Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
lizad777
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Baby carrier for plus size mamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj2blessed View Post
Hmmm, I'm plus sized and never had a problem with the carriers I've had (BabyHawk, FreeHand Mei Tai, Beco Butterfly)...

What type of carrier did you try? How old/what size is your baby? Do you have any friends that baby wear or a local support group so that you can "try before you buy" so you don't strike out again?
Hi it was one from walmart ? something HUG, and my baby will be a NB. I wish I had somewhere to try them out 1st. TY

Advertisement

lizad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
clover
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizad777 View Post
I haven't had her yet, but she will be a NB and I guess really just interested in front wearing if thats what you mean.
Yup, that's exactly what I meant. For a newborn, my top three recommendations are usually a ring sling, a wrap, and a mei tai. All three are basically unstructured fabric carriers that are very adjustable for all sized wearers. Ring slings do come in different lengths, but depending on your body shape/size you may be fine with a standard size ring sling. If not, you can get one with extra length. Wraps come in two different types, stretchy and woven; stretchy wraps are one size fits most (and really, they do fit most people, it's a lot of fabric!) while woven wraps come in different sizes. A woven wrap that is about 4.5 meters in length is usually long enough for most people up to about a size 14/16 to use and then there are lengths longer than that as well (up to about 5.5 meters, which is very, very long!). With a mei tai, the standard strap lengths are pretty generous, but a lot of brands also offer XL straps too for plus sized wearers or for average wearer's who want more length to do different finishing ties.

Hope that helps... if you have any other questions, ask away!
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had very good luck with the Moby. I'm a very fluffy mom and was able to use that with my daughter from newborn until she was over a year. Only reason I'm not carrying her now is because she's gotten mobile and doesn't like to be worn now. Never had much luck with anything else though.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

I'm not plus sized, but I really wanted a ring sling that was extra big and had a very long tail because DS1 loooved it and napped, laying down, IN the sling until he was 2. My SIL had a WAHM custom make one for me and I LOVED it. When my best friend (who IS plus sized, she has PCOS) got pregnant, I let her use it until she was done and it worked wonderfully for her! She looked beautiful in it, IMO. It fit her just right. It was so well made and I am certain that I will love it for DS3. It was so well made and is still in perfect condition. I would absolutely go the WAHM route!!!
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Mamata3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I am plus sized and I love my beco butterfly 2. I am 5 foot 9inches and wear a 16-18 when not pregnant.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #16
catalina76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am plus size and have a beco butterfly II and love it. Just tried a Ergo organic a month ago and found it even more comfy under the arms so I will be getting one of those too now.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #17
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I have a beco butterfly II, an Ergo with a waist stap extender and a normal length moby and they all work fine. I prefer the fit of the butterfly right now just because of the length issue (I'm 5'10'') and have been wondering if the Ergo Sport or Performance would have done me better.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #18
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Boba makes a wrap that is similar to the Moby but it fits a plus sized woman better IMO.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have the Maya wrap ring sling large. I wear anywhere from a size 20-24 and it fits well from birth to toddler. I have a picture of me carrying my 8 year old just out of curiosity. I would prefer a longer tail for nursing coverage but still like it a lot as is especially the pocket on the tail.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
MamaRachel
Registered Users
Formerly: *lsilver*
seller

My Mood:

I'm plus sized (around a 22) and for the newborn stage I like ring slings (most of mine are size large from Comfy Joey) and woven wraps (my fav is a size 7 Girasol)
Once baby is a bit older I really like Mei Tais (every brand I've tried had straps long enough to use, though I prefer the ones that offer XL straps). Ergos also work well if you get the waist extender. I did not need an extender with the Becos I've tried.