Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
3 kids under 2 years old

Just seeing if there are any other mamas that have three kids under 2 years old. When this little rainbow is born my twin girls will be 23 months. Any advice?

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 kids under 2 years old

Mine were not quite that young, but close. When my first set of twins was born, my oldest was 26 months. When my second set of twins was born, my first set of twins was 27 months and my older was 4.5. So, I had 4 who were barely 2 and under. This time will be a little more. My younger twins will be 30 months when this baby is born.

Anyway, I'd plan to babywear a lot if you are into that. I also had (and still have) a playroom that was gated and completely safe. So, if I needed to, I would put the older twins in the playroom so I could nurse or deal with the babies. I could also put all of us in there. I could nurse while they played and not have to worry about them wondering off.

Make things simple. I wouldn't try to make fancy lunches or worry about the house being perfect. Just do the best you can and don't worry about it. Relax and allow yourself grace. If anyone offers help, take it. I suggest having them play with the olders or help with laundry or whatever else around the house....cooking maybe. You take care of baby and/or sleep. It's very helpful to have someone distract the olders for a couple of hours.

Congrats on your new baby. It will work out just fine.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks! I am not too worried, just looking for advice from surviving moms It is nice to know someone else who has a few kids that are very young, there is a support group here locally for 2 under 2 but we will have 3 under 2. I think I might join anyway, some of the info will transfer.

We have a playroom that is all gated off so no one can break out. I also talked my hubby into getting a housekeeper to come once a week to clean the kitchen and bathrooms. It would be nice to have those rooms clean with out me having to scrub it!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
holl_ie
Registered Users
seller

My twins were born when my big guy was 23 months old.It was a lot easier in the beginning than I anticipated but it was pretty rough from when they were 1.5 and he was 3.5.After six months things began to calm down and now a year later they life is still wild but way more manageable.

You may want to stockpile some quiet activities or special toys for when baby needs one on one time and plan activities.outings with just the big girls once in awhile when baby is asleep or someone else has her/him.

We found a neat dollhouse bookshelf on Craigslist and the dolls/furniture only come out for special times when I need to be one on one with someone or get classwork done.It is larger than a regular dollhouse and more open so lots of kids can play and I like that they pieces are bigger and not a choking hazard.

It sounds like you have a great plan already! Good Luck!
holl_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
GodLover
Registered Users
seller

God bless you! ahhh When #4 arrives we will have 2 under 2!!
GodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #6
lilac0226
Registered Users

I did it the opposite way, had 1 and then got twins with a 22 month gap. Sounds like you have lots of positives with the housekeeper and playroom. I never did get the housekeeper, we discussed it but never did do it. My whole downstairs being kid friendly helped a lot. Hubby had his "man cave" upstairs. If possible I would look into a gym that does daycare. That was my nice escape, we have a super nice gym in our area that takes kids ages 6 weeks and up. If I was feeling overwhelmed it was nice to drop kids off and then go swimming or find a comfy couch in the lobby and read a book, I occasionally worked out but mostly just enjoyed my 30 min-1 hr of me time.

Hopefully you live near family or friends brave enough to take twins or even one of them occasionally. The twins probably occupy themselves pretty good but it does help a lot when a new baby comes if the older siblings can get special attention from people while mommy is busy. My husband has been slacking at it lately but while I was pregnant he started daddy dates, every Friday he would take one child to go get ice cream. Grandma will often take 1 kid overnight a couple times a month.

The baby is going to be the easy part, you survived twins. All the time people will ask me if I need help and in my brain there is a part of me that thinks help with what. I could carry a diaper bag, a baby in a sling, a baby carrier, and hold a toddlers hand when my twins were born. Right now I have a baby and a diaper bag, this is a piece of cake. Nursing, easy. Getting up at night with one baby, easy. I joked that my life wouldn't be much different after she was born that I would just throw her in a sling, and so far that is pretty much it. My older kids are my challenge.

One thing I would say is to really push nap time with the twins. My twins stopped napping at around 2 1/2, with a baby I think you will need the down time. I tried so many things with my twins, the only thing that really worked was having them sleep in separate rooms.

Good luck! And I hope everything goes smoothly.
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

Watching this with interest! We may start using our frosties soon and if I got pg it would mean 3 under 2 and I'm a little nervous.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
ivparker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done it, maybe even twice. I can't do the math right now. That's how much things are a blur. I know that when my oldest turned 2, I had a 2yo, 1yo, and newborn. And it might have happened again with other kids down the line. Its not too bad. I think its actually really good for the kids as well. I did things simply and still do. Like, whenever we had to leave the house I would grab one bigger water bottle of water and a bag of cherrios. I would see my friends with a made out sippy cup for each child, special containers with food in for each child. Just never happened. I used to feel bad about it but I realized a couple things. I think my kids are better for it. Everything is about us and not always about them. I think having each kid with their own thing can bring out selfishness. Also, even now my friends with 2 kids feel like they have to prepare that way and they seem to be late to everything, when my simple ways make it a lot easier for me to leave the house. OH, I also got this stroller. http://www.albeebaby.com/valco-baby-...chocolate.html with the toddler seat http://www.albeebaby.com/valco-twin-toddler-seat.html
It is expensive but it was so worth it. Not only did it hold 3 kids but it was really easy to push one handed. So I would be holding my 3yo hand with my 2yo, 1yo, and newborn riding. and it wasn't too bad. More then I ever thought I would/could spend on a stroller, but it was worth it for us.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Long ago. Our twins were 20 months when our third arrived.