someday be a SAHM. I could find plenty to keep me busy with DD, our pets and volunteering. I currently work at an animal shelter and I love my job, but it is a very stressful and emotional place to be.

Advertisement

Hi-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #102
magoose
Registered Users

Yes, I would. i only work part time and get a year for mat leave (hooray Canada!!), but I hate having to work and I miss my kids. I hate paying for someone else to watch them, esp since finding good daycare is so hard and expensive in my city. I go back to work in February so we'll have to look at things and go from there. DH and I always talk about how if we ever win the lottery the first thing I'm going to do is quit my job
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #103
aunt_freya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Nope.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #104
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

If I could quit in the sense of coming into a fortune and never needing to work again, absolutely. I would probably pursue some hobbies/volunteering, but not 40 hours/week.

If I could kinda sorta quit, maybe for a few years but it would be tight, no. I see too many potential consequences I wouldn't like.

What I would LOVE, would be to have more vacation time. DH has 4 weeks of vacation a year and I'm so jealous.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #105
dealdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In a heartbeat! Unfortunately for me, I make more than my DH (I'm an engineering manager, he's in finance), so if anyone gets to be a SAHP, it would be him. Lucky for us, we both get a lot of vacation time.
dealdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #106
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today I will definitely say yes! I am pregnant, tired, irritable and it's getting hard to juggle home, a 5 year old, a husband, and being a wife. I wish I could quit, but it's not financially doable at all. We don't live a lavish lifestyle either.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #107
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

depends on the day you ask me.

Basically though no, i love my job
Old 08-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #108
Mommy of 2girls
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I love my job! If only I didn't have to bring so much of it home with me! I wouldn't quit! I am a teacher and love it
Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #109
crumpetmlp
Registered Users
seller

Yes I would, in a heart beat. Every day I feel like I'm going against my heart when I leave, and hate it. I want to be home with my kids so bad I cry about it a lot, but we can't afford it either.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #110
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I kinda already did. lol. Left my job just before I had #2 last year. But I loved working, just felt forced to leave by the circumstances - to be honest we couldn't afford it since at the time I made 60% of our income, and to this day my DH is still not happy with my decision.

The things I hated were my commute, having to be away 50+ hours a week, and coming home to a wrecked house every day. Wasn't happy with my childcare situation either (an in-law). I also had no maternity leave.

Now I work from home as a freelancer, and it is super-hard, but I wouldn't give up the time I've been able to spend with my kids for anything. However, if DH came home tomorrow and I didn't have to work anymore (financially), I'd probably get a part-time nanny so I could work more but be able to do it during the week instead of after 10pm and on weekends LOL. I worked 11 hours last weekend, after staying up super late almost every single night during the week, and I hate that because my house was a wreck, I was snippy with my kids and DH, and I just felt too stressed. I want a good balance of being able to afford to send DS to preschool and having time to work, and also having time to be with the kids and do fun activities and park time during the week.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote