Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
When would you worry...

About letters being written backwards?
I have been trying to keep in mind age, grade(3rd), etc. However something that happened last week has bothered me. DD keeps writing Y's backwards. There is another letter to but I forget now what I think C's. She did it with a lot of letters but has improved. Last week though she had a fit at me about the y's not being backwards. The y's were totally backwards. Oh she does it with 4's to.
I saw her write I think c's half right and half backwards so I wonder if maybe this is a real issue and since she saw the word (spelling words) she did the first page correct. Second set of the 5 times she did wrong. I made her correct them but Should I say something? Should I wait until next year since we don't have much longer and will be switching schools?

ETA: Yes I know it seems odd that Y's can be backwards maybe but they are. I told someone this and they asked how I knew. I wish I had an example to show you.

Advertisement

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 03-26-2012 at 12:32 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When would you worry...

I wrote my 5's backwards until 4th grade. In my mind it looked right.

My parents and teachers didn't seem too worried...although my 2nd grade teacher made separate math sheets for me on occasion where the answers seemed to include a lot of fives.

I'm not sure if it's something to make a big deal out of or not...hope someone else has better answers for you!

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
If I remember correctly its fairly common until 7-8? My 7yr still makes 2,5 and 6 backwards and has to stop n think about b and d. As far as Im concerned-with her- she just needs more practice. During school(we hs) I do correct her and make her redo it if its on homework.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #4
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

My husband wrote his P's backwards until a few years ago when I told him. They looked like lower case Q's. He said no one ever told him, but I still don't know how he could write p as q and not be able to tell the difference.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
ralenth
Registered Users

How old is she? What grade? Can you talk to her teacher, and request that the OT at school take a look? I have 2 kiddos (kindergarten and 3rd grade) getting help for their handwriting (along with speech), and with both of them it wasn't just the letter reversals, there really was more to it than that. My 3rd grader by far has the worst handwriting in his class, but isn't reversing his letters any more. And he's been learning cursive, which has helped quite a bit.
ralenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

She is 9 years old and 3rd grade. They don't teach cursive in her current school at all.
She can write pretty good if she takes her time, but is sloppy even on non issue letters. Her mama is the same way.. (me)