Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #41
Sarai*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you could quit, would you?

Interesting to read all the replies.

I think I would quit, but do more volunteer work. I still want to get out of the house and do something for humanity, but completely dictate my schedule around my family's needs, and take time off with my husband whenever, without having to match schedules.

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #42
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

I just started working again 3 wks ago, after almost 7 years, with one job that lasted 3 months that I HATED. Honestly, I can tell a HUGE difference in my attitude and demeanor. I was not meant to be a full-time SAHM. I did it, because I could, and went to college p/t when it was convenient to the family. I am "just" a cashier at Rite Aid, working for 7.30/hr. I wouldn't give up my job if I had extra income (heck, even child support) coming in. I would prefer though to work daytime hours!!! My 3 wks of schedules have been from 4pm to midnight or 6 to midnight, ranging from 34-38 hrs. I'm missing A LOT of time with my kids! I actually let DD1 skip Pre-K today just so she, DD2, and I could hang out together, then took them into extended care before I went to work.

My job is a no brainer, but I absolutely LOVE being around people. I loved working at McDonalds in high school because it was non stop doing something. I suck at managing being a SAHM, I never know what to do to stimulate the kids. I am still on top of housework thankfully, even with working late hours.
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #43
FilipinaMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely quit. I've been a SAHM before, and I loved it (I still had to babysit kids out of my home to make ends meet). I feel like being with my child is a once and a lifetime thing. They only grow up once. I can always work later!
FilipinaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #44
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am an RN working evenings (part time) and I love my job but hate going to work. Does that make sense? I love the days I get to stay home with my kids (4-5 days a week) and I do not miss not going in to work those days. I think balancing the life of a SAHM is much easier (sorry) rather than trying to balance staying at home in the morning and then working until midnight. It is exhausting.

On the days that I am home, we have activities, house is cleaned, dinner is done and we are on the go. It is great. Unfortunately, the same applies when I work- it is like working 2 jobs.

One day I pray that we will be able to afford for me to stay home. (And no, we don't have any major debt or credit cards other than our house payment- the cost of living here is just high).
Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #45
Cathypie
Registered Users
seller

IN. A. HEARTBEAT. I'm a CNA in a nursing home. While there are some parts of my job that I find somewhat rewarding, I would quit and never look back. This job is far to physically and sometimes emotionally challenging. The emotional part mostly comes from stress. I would SAH with the kids and probably have another. I plan on homeschooling so I don't know that I would ever go back.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #46
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad other women are honest about this! I don't think I'm cut out to be a SAHM full time. But I'm also not cut out to work full-time either. My current job is office manager at a small Audiology practice. I was hired at the VERY beginning and have helped build what we have...I love my job.

That said...when we get busy enough to warrant hiring another person I will approach my boss about going down to 3 days a week instead of 4. My job will then consist of doing the billing/advertising/etc rather than the secretarial stuff.

It helps that my boss is a dad to 4 (almost 5) kids and they CD. He is SUPER understanding and loves that my kids come first to me!

I'm a much better mom when I have time away. I love my boys dearly...but I also need the "adult" time that I have too! My dh works long hours (because he's a workaholic ) and if I stayed home full-time it would be difficult.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #47
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would not quit and am not interesting in being a SAHM, it is just not for me. I actually wish I was the type that was well suited for staying at home, but I'm not. I'd like to work part time, but my job doesn't offer it.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #48
mommysoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No. But I wld take the rest of the year off so I cld be home with my 2mo old for a yr and I wld go part-time. The only reason I work full-time now is for insurance bc hubbys company doesn't offer any . I'm a RN shift leader on a med/surg unit.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #49
kanga1622
Registered Users

In a heartbeat. Considering he makes half of my salary, that will never happen. I am so jealous that he works for a school district and gets the summers off. My maternity leave was the only long period of time I was able to focus solely on my home and family.

I am not sure I am totally cut out to be a SAHM but I would love the opportunity to find out. I know DS would love going with me to the library, Walmart, grocery store, etc. He would love to have days with me out and about. We could walk every day with nice weather, play in his sandbox, visit the park...
Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #50
pharmmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga1622 View Post
In a heartbeat. Considering he makes half of my salary, that will never happen. I am so jealous that he works for a school district and gets the summers off. My maternity leave was the only long period of time I was able to focus solely on my home and family.
My husband makes about 1/3 the salary that I do, but my timeline is to put in my 2 weeks notice for the end of this year. We figured out that a giant chunk of my salary is going towards daycare and if we didn't need to pay for that, then his salary actually goes a lot farther. Right now we pay $1400/month for daycare for the 2 kids.
Pharmacist, wife to a nerdy chemist, and proud mama to Leta (12/2006), Derek (4/2009) and Viola (7/2012). Now if only I could figure out a way to quit my job and still pay my student loans all would be well with the world.
pharmmama is offline   Reply With Quote