Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever use a live-in nanny?

My input is a little more second hand. I was a back-up to a family (two residents) if their nanny had to leave. I was 3rd in line actually. They only used me twice for unexpected times (Once was a funeral and I can't remember what happened the second time). Anyhow, they had it set up at a daycare center in town so I only had to take care of the kiddos in the morning and then take them all to daycare, and then pick them up later. I was a college student so I still needed to be able to go to class. It wasn't ideal but it worked for the parents. I was a nursing student and that is how we met.

Otherwise I babysat a couple of times for planned events.

Now, my brother and sil use a live-out nanny. Live-in nanny's are rare here or they would have preferred that. Until recently my brother had to travel in all of the Western half of the US for two weeks then home working for two weeks. My sil is an aprn at a sliding fee scale clinic and for a long time they were able to make her work 70-80 hours a week. BUT, she had very little call. They use a combo of nanny's. It has worked out well overall but their primary nanny keeps having things come up in her personal life so they end up figuring out a new plan. They have twins that were quite premature but they are 1 now and quite healthy and working hard with the nanny was definitely worth it.

Oh, and if you want to relocate after your residency you could both certainly come to Nebraska! It may sound boring but we are quite a wonderful state. I work for an independent hospital on their psych unit and I'm sure our outpatient clinic would be interested anytime you'd want to move. Working for an independent hospital (we are still not-for-profit) definitely has its perks

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #22
OatmealKisses
Registered Users
seller

I was a live-out nanny for years. I could tell you one horror story after the next of parents treating me like garbage, including one family that had their kid taken away from them by the state. I loved their kids, every single one of them. That's what kept me in that line of work. I stopped after I got married. Now I stay at home with my son and watch someone else's baby on the side.

I purposely never wanted to be a live-in for many of the reasons others mentioned. I've heard pretty much nothing but bad things from other nannies. As bad as most of my experiences were at least my day ended the minute I walked out their door.

Last edited by OatmealKisses; 03-25-2012 at 09:47 PM.
OatmealKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #23
naomi's mama
Registered Users
seller

Don't forget to look into taxes-social security, medicare and unemployment taxes that you will need to pay. And be clear to your nanny what it will be. You may not need to take out income taxes for her, but at least the SSN, medicare, and UI taxes (state & federal).
naomi's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #24
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

An au-pair may be a good option as they live in and they can't just quit very easily. I thought they worked 45 hours a week?

I've heard good and bad stories about either. Key is finding someone you can trust!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
Bum-fabulous
Registered Users

Good point about the taxes, I didn't even think of that. Hmmm I am wondering if I use an agency if they will take care of that?
Bum-fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.breedlove-online.com/ This is a company you can use. Neither of my employers did it but I made sure they took out my taxes. They ended up having to make a corporation that didn't make money in order to do it. I am unsure how this company handles it.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #27
Bum-fabulous
Registered Users

^^I really appreciate that, thanks!
Bum-fabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love. Love, Loved our aupairs. Problem might be they can only work 45 hours a week but if you had regular day care or pre school too you would probably be OK on hours. We used Aupair in America. The support from an agency is so nice. My DH was a resident and I am a nurse when we had our AuPair. He is staff now and I am a SAHM for now although it is about to drive me crazy!

My kids miss our AuPair but we are still in touch buy e-mail, skype. She was from Costa Rica and she taught the kids spanish which is really cool.

Good Luck and Hang in there!
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote