Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have to get induced

I called my doctor yesterday after doing some research, I've been having severe itching at night for a few weeks now but recently had started getting worse along with swollen hands and feet. After speaking to the prenatal center at my clinic I was advised to go to the hospital. They ran 3 blood tests and my doctor came by to see me and said it was most likely cholestasis of pregnancy (a liver disease where the normal flow of bile in the gallbladder is affected due to the high amounts of pregnancy hormones) she said I will be getting induced between 37-38 weeks but if my blood tests come back really abnormal that induction will probably have to happen earlier. Starting monday i have to go to the hospital twice a week for fetal monitoring, check my fluid level, blood work, check blood pressure etc. I also have to take a medication for this 3 times a day! I now have 6 pills i take everyday

I'm sooo not ready to have him yet

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
ddc

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I just came out the other side of cholestasis. It is scary but with medication and monitoring, you and baby should be just fine!

Keep in mind that your chance of delivering early on your own is pretty high. I'm very glad your doctor is actually treating you because so many OBs refuse to even acknowledge the condition, let alone treat it appropriately. Just be prepared for baby to come before they induce you. My cholestasis was very well controlled with medication and diet and baby was still born today at 36w6d.

Good luck!!
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: I have to get induced

I think you're the third mama in this group to have Choleostasis. Cali just had her little guy and they're fine, and there's one more mama who's name escapes me who's facing induction soon - sorry not awake enough yet to remember. The good news is, you're getting pretty close to the end already, and that your condition has been diagnosed and is being treated. It sucks, but it could be much worse.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
ashayla&acensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are the fourth in our DDC to have Cholistasis. I have it, CaliRoll and Jessicalev8. I am being induced on Monday (37w5d) and Jessica I believe on Tuesday? While it is scary (especially at first), CaliRoll is right. Just keep up with the meds, low fat diet and monitoring and you will be just fine (baby too). I had to PUSH for tests, and a little for my induction... you are lucky that your dr knows how to treat you without researching or being pushed. You have about a week, right? Just get what you can done, and hopefully you have some support that will help too. If you need some relief from itching, try Serna lotion, or since I couldn't find it I bought Equate brand medicated anti itch lotion (menthol).. it is AWESOME. Hope you find some relief and comfort!!!
Check out ICP Care Itchy Moms on FB, too. It is a great support group

Married Momma of 4 DS (2-00), DD1 (12-05),DS(8-08)and DD2 (3-12)
ashayla&acensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

Youll be fine mama. Im glad your doc is taking it seriously! Im being induced tuesday and it is really scary but Im just ready to stop worrying about the baby - thats definitley the worst part of cholestasis.

I can control the itch a little by keeping cold. We've had the ac cranked up lol. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
And just to note, delivery really does cure cholestasis! LOL. I'm not even a full day post partum and the itching is almost non-existent!
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
lydoomizelaine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas I have to call the hospital Monday to see when I can start my nst monitoring. I'm so glad my doctor ran tests and knew what it was from my symptoms.