Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
BCsMom
Registered Users
seller

Any runners?

Hi all! I'm new here, so I don't know if this has been discussed...I've been running through my pregnancy (ran my fastest 5k a week before I found out I was pregnant in August!). I was running about 20 miles a week pre-pregnancy, and then have been lowering that all the way along so I was at 10 miles two weeks ago and only did five last week. Not sure how long I should/would keep running... I was wondering if anyone had experience with running in the 8th and 9th month?

Advertisement

BCsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any runners?

I guess compared to you, I WAS a runner. It's amazing that you're still at it - I really couldn't imagine running right now! I stopped running just a couple of weeks into my pregnancy because I was too exhausted. Like you, I was running about 20 miles a week. My practitioner told me that it was fine to continue running as long as I felt okay. You should probably talk to your doctor/midwife at this stage, though. If s/he doesn't think it's a good idea, you could always pick up swimming for the last few weeks to keep yourself moving!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

I was running 20-25 miles a week before I got pregnant but was put on bed rest in the first trimester for bleeding so I stopped. My on said she would prefer I walked instead. I'm excited to start again though, after I heal up from the CS! I know it will be slows going though. I also know that I will get there because I have loved running for over 10 years now!!
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
crunch!910
Registered Users

I was running a mile daily (gee, I thought that was good!) up until the all day, non stop morning sickness hit. By the time it ended, it wouldn't have been a good idea to try to start up running again (past 20wks).
Old 03-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
BCsMom
Registered Users
seller

It's been a lot tougher to run, obviously, but I got a good maternity support belt and that helped a lot. I'm running on a track so it's a lot softer. The running actually feels okay (I go really slow! I sometimes think I could walk faster!), but I think it's sapping more of my energy than is good at this point. I just feel guilty for thinking about stopping running (I know, that's so stupid) because it's my main form of exercise right now. I don't know how long it will take to get back into it after the baby, too.
BCsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
LnzsOut
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you're not feeling great about running, then it's probably time to consider stopping... maybe your body is telling you it's time to ease up a little. I'm totally impressed that you've been able to continue this long! You can ALWAYS walk for exercise - and some say that's better for you than running anyway because you get the same benefits of running only it's easier on your knees. You'll probably have to stop for a few weeks after giving birth anyway - for me it was 6-8 weeks after giving birth (6 weeks per my Dr. at the time). I fully trained for and ran a half marathon when my son was 10 months old, so you'll be back running in no time
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

I run at least 2x a day right to the bathroom

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
TPLmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun
I run at least 2x a day right to the bathroom
:rotflmbo:

Ditto!
TPLmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Wow, even thinking of running right now makes me tired. That's awesome that you've been able to do that.

Maybe since you're feeling a bit odd about it, it might be better to walk the track instead of run it from now through birth. Less impact on your joints and bouncing of baby. It'll keep your routine and be easier on your body for now but still get you some exercise. Then as you start to heal and feel more like yourself after baby comes you can start picking the running back up as you feel up to it.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
momgoddess
Registered Users
seller

Wow, I envy you. I am barely walking these days.